Red Stripe Beach-Jamaica

My daughter's family (3 kids) went there during our Thanksgiving week cruise on Oasis. This is what she said:

"I would just say it's mediocre - the price of getting there is expensive for what it is. just a small beach with a little food area. there are bathrooms and changing rooms but they aren't that great. i would say it's just okay. don't remember the price of food/drinks. the thing i didn't like was the last bus left for the ship at 3:30 even tho departure wasn't until 7pm! lots of seaweed on the beach but not in the sectioned of swimming area. you can walk down farther on the beach but it's not fit for swimming there (too much seaweed)."

Also, it is expensive, $28 for adults for a 10 minute bus ride to the small beach. If the last bus back is 3:30, you'd have to go early if you wanted to spend a lot of time at the beach. However, since this is the only close-by beach excursion offered in Falmouth (Chukka Beach Break is not longer available), it may be worth it if you really want a beach day.

My daughter's family (3 kids) went there during our Thanksgiving week cruise on Oasis. This is what she said:

"I would just say it's mediocre - the price of getting there is expensive for what it is. just a small beach with a little food area. there are bathrooms and changing rooms but they aren't that great. i would say it's just okay. don't remember the price of food/drinks. the thing i didn't like was the last bus left for the ship at 3:30 even tho departure wasn't until 7pm! lots of seaweed on the beach but not in the sectioned of swimming area. you can walk down farther on the beach but it's not fit for swimming there (too much seaweed)."

Also, it is expensive, $28 for adults for a 10 minute bus ride to the small beach. If the last bus back is 3:30, you'd have to go early if you wanted to spend a lot of time at the beach. However, since this is the only close-by beach excursion offered in Falmouth (Chukka Beach Break is not longer available), it may be worth it if you really want a beach day.

]

Thanks.

This is really difficult to figure out what to do with both kids and adults of all ages at this port.

I'm pretty sure the only way to go to Red Stripe is by the excursion bus. i believe it is owned by Royal Caribbean.

I remember seeing a post with a map and information about other public beaches in the Falmouth area but don't remember exactly where. Perhaps someone else can find the link. I assume you could go outside the gated port area and get a cab to one of those beaches.

But you may want to scan thru the Jamaica port forum to find out if anybody has done that or has any advice or precautions. There is also a beach called "Time and Place" that is kind of rustic and gets mixed reviews, but I think they have a pick up service from right outside the port gates.

We did Red Strip on our June Oasis sailing. Here are my thoughts:

We enjoyed it. We enjoy relaxed beach days and this fit the bill. Yes it is expensive for what it is, but most of the excursions in Jamaica are, mainly because of the transportation/safety factor (I personally would not venture outside of the port gates in Falmouth; a RCI excursion is a must for me at this port). The place is clean and the staff are fun and friendly and eager to please. We personally had no issues with the beach. We didn't have the seaweed problem another poster mentioned and the beach was clear of rocks in the designated swimming area. There are a few amenities (chairs and mats available, bathrooms, a place to get food & drinks, etc.), and for the most part, the beach wasn't very crowded and we were on a full sailing of Oasis. I didn't get food, but the drink prices were not bad.

I would have enjoyed having a bit more time, but I also liked that we had time to shop in the port area after we got back. Overall, it was a good excursion for us; as with everything, it depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for something specifically geared towards kids, this isn't it, but I would still say it is very family friendly.

Best of luck!

Edited by iCruise717

We did Red Strip on our June Oasis sailing. Here are my thoughts:

We enjoyed it. We enjoy relaxed beach days and this fit the bill. Yes it is expensive for what it is, but most of the excursions in Jamaica are, mainly because of the transportation/safety factor (I personally would not venture outside of the port gates in Falmouth; a RCI excursion is a must for me at this port). The place is clean and the staff are fun and friendly and eager to please. We personally had no issues with the beach. We didn't have the seaweed problem another poster mentioned and the beach was clear of rocks in the designated swimming area. There are a few amenities (chairs and mats available, bathrooms, a place to get food & drinks, etc.), and for the most part, the beach wasn't very crowded and we were on a full sailing of Oasis. I didn't get food, but the drink prices were not bad.

I would have enjoyed having a bit more time, but I also liked that we had time to shop in the port area after we got back. Overall, it was a good excursion for us; as with everything, it depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for something specifically geared towards kids, this isn't it, but I would still say it is very family friendly.

Best of luck!

Thanks.

The kids just enjoy being on the beach so that is all I am really looking for. They are older 7/10/10/16 (and maybe a few others in the same 10/11 age range).

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I am taking the risk of re visiting an old post but I am looking for some help on choosing something for our call to Jamaica

we do not want to climb the falls and I thought a beach break would be good and ideas on red stripe beach ?

We visited Red stripe beach way back in 2013, so I don't have any up to date information. At the time it was fine for a beach day in Jamaica without venturing far. I suggest you ask on the Jamaica port of call forum, there may be up to date information there.