Long time carnival cruiser here, debating Norwegian Mexican riviera.

mistyinca

Or, if you want to meet new people you may be asked or can request to sit with others. It's your choice!

Harriet, there is a reason that I never personally suggest this. The 2 cruises that I have been on, I have never once been asked if I wanted to sit with others and yet there were people waiting to be seated with others off to the side. From what I have observed by those who did wish to do this, didn't look overly successful. (Fine with us not to be asked because we would have told them no anyway).

They placed these people at chairs to the side, where they sat and waited. We were half way done our meal when they finally had another group, who I'm assuming must have asked for group seating as well, because as I said we were never asked.

In saying that, if anyone has been very successful, without a long wait and wanted to share this information (like yourself). They were certainly welcome to add it to the thread.

I just won't suggest something that I personally have seen little to no success with. Or have not experienced myself.

If a new cruiser asks will NCL do this, I do tell them yes that I have "heard" they do.

Edited by che5904

Harriet, there is a reason that I never personally suggest this. The 2 cruises that I have been on, I have never once been asked if I wanted to sit with others and yet there were people waiting to be seated with others off to the side. From what I have observed by those who did wish to do this, didn't look overly successful. (Fine with us not to be asked because we would have told them no anyway).

They placed these people at chairs to the side, where they sat and waited. We were half way done our meal when they finally had another group, who I'm assuming must have asked for group seating as well, because as I said we were never asked.

In saying that, if anyone has been very successful, without a long wait and wanted to share this information (like yourself). They were certainly welcome to add it to the thread.

I just won't suggest something that I personally have seen little to no success with. Or have not experienced myself.

If a new cruiser asks will NCL do this, I do tell them yes that I have "heard" they do.

We've done this before on occasion. Not for dinner but for breakfast and/or lunch as we enjoy meeting other people from time to time. We've never had to wait and were seated right away. Most times we were the last at the table and orders were taken. Other times our drink orders were taken and by the time they arrived the last couple arrived, their drink orders were taken along with our breakfast/lunch orders.

Again, we don't do it all the time but on the few occasions we have done it we had a pleasant experience.....as well as met some wonderful people!

It's just an option.

Harriet

It's just an option.

Harriet

Yup I agree, as I said I don't not tell people because I have anything against this option, just I can't in good heart, tell someone something can be done if I don't know it by experience.

Glad it has worked out for you in the past. And that you were able to share your personal experience so everyone knows there is that option.

We've done this before on occasion. Not for dinner but for breakfast and/or lunch as we enjoy meeting other people from time to time. We've never had to wait and were seated right away. Most times we were the last at the table and orders were taken. Other times our drink orders were taken and by the time they arrived the last couple arrived, their drink orders were taken along with our breakfast/lunch orders.

Again, we don't do it all the time but on the few occasions we have done it we had a pleasant experience.....as well as met some wonderful people!

It's just an option.

Harriet

We have had some success with sharing tables on NCL ships in the main dining room. I agree that lunch is the best time to try this. In our experience, shared tables at dinner are offered by the hostess when there are wait times for tables for 2, so you usually get seated sooner than waiting for your buzzer to go off.

We had a bad experience on the Pride of America where we were asked if we wanted to share a table at dinner and the people at the table knew nothing about it and didn't want their order held up. The hostess was clueless. We had to walk out and eat elsewhere. On the Star, twice, we had nice tablemates, but terrible table locations near the galley. I over heard one man answer the "do you want to share a table" question with "yes, but only a larger round table". I think that is smart as the table for 4 can limit your conversation options. We finally signed up for the dinner with an officer this last cruise on the Star and thoroughly enjoyed it. 2 officers (not the captain) and one other couple. NCL picked up the wine tab!