Oct 13, 2014 Mariner TA and hurricane season

alainciao

Hi All,

We're looking at this Mariner cruise and thinking about rough water. Clearly, there are many cruises scheduled both in the Carribean during this time frame and TAs. I have also researched the last 3 years of storms. They do crop up during this period but not like August and September. Most storms start pretty much right out of Senegal where we will be in late Oct. and then head west to develop, or not. Any words of wisdom from experienced TA cruisers? I've checked the roll call and there is a little, but not much, discussion about this. Thanks in advance.

Stan

Hi All,

We're looking at this Mariner cruise and thinking about rough water. Clearly, there are many cruises scheduled both in the Carribean during this time frame and TAs. I have also researched the last 3 years of storms. They do crop up during this period but not like August and September. Most storms start pretty much right out of Senegal where we will be in late Oct. and then head west to develop, or not. Any words of wisdom from experienced TA cruisers? I've checked the roll call and there is a little, but not much, discussion about this. Thanks in advance.

Stan

If you spend your time worrying about this and researching past history, you are going to drive yourself crazy. Hurricanes happen, the season is officially June 1 thru November 30 or half of the year. Past history is absolutely no indication of the future weather wise. We live on the Gulf Coast and we know hurricanes occur but, we don't obsess about them.

With all of the technology out there, we see hurricanes starting from the middle of the Sahara and your Captain has all of this technology to avoid these storms. That being said, the Captain cannot avoid pop up thunderstorms and if you cruise you have to realize that they will occur. That would to me be more of an issue than the hurricanes which the Captain will have many days advance warning and be able to avoid them. You will be on the ocean and rough water is a matter of course and may occur when the Captain will not be able to avoid it.

Many years ago we were on the Original Pacific Princess crossing the Gulf of Alaska and we had 40 foot seas for about 24 hours and lots of people were sick but, DW and I enjoyed the adventure and we were all fine so don't worry yourself to death and have a good time.