QM2 Information, Please

HKM

We're considering a first cruise on Cunard, taking the 13-day Norwegian Explorer next May. Looking at the deck plans, the sheltered balconies on deck 5 would seem to offer the best chance for quiet rooms but I'm drawn to the "glass" balconies that seem to be on decks that have potentially noisy public areas above or below. I'm tempted to wait list for a glass balcony but would appreciate comments from those of you who have experienced both. Do you have to make reservations in the buffet in the evening? Are there tables for 2 in the Britannia Dining Room? Does anyone know the cost of internet packages? Is internet available in the staterooms? If anyone has taken this particular cruise, do you recommend a stateroom on the port or starboard side? Thank you so much for any assistance you can provide!

I've mostly been on Deck 5 (seen by most here to be the best of the 4-5-6 sheltered balcony decks) except for the transatlantic for which we were in a glass-fronted balcony on 11. We had no noise problems on 11, and even though it had an adjoining door to the next stateroom we never heard a thing from them. I liked 11 but usually the difference in fare is too much to move me out of 5. If you think you'll be spending much time sitting on the balcony (Scandinavia might not be warm enough for much of this) the glass front is a nice upgrade, though. On a sheltered balcony you can't see the ocean while you're seated, whether on the balcony or in the room itself.

If you're just eating in King's Court buffet no reservations are required. If you're eating in one of the alternative venues on that deck (not buffet) a reservation is probably required.

There are tables for 2 in Britannia, but our tablemates on Cunard trips have always been wonderful dining companions (not always the case when we've cruised on other lines). I'd suggest rolling the dice and getting a table for six.

Internet is available in the staterooms but you may have problems connecting during peak periods. I've never had problems before 7 or 8 AM or after 10 PM. I think 120 minutes is around 55 or 60 dollars (on your third Cunard voyage you get 120 minutes complimentary so I've never paid for a package).

Port or starboard really make no difference, unless you're accustomed to being on one side or the other on a cruise.

We're considering a first cruise on Cunard, taking the 13-day Norwegian Explorer next May. Looking at the deck plans, the sheltered balconies on deck 5 would seem to offer the best chance for quiet rooms but I'm drawn to the "glass" balconies that seem to be on decks that have potentially noisy public areas above or below. I'm tempted to wait list for a glass balcony but would appreciate comments from those of you who have experienced both. Do you have to make reservations in the buffet in the evening? Are there tables for 2 in the Britannia Dining Room? Does anyone know the cost of internet packages? Is internet available in the staterooms? If anyone has taken this particular cruise, do you recommend a stateroom on the port or starboard side? Thank you so much for any assistance you can provide!

Hi HKM. Have you seen this webpage? = https://ask.cunard.com

We prefer our balcony to be shaded as much as possible since my wife had to have an operation for a rodent ulcer caused by the sun.

Therefore, we looked at the route the ship was going to take and the position the sun was likely to be in both in the morning and evening when the ship was likely to be sailing in and out of fjords. We chose a stateroom on the port side as it was more likely to be shaded during these times. This generally worked out very well for us and had the added benefit of the sun being in the best position for photographing the scenery from the balcony.

I forgot to say, we used our balcony a lot, both when in port and when sailing. We went to Norway on Queen Elizabeth in May / June this year and with a few exceptions, the weather was very warm to hot, and sunny (28c in Trondheim and 22c in Honningsvag).

Edited by BORDER REIVER

Don't worry about the sun. Norway in May is rain, nothing but rain.

I am living 500km south of Oslo...

YES!! _ I can confirm that!! :( But still -- we don't get much rain where I come from -- well, not light rain anyway. It was a miserable day on the day we went to Vigeland Park in Oslo -- but I remember it very well. It was really something - unique. I can't think of anything like it anywhere in the World

Barry