Seabourn Odyssey 10/04/14

Sunviking

We will be sailing on the Seabourn Odyssey 10/04/14 ending in Mumbai. I posted this over on the "Ports of Call" forum but I'm not sure many people ever look there. I'm seeking help here because I'm clueless about travel in India. This is what I posted. Any help from the experienced cruisers would be appreciated.

We will be ending a cruise in Mumbai on Wednesday, October 22, 2014. I am trying to arrange for a private tour to Agra. The tour operator has sent me an itinerary which includes a flight from Mumbai to Delhi at 10:35 AM. The ship's scheduled arrival time is 7 AM. I'm worried that the flight might be too early for us to get there on time. Can anyone who has flown out of there give me any advice? I have read of dreadful traffic in Mumbai.

You might start a roll call for your cruise and share your questions there. The traffic in Mumbai is horrendous but it has been a long time since I was there. I'm not sure three hours is enough time. Since your cruise is a long time away, roll call discussions may be of help.

You might start a roll call for your cruise and share your questions there. The traffic in Mumbai is horrendous but it has been a long time since I was there. I'm not sure three hours is enough time. Since your cruise is eleven months away, roll call discussions may be of help.

We had asked for different offers from different agents for our train trip and privat guides (delhi, agra, udaipur)and prices ranged from 200 to 2000 for exactly the same, so be aware.

From Delhi to Agra it is two hours by train from the main station to main station; an interesting adventure.

In Agra stay at the Oberoi and nowhere else. It is fabulous and has direct views and access to the Taj Mahal.

If time visit Udaipur (by plane), and again stay at the fabulously gorgeous Oberoi there. The city is soooo much nicer then other cities in india and has plenty palaces and you can walk the markets that are less crowded and much safer then elswhere.

You should factor in an hour to drive from the port to Mumbai airport. Can be done in 45 minutes, but who needs the stress. There can be long, slow (very long and very slow) queues through security and passport control, often staffed by individuals who will not be hurried, which will only heighten your anxiety and tension. Try to get a later flight or stay overnight in Mumbai and leave for the airport early next am.

We will be sailing on the Seabourn Odyssey 10/04/14 ending in Mumbai. I posted this over on the "Ports of Call" forum but I'm not sure many people ever look there. I'm seeking help here because I'm clueless about travel in India. This is what I posted. Any help from the experienced cruisers would be appreciated.

We will be ending a cruise in Mumbai on Wednesday, October 22, 2014. I am trying to arrange for a private tour to Agra. The tour operator has sent me an itinerary which includes a flight from Mumbai to Delhi at 10:35 AM. The ship's scheduled arrival time is 7 AM. I'm worried that the flight might be too early for us to get there on time. Can anyone who has flown out of there give me any advice? I have read of dreadful traffic in Mumbai.

I think your concerns are well justified. A 10.35 flight to Delhi is too tight.

There are so many uncertainties in India and it is entirely possible that you won't even be able to depart the ship until 9.00am.

Govt officials in India are famous for their "hissy fits" if every "i" is not dotted and every "t" crossed.

My second piece of advice is don't skimp on the time in India. Everybody wants to see the Taj Mahal but there are lots of other things to see within 2 hours drive from Agra so if you can swing a couple of extra days, then do it.

The Oberoi is the place to stay.

You should avoid US based, Indian managed/staffed companies that arrange tours in India. From my experience their rates are about double the correct amount. Tours By Locals has some very competent and reasonably priced Indian guides who can make all the arrangements for you.

Edited by conchyjoe

Agree 100% with the comments of ajpeter. The Oberoi at Agra is Amarvillas and at Udaipur it's Udaivillas. We have stayed at a number of hotels in India, mostly very good, and these are outstanding.

Not sure about Taj being closed on Fridays, since the whole site is not a temple, although there is one. Would pay to check.

If you go through a good travel agent they will arrange local guides, drivers and people to meet you at airports, stations etc.

There are some outstanding sites to visit in India and our e pertinence there on 2 occasions has left us ready to go again.

Agree 100% with the comments of ajpeter. The Oberoi at Agra is Amarvillas and at Udaipur it's Udaivillas. We have stayed at a number of hotels in India, mostly very good, and these are outstanding.

Not sure about Taj being closed on Fridays, since the whole site is not a temple, although there is one. Would pay to check.

If you go through a good travel agent they will arrange local guides, drivers and people to meet you at airports, stations etc.

There are some outstanding sites to visit in India and our e pertinence there on 2 occasions has left us ready to go again.

You are correct. The whole site is not closed on Friday but you will not be able to see it all and if you are going all that way to see the Taj then it makes sense to avoid Fridays if you can.