Photo ID for kids

usckatieh

Hi! We decided to take a last minute Eastern Caribbean cruise next month- which will be our first one with the kids. We didn't have time to get them passports, but I have their birth certificates all set for check in. I was wondering though if we should get them photo IDs from the DMV to help make security getting back into the ship at port quicker. I remember them needing drivers licenses for us in Mexico but I wasn't sure if just the set sail pass would be sufficient. I'd prefer carrying a photo ID into port versus their birth certificates if possible. Has anyone experienced any trouble getting kids back on the ship in port and what did they need to see? Our ports are San Jaun and St Maarten. Thanks!

My kids did not have photo ID when they were under 16, just their birth certificates. We did not take their BC off the ship and we did not need them or their photo ID....Just their ship card to get back on in St. Maarten and San Juan. At embarkation and debarkation only their BC was needed.

Only 16 and over need photo IDs....for under 16, a BC is all that's needed. At some ports, they say a photo ID is required to get back into the port area....just bring YOUR DL's and the kid's BC.....most times, they don't even check!

Edited by cb at sea

No photo ID required for the kids, they just need their ship card. Adults need photo ID ;). Our boys travel with passports, the only times they are shown are for embarkation and customs at debarkation, otherwise they stay in the safe.

Edited by B&Z's Mom
iPad thinks it can spell better than I can!