Anse Marcel

Mtltraveller

any opinions on Anse Marcel? I didn't see many posts about it (or maybe I wasn't looking hard enough :) ), but the most recommended beaches seem to be Orient and Galion. Anse Marcel looks nice from pics, and high end, is that true? Galion looks pretty, and quiet, but maybe a little bit too quiet for my two teens/young adults. Orient on the other side looks too 'party'...

Ideally I would like a nice beach, with coconut trees, lively with music and good food (but no nudity), safe (there were some reports of mugging in Grand Case, no? or is that at night only), and which one would fit the bill? I know I'm not asking much :D

any opinions on Anse Marcel? I didn't see many posts about it (or maybe I wasn't looking hard enough :) ), but the most recommended beaches seem to be Orient and Galion. Anse Marcel looks nice from pics, and high end, is that true? Galion looks pretty, and quiet, but maybe a little bit too quiet for my two teens/young adults. Orient on the other side looks too 'party'...

Ideally I would like a nice beach, with coconut trees, lively with music and good food (but no nudity), safe (there were some reports of mugging in Grand Case, no? or is that at night only), and which one would fit the bill? I know I'm not asking much :D

Where did you here or read of muggings in Grand Case? Never heard that this was more common in Grand Case compared to other places on the island. Even at night we walk the whole of restaurant row at 10-11 at night and never once felt uncomfortable.

I like Anse Marcel. It's on the French side so topplessness is permitted and I have seen topless women here.

Mullet/Maho may be a good combination for your family.

Where did you here or read of muggings in Grand Case? Never heard that this was more common in Grand Case compared to other places on the island. Even at night we walk the whole of restaurant row at 10-11 at night and never once felt uncomfortable.

I like Anse Marcel. It's on the French side so topplessness is permitted and I have seen topless women here.

Mullet/Maho may be a good combination for your family.

A quick search on Google reveals a small number of muggings in Grand Case, including one earlier this month:

GRAND CASE:--- Several business owners in Grand Case are calling on the Collectivity of St. Martin and the State to do something to enhance security in the area. Several of the business persons told SMN News that crime in Grand Case has escalated and it is threatening their businesses and livelihood which according to them is going unnoticed.

According to some business owners and residents, a couple (tourists) was attacked Saturday night as they were approaching their car that was parked in a parking lot. One of the business owner said the couple had just finished dining at one of the restaurants and they were leaving the area when they were attacked. They said the female was punched in her face and she apparently lost some of her teeth while her husband was stabbed multiple times.

Captain of the Gendarmerie Sylvain Jouault confirmed the attack on the couple that took place Saturday night in the Grand Case area. He said that currently the Gendarmes are investigating while the male victim is being treated at the Louis Constant Fleming Hospital for multiple stab wounds. SMN NEWS

A quick search on Google reveals a small number of muggings in Grand Case, including one earlier this month:

GRAND CASE:--- Several business owners in Grand Case are calling on the Collectivity of St. Martin and the State to do something to enhance security in the area. Several of the business persons told SMN News that crime in Grand Case has escalated and it is threatening their businesses and livelihood which according to them is going unnoticed.

According to some business owners and residents, a couple (tourists) was attacked Saturday night as they were approaching their car that was parked in a parking lot. One of the business owner said the couple had just finished dining at one of the restaurants and they were leaving the area when they were attacked. They said the female was punched in her face and she apparently lost some of her teeth while her husband was stabbed multiple times.

Captain of the Gendarmerie Sylvain Jouault confirmed the attack on the couple that took place Saturday night in the Grand Case area. He said that currently the Gendarmes are investigating while the male victim is being treated at the Louis Constant Fleming Hospital for multiple stab wounds. SMN NEWS

Sorry to hear this. The Gendarmes will most likely be visiting Grand Case more. I won't dine in Marigot after dark for years but I have never felt unsafe in Grand Case. I last dined at night in Grand Case 3 times in July.

Obviously I dont know what happened here but a few years ago an off duty Gendarme told me that if he was robbed on the island by gunpoint while off duty he would hand over his wallet because these guys are usually high on drugs and will shoot you. The Gendarme said that there was lots of crime on the island and they all disliked being stationed there. Many of the restaurant owners have mentioned being robbed over night of their liquor.

I honestly did not here that things were any better or any worse during my visit in July and we know some of the owners of the restaurants in Grand Case now. It sounded like things were much the same.

Edited by Karysa

Sorry to hear this. The Gendarmes will most likely be visiting Grand Case more. I won't dine in Marigot after dark for years but I have never felt unsafe in Grand Case. I last dined at night in Grand Case 3 times in July.

Obviously I dont know what happened here but a few years ago an off duty Gendarme told me that if he was robbed on the island by gunpoint while off duty he would hand over his wallet because these guys are usually high on drugs and will shoot you. The Gendarme said that there was lots of crime on the island and they all disliked being stationed there. Many of the restaurant owners have mentioned being robbed over night of their liquor.

I honestly did not here that things were any better or any worse during my visit in July and we know some of the owners of the restaurants in Grand Case now. It sounded like things were much the same.

The sad reality is that there are few areas in the world that are totally free of violent crime.

The sad reality is that there are few areas in the world that are totally free of violent crime.

Absolutely true. My life is worth more than the contents of my purse so if they want it they can have it. While on the island I generally carry a small wristlet with a small amount of cash and a credit card when needed. I wear costume artsy jewelery and at night we stick to places where we feel safest like Simpson Bay, Maho and Grand Case although I do not like driving through Marigot on the way back when we visit GC at night while staying in Simpson Bay.