Does RCL offer free cat. upgrades if available?

manmtnmike

Hi,

Just curious, Some Q's:

How does it work if the ship is not sailing full?

Does the ship have upgrades available at customer service desk?

or Is it offered by highest level achieved via e-mail or phone call?

Let's say I call in to inquire if upgrades are avalable...does that ever happen? Is it worth while to ask at imbarkation?

Thanks!

Mike

I'm not a big animal person. I definitely don't want them to give me a cat to deal with on my cruise!

All kidding aside, your initial "if" is a really big one. The ships almost always sail full. They will offer cut rate deals sometimes for last minute bookings, and they also offer a lot of nice deals to industry people (their own employees, travel agents, etc...) So by the time embarkation arrives, there is rarely anything left.

There is a very very small possibility of a paid upgrade after check-in. Seek out the Pier Coordinator and see if they have any upgrades available.

Years ago this upgrade path was more common, but these days the revenue department will upgrade people from lower cetegory staterooms to higher ones so they can sell the less expensive lower category staterooms. If revenue does their job well, there are no staterooms for the Pier Coordinator or Loyalty.

Edited by clarea

Realistically unless you are Diamond or above your chances of a complimentary upgrade are very slim. About the only way to get a category upgrade is to hope that the price of a cabin in a category above yours drops in price to what you paid for yours then you can call RCI or your TA and get bumped up to a higher category with little or no charge.

Well, finally if all goes well, tomorrow we will be able to upgrade to an OS or RFS as the prices this weekend have gone below what we paid for the GS on our first sailing of our B2B in a few weeks. I have a hold on both but it will time out this afternoon. The plan is to grab them again (if the price is still the same or close) as soon as my hold ends and call my TA in the morning to upgrade to one of them.

Just the other day, I tried to pay to upgrade to the RFS and RC wanted $1200 for the upgrade. So happy I didn't do it. Now if I am lucky and the stars are still aligned, we won't have to pay a penny! Crossing my fingers!

Edited by Colorado Babe

Hi,

Just curious, Some Q's:

How does it work if the ship is not sailing full?

Does the ship have upgrades available at customer service desk?

or Is it offered by highest level achieved via e-mail or phone call?

Let's say I call in to inquire if upgrades are avalable...does that ever happen? Is it worth while to ask at imbarkation?

Thanks!

Mike

Suggest you read this link to RCCL's website that explains how upgrades are handled.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Crown+%26+Anchor+Society&faqId=5385&faqSubjectId=340&faqType=faq