Little French Key vs Maya Key

hsmcruise

Have you seen the reviews lately of Maya Key? Beach area doesn't sound great but, living close to the Gulf Coast, I know how the tides and time of year can change water. Sometimes it is beautiful, sometimes not.

Oh darn, what to do??

Mitsugirly, what are your thoughts on this? How was the beach the last time you visited MK?

Mitsugirly, what are your thoughts on this? How was the beach the last time you visited MK?

It's not a "beachy" area that you see in the pictures on post cards. (Meaning there's not a long stretch of beach with the beautiful white sand and then the water).

Most of the beach area is covered in shade by the beautiful palms and trees where the beach area is. There's maybe 2 rows of chairs before hitting the water.

PC190509-L.jpg

PC190508-L.jpg

PC190510-L.jpg

PC190512-L.jpg

There's not much of a swimming area where we were at. They have a rope in the area that you don't go past and it's not far out as you can tell in this picture

PC190615-L.jpg

But the water was crystal clear the day we were there and no sea grass in this area.

If you look at the second picture, you can kinda tell that it's sort of in a cove area and the water was extremely still and calm.

This area is the area to the right of the snorkling area. It wasn't the perfect beach, but it was a nice area to hang out with friends and cool off when needed.

In the description on the excursion it shows lunch included but doesn't mention that in the description. Lunch is really not a deal breaker for us but there is only 2 of us. Seems we could spend a longer day at Maya Key and come back when we want.. I still can't decide.. :o

Interesting, this just popped up in my excursions list and we set sail in a week. I already put in a reservation with LFK directly, so not sure if there is any real reason I should cancel that or not. I mean, it's my first cruise and I was worried about the time with this excursion and if I changed to the Carnival one I would be guaranteed to get back on the ship.......... then again I guess I'll just keep it and when I see everyone else leaving we will just head back too :)

Interesting, this just popped up in my excursions list and we set sail in a week. I already put in a reservation with LFK directly, so not sure if there is any real reason I should cancel that or not. I mean, it's my first cruise and I was worried about the time with this excursion and if I changed to the Carnival one I would be guaranteed to get back on the ship.......... then again I guess I'll just keep it and when I see everyone else leaving we will just head back too :)

I just wanted to say....

People, don't over think this. If you can do the excursion on your own (and save money along the way), then do it. The people at LFK know when the ships are coming and going. They thrive on the business they get. They want to make you day an enjoyable one. They will get you back in time. You can see LFK from Frenchy 44's restaurant, which is where you take the boat over to the island. It's a shot trip. Then only a 15 minute taxi ride (provided by them) to the port. They have the boat (owned by LFK) going over to the main island all day long. You can catch any of them when you are ready to leave. The same with taxi's. Once you get back to Frenchys 44, they have a taxi (or will get one quickly) ready to take you back.

There's absolutely no reason to book with the cruise line and pay more. It's just like any other port, watch your time and estimate when you need to return, get on the boat and go back.

The ONLY reason to book Maya Key with the cruiseline is....it's the ONLY way to book it. Plain and simple. They don't allow you to book private.

You can't go wrong with either place. Go and have a WONDERFUL day. :)

Thanks mitsugurly!

I'm going to keep it with LFK directly, plus the option I got sounds better too and you are correct, they have been so fast and nice with email replies it is amazing. The instructions were perfect.

The only little worry I had was because we are one of the 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. times in port and it's my first cruise. I was trying to keep everything with Carnival on my first cruise, but after reading your reviews of LFK I went and booked it.

Thanks again and I'll just keep it with them directly :)

It's not a "beachy" area that you see in the pictures on post cards. (Meaning there's not a long stretch of beach with the beautiful white sand and then the water).

Most of the beach area is covered in shade by the beautiful palms and trees where the beach area is. There's maybe 2 rows of chairs before hitting the water.

Thanks Mitsugirly - this suits us perfectly. My beach concern is usually that there might *not* be enough shade. :D

Thanks again for all the time you take to reply to questions here... you're a wonderful resource. :)

Thanks mitsugurly!

I'm going to keep it with LFK directly, plus the option I got sounds better too and you are correct, they have been so fast and nice with email replies it is amazing. The instructions were perfect.

The only little worry I had was because we are one of the 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. times in port and it's my first cruise. I was trying to keep everything with Carnival on my first cruise, but after reading your reviews of LFK I went and booked it.

Thanks again and I'll just keep it with them directly :)

Just estimate the time for the boat ride + taxi time + walking in the port to get back on to the ship by the boarding time and then give a little extra for "just in case". (Just know that when they drop you off, they do drop you off right there at the port as opposed to outside the gates and over the hill...so it's much quicker and less walking). Remember the time, watch your watch, gather your things around the time you estimated to get back on the boat to Frenchys and you'll be fine. :) Have a wonderful day and make sure to come back and report your thoughts for others.

Thanks Mitsugirly - this suits us perfectly. My beach concern is usually that there might *not* be enough shade. :D

Thanks again for all the time you take to reply to questions here... you're a wonderful resource. :)

There's definitely plenty of shade for sure...everywhere. The island is lush with greenery and trees everywhere. No lack of shade for sure.

You are VERY welcome for the help. I enjoy helping others. People on here have been so helpful to me when researching, I like to give back any time I can. :)

PC190509-L.jpg

PC190508-L.jpg

PC190510-L.jpg

PC190512-L.jpg

There's not much of a swimming area where we were at. They have a rope in the area that you don't go past and it's not far out as you can tell in this picture

PC190615-L.jpg

But the water was crystal clear the day we were there and no sea grass in this area.

If you look at the second picture, you can kinda tell that it's sort of in a cove area and the water was extremely still and calm.

This area is the area to the right of the snorkling area. It wasn't the perfect beach, but it was a nice area to hang out with friends and cool off when needed.

In the last photo, is the pier to the left the one that you go off to snorkel?

We think we have decided to do MK since the snorkeling seems to be good.

Thanks for all you help!!!!

In the description on the excursion it shows lunch included but doesn't mention that in the description. Lunch is really not a deal breaker for us but there is only 2 of us. Seems we could spend a longer day at Maya Key and come back when we want.. I still can't decide.. :o

I did go back and look and it did say meal included up at the top, but under the "details" it made it sound like you would purchase food and drink??? It is a little confusing!

I did go back and look and it did say meal included up at the top, but under the "details" it made it sound like you would purchase food and drink??? It is a little confusing!

I reserved the LFK excursion for $88 on 1 29 14 and inquired about the difference between it and Carnivals. They responded that Carnivals would be two hours on the island with a fruit punch. I think i'll take the whole day plus lunch and two drinks for the $88.

I reserved the LFK excursion for $88 on 1 29 14 and inquired about the difference between it and Carnivals. They responded that Carnivals would be two hours on the island with a fruit punch. I think i'll take the whole day plus lunch and two drinks for the $88.

I think we will try this on our own also. We are in port from 8-6 so would not like leaving in 2 hours and lunch sounds fabulous. I am a little worried about meeting up with the van but I have read enough reviews I think we can do it. Everyone depends on me getting us where we should be. I also read they have a taxi for $2 to take you over the hill. That will probably be a option for us.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I think we will try this on our own also. We are in port from 8-6 so would not like leaving in 2 hours and lunch sounds fabulous. I am a little worried about meeting up with the van but I have read enough reviews I think we can do it. Everyone depends on me getting us where we should be. I also read they have a taxi for $2 to take you over the hill. That will probably be a option for us.

Thanks everyone for your input.

We have done LFK twice from Magic. The walk out of the port & over the hill is not that daunting unless you have some mobility issues. We have always met Dave for the van - lime green shirt & sign, can't miss him!

Thanks Mitzugirly for the additional pier photos. We went ahead and booked since snorkeling is our goal. We don't like the idea of crawling in and out of a kayak at LFK. Your reviews are what helped us decide.

Now we're just trying to iron out the scheduling. We don't want to come back as early as excursion indicates. But we're one of 3 ships in port that day, so we want to be sure to make the right ship.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Mitzugirly for the additional pier photos. We went ahead and booked since snorkeling is our goal. We don't like the idea of crawling in and out of a kayak at LFK. Your reviews are what helped us decide.

Now we're just trying to iron out the scheduling. We don't want to come back as early as excursion indicates. But we're one of 3 ships in port that day, so we want to be sure to make the right ship.

Was just in Maya Key on 01-17-14 and even though it was a little windy and a bit chilly, got in the water and snorkeled. I haven't done much snorkeling but it was as memorable as swimming with the turtles in ST. Thomas the previous week. We really enjoyed the animals and staff at MK also - our first hour was spent watching the sea lions being fed and finding all of the various animals on the island. My Wife and I will be going back again and hoping for a little better weather...

We have done LFK twice from Magic. The walk out of the port & over the hill is not that daunting unless you have some mobility issues. We have always met Dave for the van - lime green shirt & sign, can't miss him!

please tell me who "Dave" is, and how to contact him-

thanks

• 1 month later...
Your pics are amazing! We just booked this for our cruise in November. What settings did you use to get the colors so bright?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I am constantly changing settings when taking pictures. There are various settings that I switch back and forth. Since I do it so often while taking pictures, I never really know if the pictures I pick to use are done with which setting. :o I've used the beauty, landscape, sport, sunset, beach, indoor and sometimes miniature for the tilt shift photos. Those are the ones that I use most often, although I have tried others.

I will be sailing with Royal Carribean on my next cruise for the western Caribbean itinerary. I have never been to Roatan or Belize City, and would love a bit of info on ports and excursions. I am planing on doing Maya Key in Roatan. We will be docked at Coxen Hole. When you get off the ship, do you have to walk to the area where they pick you up for the water taxi over to Maya Key, or does someone take you over to that area? I know it is not far at all, but I have MS and do have a few mobility issues. Just trying to get an idea of how much walking is involved between getting off the ship and getting on the boat over to Maya Key. Also any suggestions for things to do in Belize for the mobility challenged. I can and do walk, but hate to use up all my energy before the excursion even begins.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will be sailing with Royal Carribean on my next cruise for the western Caribbean itinerary. I have never been to Roatan or Belize City, and would love a bit of info on ports and excursions. I am planing on doing Maya Key in Roatan. We will be docked at Coxen Hole. When you get off the ship, do you have to walk to the area where they pick you up for the water taxi over to Maya Key, or does someone take you over to that area? I know it is not far at all, but I have MS and do have a few mobility issues. Just trying to get an idea of how much walking is involved between getting off the ship and getting on the boat over to Maya Key. Also any suggestions for things to do in Belize for the mobility challenged. I can and do walk, but hate to use up all my energy before the excursion even begins.

There's really no walking required (well, like you said, to get there). The ship docks right up against the pier. You get off of the ship and everyone going over there meets right there. Then you get on the boat that is right there and you head right over to Maya Key. :) Picture the ship docked on one side, the little boat docked across from it. Now you will have to walk once you get to Maya Key to go where you want to. Where they dock the boat there is just the entrance and you must walk to the pool or beach area.

Mitsugirly,

Thank you so much for the information. Most of the time can I walk really well and am still very mobile. I just try not to use up all of my energy and do a lot of walking before an excursion even begins. I had this happen in Cozumel last cruise. It was quite a long walk getting off the pier and to the location where we were to meet. the weather was quite warm (actually HOT for a January), and that affects how I feel as well. Anyway, by the time the excursion was over and I made my way back to the ship, I was not well! Thank goodness this was our last port and at the end of our cruise. Now I do my research and I have learned how to balance my rest and activity better. Your reviews have been very helpful with this! Any tips for Belize? I have been looking at theUnder water windows to the Wonders of the barrier reef /Rendezvous Caye excursion. Any thoughts or other suggestions? I think it might work well for me being a tender port, and that A boat would pick us up at the ship for our excursion. That's part of the reason why I'm looking at that it. Thanks again for the help!!!