Beverage Card

Cruise Fanatic

I notice that Princess offers a Soda Card and a Coffee Card. I am surprised that they don't offer a Beverage Card like they offer on HAL. On our last two cruises on HAL, we took advantage of the Beverage Card. It cost us 90.00 but you were able to buy 100 dollars. They also offered one for $50.00 you paid $40.00 or $45.00 but the card was good for $50.00

I found it so much nicer in that I didn't have to keep track of all of those drink receipts. You order your beverage ...give them your beverage card and they return it along with your receipt showing amount used and amount left on the card. Maybe one day they will wise up and offer a beverage card.

Edited by Cruise Fanatic

I notice that Princess offers a Soda Card and a Coffee Card. I am surprised that they don't offer a Beverage Card like they offer on HAL. On our last two cruises on HAL, we took advantage of the Beverage Card. It cost us 90.00 but you were able to buy 100 dollars. They also offered one for $50.00 you paid $40.00 or $45.00 but the card was good for $50.00

I found it so much nicer in that I didn't have to keep track of all of those drink receipts. You order your beverage ...give them your beverage card and they return it along with your receipt showing amount used and amount left on the card. Maybe one day they will wise up and offer a beverage card.

The coffee card costs $31 on the Princess web site. It is good for free brewed coffee the entire cruise for the purchaser and has 15 punches for specialty coffees (non-alcoholic).

A soda card (actually a sticker) costs $5.18/day/person or $36.26 for the week.

So for $67.26 you can have these two cards, do not have to keep track of any receipts, and do not have to worry about how much is remaining on the cards.

Of course, neither of these includes alcoholic beverages.

The beverage package that includes alcoholic beverages being tested on two ships is priced at $56.35/day/person and if purchased must be purchased by all adults in a cabin. For two people for a week, the total would be $788.90.

Edited by caribill

Unlike HAL's Beverage card, which basically works like a prepaid gift card, you have NO receipts to deal (including one with a remaining balance) with on the soda package, ultimate mocktails package and the beverage package (with alcohol) that is being tested. This allows you to show your card which has a sticker on it. You then get a drink. No receipt is issued. And the coffee card is a punch card-you hand it over and try punch it (and not other paper).

Please help us understand why a gift-card type separate card is better. Also HAL does not provide the discounts on card purchase anymore-that was eliminated last year. The $100 card to purchase alcohol now costs $100.

Please help us understand why a gift-card type separate card is better. The $100 card to purchase alcohol now costs $100.

Thew difference is that the $100 card may be all a person (or a couple needs). If they need more, they just buy another $100 card.

However, for the Princess package which must be purchased for all adults in a cabin, the cost is $788.90 for a one week cruise for two people. For some that will be a bargain. For others the $100 at a time card would be best.

Thew difference is that the $100 card may be all a person (or a couple needs). If they need more, they just buy another $100 card.

However, for the Princess package which must be purchased for all adults in a cabin, the cost is $788.90 for a one week cruise for two people. For some that will be a bargain. For others the $100 at a time card would be best.

Perhaps the OP will give their reasoning, since they asked initially. They seemed to not like paper receipts from how I read it.

OP cited the prior HAL card program where they gave a $100 value for $90. Last year it was $95 for $100 value when I sailed on HAL but that offer is no longer in place ($100 gets you $100 now!)

Also, HAL has already been offering a Beverage program for a similar price per day to what Princess is testing but with a 15 drink limit (including soda) and a $7 cutoff (Princess has $10 cutoff and doesn't place limits).

The beverage package that includes alcoholic beverages being tested on two ships is priced at $56.35/day/person and if purchased must be purchased by all adults in a cabin. For two people for a week, the total would be $788.90.

Help! On which two ships is this being tested?

Do you know the details of how it works?

LuLu

~~~~

I was surprised when we purchased the coffee card, didn't know you also get FREE cups of good quality tea. A lot of types to choose from. They do not punch the card for tea, ONLY coffee. Also , crap coffee is available for free . The Mock tail card was well worth it as it also enabled our son to get thick shakes . Both these cards are well worth the money.

Alcohol on the ship is expensive, but they do need to make money.

Perhaps the OP will give their reasoning, since they asked initially. They seemed to not like paper receipts from how I read it.

OP cited the prior HAL card program where they gave a $100 value for $90. Last year it was $95 for $100 value when I sailed on HAL but that offer is no longer in place ($100 gets you $100 now!)

Also, HAL has already been offering a Beverage program for a similar price per day to what Princess is testing but with a 15 drink limit (including soda) and a $7 cutoff (Princess has $10 cutoff and doesn't place limits).

Thanks for the response to my question. Yes I do have a thing about all of those paper receipts checking them against my statement...lol. On my last HAL cruise I just found it so much easier to use the beverage card on my statement it said beverage card for what ever amount.

Now as to the Beverage Package that Princess is offering. 58.00 pp per day (and both passengers in cabin have to buy) is a lot of money. I can't imagine that the average person would drink that much in coffee/soda/mixed drinks in a day...but then I could be wrong.

taking into consideration that if you had the package for the week 700+ dollars...WOW that is a lot of money. My partner and I will be taking a cruise to Hawaii in the fall of 2014.

If we bought that package that would be over $1400!!.

I still feel that a separate beverage card would be a better deal..but then again that imo.

again thanks for all of the input to my question.

NO ! if you buy the "alcoholic beverage card", you certainly wouldn't have the need to purchase the coffee card or the mock tail/ thick shakes card. Its either, your going to get drunk, OR going to relax. Id usually get drunk at least once on the cruise, but was having such a good time watching drunk couples fighting , didn't need to.. ;)