1st Time on NCL/Dawn 12/1/13

Bobcoaster

My cruise experiences have been with Royal Caribbean (Adventure of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, and Mariner of the Seas) - 2 of those were transatlantics, and Celebrity (Mercury). This was my first time on NCL. We booked with friends who used to rate NCL as their favorite cruise line. They told us that they thought our taste would result in our saying that we liked NCL, but preferred RCL.

Yes, there were embarkation issues. Fortunately, we were on the ship fairly early, so we were not impacted by those issues. We got our lunch in the Garden Cafe buffet.

In all, I liked the Dawn very much. Granted, it's not an RCL Voyager class ship, which has multiple entertainment venues with the promenade (parades and parties), the ice rink (ice shows and Quest, etc.) and the main theater. But it was still a classy ship and we had a great time. This was my first time in a true inside room. Previously, we'd had an oceanview or a promenade view room. So this was our first time without a window. Would we feel closed in? Find it too dark? Actually, it was just fine. I'd prefer to try a balcony, but $$$ tells us to look for the least expensive option. Now we know an inside room works for us. We don't spend much time in the room anyway.

To compare apples to apples, we ate only in the buffet and the MDR. We don't do the upcharge restaurants on RCL.

Fact is, I think - for my taste - RCL's MDR food was a bit better. Or more adventurous or imaginative or better presentation. Or just more memorable tastewise. But the Dawn food was certainly good. And it featured what I always wish RCL offered - food with a regional specialty. In fact, most evenings, I chose the regional special. We alternated breakfast between the buffet and MDR. Both were fine for me. We ate lunch in the MDR on the 2 sea days, otherwise ate in the buffet. Again, I appreciated the buffet's focus on regional dishes. Here I have to say that I found the buffet food better on the Dawn. And definitely the buffet desserts were superior in our opinion! The Chocoholic Buffet didn't do much for us, but the regular desserts kept us tying numerous items. Somehow, we gained no weight (but the 4 mile-per-day walking probably helped).

I don't worry about 24 hour food. I need my sleep. But I noted more options for food late into the night than RCL seems to offer. But after a 5-course dinner, I don't need to or can't eat any more.

The freestyle aspect didn't do much for us. I prefer the assigned seating/assigned waitstaff. That's my taste. However, we asked if we could keep the same wonderful waitress we had, and that was granted immediately with a reservation each evening (except one night when we ate in Aqua).

That brings me to the crew. Just great! I feared that somehow the crew would be inferior to the friendliness and competence that I've found on RCL. I'd compare them evenly.

I'd happily do NCL again. From this point forward, I'll watch itineraries and prices as to which cruise line to select. Loyalty is great, but I don't drink alcohol or soda, and a lot of the loyalty perks on any line seem to be about alcohol or soft drink packages.

Our room steward was fantastic. The room itself, on deck 8 above the anchor room, was "interesting" when we dropped anchor in Belieze. The room started vibrating and shaking and we wondered what was happening! Then we realized it was the anchor and all was fine. Actually, one of the aspects I find so amazing about cruising is the precision with which the whole process operates. I love the open waters and never knew I would. I particularly love sea days. I rarely participate in any shore excursions, preferring to save money for another cruise.

Entertainment? NCL certainly offers that, but I wasn't exactly wowed on the Dawn. My taste? Maybe. Second City was great! But I didn't think another comedian was necessary. I'd have preferred (as a musician) a musician as a headliner for another evening. The aerialist act was fine. I didn't care for the singing style of the Dawn singers that week. Again, my taste, and I'm not denying their talent. Just not my style. I like production shows best of all, but the ones on the Dawn just didn't do it for me. I'm not a late night person, so anything after the main theater show did not find me present.

In all, though, a fabulous trip. I can't wait for the next one. By the way, that next one is Legend of the Seas in April 2014 transatlantic.

There were definitely waits getting off the ship on the final day. Customs seemed to be slow. We stood in line quite a while, having opted to carry our own luggage off. We finished our stay in Florida with a partial day at Sea World and 3 days at Disney World. Our daughter works there so we also were able to spend time with her before our drive back home to the real world - COLD. I wish I were back in warm weather right now!

The Dawn was the first ship I ever cruised on, too, and my second. I loved the size that it wasn't too big (like the Epic), and yet not as cramped as the Sky. I always hope she is running an itinerary I want to go on, but sadly that hasn't been the case.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your cruise, and the Dawn is certainly a good ambassador of the fleet.

My cruise experiences have been with Royal Caribbean (Adventure of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, and Mariner of the Seas) - 2 of those were transatlantics, and Celebrity (Mercury). This was my first time on NCL. We booked with friends who used to rate NCL as their favorite cruise line. They told us that they thought our taste would result in our saying that we liked NCL, but preferred RCL.

Yes, there were embarkation issues. Fortunately, we were on the ship fairly early, so we were not impacted by those issues. We got our lunch in the Garden Cafe buffet.

In all, I liked the Dawn very much. Granted, it's not an RCL Voyager class ship, which has multiple entertainment venues with the promenade (parades and parties), the ice rink (ice shows and Quest, etc.) and the main theater. But it was still a classy ship and we had a great time. This was my first time in a true inside room. Previously, we'd had an oceanview or a promenade view room. So this was our first time without a window. Would we feel closed in? Find it too dark? Actually, it was just fine. I'd prefer to try a balcony, but $$$ tells us to look for the least expensive option. Now we know an inside room works for us. We don't spend much time in the room anyway.

To compare apples to apples, we ate only in the buffet and the MDR. We don't do the upcharge restaurants on RCL.

Fact is, I think - for my taste - RCL's MDR food was a bit better. Or more adventurous or imaginative or better presentation. Or just more memorable tastewise. But the Dawn food was certainly good. And it featured what I always wish RCL offered - food with a regional specialty. In fact, most evenings, I chose the regional special. We alternated breakfast between the buffet and MDR. Both were fine for me. We ate lunch in the MDR on the 2 sea days, otherwise ate in the buffet. Again, I appreciated the buffet's focus on regional dishes. Here I have to say that I found the buffet food better on the Dawn. And definitely the buffet desserts were superior in our opinion! The Chocoholic Buffet didn't do much for us, but the regular desserts kept us tying numerous items. Somehow, we gained no weight (but the 4 mile-per-day walking probably helped).

I don't worry about 24 hour food. I need my sleep. But I noted more options for food late into the night than RCL seems to offer. But after a 5-course dinner, I don't need to or can't eat any more.

The freestyle aspect didn't do much for us. I prefer the assigned seating/assigned waitstaff. That's my taste. However, we asked if we could keep the same wonderful waitress we had, and that was granted immediately with a reservation each evening (except one night when we ate in Aqua).

That brings me to the crew. Just great! I feared that somehow the crew would be inferior to the friendliness and competence that I've found on RCL. I'd compare them evenly.

I'd happily do NCL again. From this point forward, I'll watch itineraries and prices as to which cruise line to select. Loyalty is great, but I don't drink alcohol or soda, and a lot of the loyalty perks on any line seem to be about alcohol or soft drink packages.

Our room steward was fantastic. The room itself, on deck 8 above the anchor room, was "interesting" when we dropped anchor in Belieze. The room started vibrating and shaking and we wondered what was happening! Then we realized it was the anchor and all was fine. Actually, one of the aspects I find so amazing about cruising is the precision with which the whole process operates. I love the open waters and never knew I would. I particularly love sea days. I rarely participate in any shore excursions, preferring to save money for another cruise.

Entertainment? NCL certainly offers that, but I wasn't exactly wowed on the Dawn. My taste? Maybe. Second City was great! But I didn't think another comedian was necessary. I'd have preferred (as a musician) a musician as a headliner for another evening. The aerialist act was fine. I didn't care for the singing style of the Dawn singers that week. Again, my taste, and I'm not denying their talent. Just not my style. I like production shows best of all, but the ones on the Dawn just didn't do it for me. I'm not a late night person, so anything after the main theater show did not find me present.

In all, though, a fabulous trip. I can't wait for the next one. By the way, that next one is Legend of the Seas in April 2014 transatlantic.

There were definitely waits getting off the ship on the final day. Customs seemed to be slow. We stood in line quite a while, having opted to carry our own luggage off. We finished our stay in Florida with a partial day at Sea World and 3 days at Disney World. Our daughter works there so we also were able to spend time with her before our drive back home to the real world - COLD. I wish I were back in warm weather right now!

We have cruised both RCI and NCL six or seven times, and this is the most balanced and accurate comparison I have read to date. Thank you, could not have written any better. We would sail both lines again in a heartbeat, and our next scheduled cruise is on the NCL Star.

Sam Fedele.

He was good. I just thought it the overall entertainment package was comedy top-heavy.

Thanks so much. I'm not an overly big comedy fan. So this way I can google to see if it's something I might be interested in.

We're going January 25. Looking forward to Second City.

Question...did anyone do the beverage package? We're considering it, 'cuz we SURE hate that bar tab slid under our door the last morning!!

Good thing I was concerned about making our flight, and decided to stay until Monday. But luckily we have friends in Port Charlotte we can stay with. We'll just rent a car in Tampa for the day, drive down, and back the next noon for our 2:00 flight back to snowy Wisconsin.

Edited by mrs.cool