Re-positioning cruises

dnmccoy

It depends on what kind of repositioning you are looking for. There are the Transatlantic ones that go Eastbound in April/May or Westbound in October/November. Carnival won't be in Europe next year, but other cruise lines will. There are a lot of repositioning cruises that go whenever one season ends and another begins, like when ships leave the Caribbean to go to Europe, or leave the Mexican Riviera to go to Alaska.

There are also some that are just moving from one port to another, like when the Conquest moved from New Orleans to Miami recently. In April, the Dream is going from Port Canaveral to New Orleans and the Sunshine is going the other way. To find these ones, you just have to find out when a ship is leaving a particular port.

I saw the ones going to new ports on our last cruise a few weeks back. Do they move them around ports regularly throughout the year or was this just a one time thing?

It really depends. It seems like they've been doing it a lot lately. Usually if a ship has been at a home port for a while, they want to give cruisers a different ship so they don't get bored. So if a ship has been somewhere for a few years, they might change it out.

No, they don't really move them around frequently.

Carnival tends to not do "regular" repositioning cruises very often. That's why I jumped on the Conquest San Juan-Miami as soon as I saw it. When I got home last month, I was set to book Pride San Juan-Tampa but Carnival decided to simply move the ship rather than have the two 8-night cruises. I was very annoyed.

And then I "discovered" the Splendor repo on 11/1/14, again from San Juan to Miami. It includes THREE new ports for me and also calls at one of my favorite ports, Dominica (which is the main reason I booked the Conquest repo). For some unknown reason, Carnival stopped calling there (which was a huge mistake, imho).

I don't know why they do this (move ships empty to a new port). Repositioning cruises are a great opportunity to get to go on a fairly unique itinerary.

I know that some online agencies shown repositioning cruises as their own category. Can't name names, so you'll just have to search. But don't expect to find a lot of them on Carnival.

And then I "discovered" the Splendor repo on 11/1/14, again from San Juan to Miami. It includes THREE new ports for me and also calls at one of my favorite ports, Dominica

OMG!!! Thank you so very much for this information. I went to have a look and the ports are fantastic. So I went ahead and booked a PT for this sailing. YAY@!

And then I "discovered" the Splendor repo on 11/1/14, again from San Juan to Miami. It includes THREE new ports for me and also calls at one of my favorite ports, Dominica (which is the main reason I booked the Conquest repo). For some unknown reason, Carnival stopped calling there (which was a huge mistake, imho).

WOW! Thx a lot. I went and look at the itinerary you mention, and fell totally in love with it. Gonna try and see if someone can do this with me. If not, will have to be solo.

With the exception of GT, I haven't been to any of those islands.

Kfoot - I'm booked solo for Splendor (as I was on Conquest). Even at 200%, it's still a good price. We already have several people who were on the Conquest cruise who have booked Splendor. It was like sailing with a bunch of friends but having my own cabin. :D

lmtrn2001 - I would've booked that, too, except I'm a CPA and as much as I'd love (and need) to get away then, it's just not possible. Sounds like a really great one, though!

I personally, LOVE the repositioning cruises. I love sea days, and the ship is usually the "Destination" for me, so being able to sail at a VERY good rate, and doing the majority of the cruise as sea days are the best of both worlds for me.

See you aboard!

"SKY"

How do you find them? I learned about them on our last cruise, and I think we'd definitely like to look into one.

We have done 3 Transatlantic repositioning cruises (Princess & Celebrity) and all I can say is that they are the best. We love the sea days and the ports along the way. They took us places we never imagined we would visit.

Generally the cruise lines advertise them but we use a particular TA company and their website lists them months in advance. I see now that they have Voyages for next April/May and Oct./Nov. listed along with pricing. Many times we can get 12 - 14 days voyages in a balcony for less than $100/day.

They have other type of repositioning cruises listed as well - like LA to Sydney, or port to port in the USA.

We're doing the Repositioning Cruise for Carnival Sunshine leaving from New Orleans 4/6/14...11 days....with ports-Montego Bay, Jamaica, Curacao, Aruba & St. Thomas & ending in Port Canaveral. Join us!!

We saw that while onboard the conquest, I would LOOOOOOOVE to join you but its just not possible in April :mad:

No, they don't really move them around frequently.

Carnival tends to not do "regular" repositioning cruises very often. That's why I jumped on the Conquest San Juan-Miami as soon as I saw it. When I got home last month, I was set to book Pride San Juan-Tampa but Carnival decided to simply move the ship rather than have the two 8-night cruises. I was very annoyed.

I don't know why they do this (move ships empty to a new port). Repositioning cruises are a great opportunity to get to go on a fairly unique itinerary.

I know that some online agencies shown repositioning cruises as their own category. Can't name names, so you'll just have to search. But don't expect to find a lot of them on Carnival.

After reading this post I look at the Splendor itinerary and I have an email into my PVP. Me & another couple are booking. This fits perfect into my timeframe since I wanted to cruise beginning of November for my birthday (which will be celebrated on the ship :D). I'm very excited about this. Thanks for all the great info.