NCL Old City & Spanish Fortress Excursion

cbhummingbird

I am wondering if anyone has done the NCL Old City & Spanish Fortress excursion and can share their thoughts? It takes you inside the fortress, to Las Bovedas, Plaze de Bolivar, the Inquisition Palace, the gold museam, and San Pedro Claver's Sanctuary. It is only $64 a person, but I am wondering if we are better off trying to do some of this on our own, maybe using the hop on/hop off bus?

• 2 weeks later...

I was just there on Celebrity. One note is that it is usually quite hot there. The walk/journey up the fortress is strenuous and quite steep. I talked to several people who did a tour that included the fort and said they have never sweated so much in their lives! I did a tour that included La Popa (on the hill) and a photo stop for the fort and I was glad I did because there was still a fair amount of walking and in the heat I was glad not to be heading up the fort. There is a HOHO and I am sure it has commentary. I have done HOHO buses in other cities and the recording is always excellent and full of info. If you do the HOHO you need to take the one that will get you to the walking tour of the Old City at the right time. I considered the HOHO but Celebrity did not offer it as a tour and the starting point was not right at the dock. I would think that if it is offered by NCL they will have an arrangement to get you to the stop or the HOHO will come to the ship area.

Jen

I am wondering if anyone has done the NCL Old City & Spanish Fortress excursion and can share their thoughts? It takes you inside the fortress, to Las Bovedas, Plaze de Bolivar, the Inquisition Palace, the gold museam, and San Pedro Claver's Sanctuary. It is only $64 a person, but I am wondering if we are better off trying to do some of this on our own, maybe using the hop on/hop off bus?
Edited by Jen1000

You might consider doing a private tour.

We just returned from our cruise and visited Cartagena; for about the same price ( $120 for over 3 hours), the 2 of us had a private custom designed tour. We have been to Cartagena twice before so wanted to see places in the old city and Getsemani. It was wonderful to be able to go where you wanted and still have a local that could explain the history, plus no worries about getting lost or wasting time. We were picked up at the dock and returned with no problems at all!

You might consider doing a private tour.

We just returned from our cruise and visited Cartagena; for about the same price ( $120 for over 3 hours), the 2 of us had a private custom designed tour. We have been to Cartagena twice before so wanted to see places in the old city and Getsemani. It was wonderful to be able to go where you wanted and still have a local that could explain the history, plus no worries about getting lost or wasting time. We were picked up at the dock and returned with no problems at all!

Can I ask who you used?

Can I ask who you used?

We used Jose Villa Jr., I found him on tourguides viator. He also has a site called cartagenadestiny.com

Our tour was on Dec 14 from NCL Sun. He was very good responding to my messages setting things up; tell him Pam & Ray were just there and referred him to you for a ship excursion, and I am sure he will be happy to set up whatever suits you!