Pre-Cruise Review - Holiday Inn Express Ft. Lauderdale/Convention Ctr, Cruise Port

LollyMoz

Hubby and I drove down to Fort Lauderdale on 12.21 for one night before our cruise. It was about a five hour drive from Tampa, including our stop in Ellenton to grab a bite to eat at the Waffle House. Had a really wonderful cheese steak omelet - fluffiest ever! Traffic wasn't bad and MapQuest took us right to the hotel. Knew we were in the right place when I walked in and met Everett, who so many have written about here on TA. And guess what...everyone is right...Everett is absolutely wonderful! Actually, the overall customer service experience at this hotel was quite extraordinary all the way around. This is a basic hotel, in an amazing location. Within one block of Walgreens, many dining options within easy walking distance (listed below), 1.5 blocks to the 17th street bridge (great for watching sailaways and taking photos of the cruise ships), Water Taxi pick up. When we arrived we settled in and then took a stroll to the bridge to look at the ships and take photos. From there we walked down the stairs at the bottom of the bridge and went to the Hilton for dockside drinks. A short stroll after that and we were at the Bimini Boat Yard, which was awesome! Great happy hour and beautiful location. We sat outside and enjoyed the lovely atmosphere. Great service and food...we had 2 glasses of wine, 1 beer, 2 happy hour appetizers and our tab was under $16 before tax and tip. We wandered back to the hotel, through the shopping plaza (drooling over the Burgher Yacht models on display..better win that lotto and quick!). The hotel was really quiet, despite being nearly full with many kids. We watched movies, I had a nice long bath with a glass of wine and my book, and got a good night's sleep (very comfortable mattress). Slept in until 7:30, thanks to the hotel being so quiet. Went down to the breakfast buffet - coffees, teas, juices, milks (wish they offered whole milk...and Splenda), cereals, breads, bagels, muffins, bananas, pastries, pancakes, cheese omelet, good sausage, biscuits and gravy. The buffet was well attended to and constantly refreshed. Gloria, the manager, was present and interacting with the guests - GREAT customer service! Free Wi-Fi at this hotel by the way...very nice!

When packing, I forgot 2 of my hubby's medications. No problem as we use Walgreens, and all I had to do was call over there and get 5 days worth. We walked down to Walgreens (with 8 ships in port, everything was really busy - lots and lots of crew members at Walgreens). From there we walked to Starbucks so I could get my iced tea (again, lots of crew members taking advantage of the Wi-Fi). Strolled down to the light to see what all was around. Back to the room to pack up and get the shuttle. The 12:30 shuttle actually was early and we were pulling out of the lot by 12:20. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone needing a place to stay that is sooo convenient to so many things. Don't hesitate to book! (PS - if you read the previous review that talks about someone having "black feet" after walking barefoot...I made a point of checking both my hubby's and my feet after the entire evening of walking barefoot in the room...our feet were perfectly clean!)

Thanks to all the wonderful staff we encountered during our stay for making things extra special.

Things within easy walking distance:

Food: Carrabba's - same side of street, 1/2 block west

Across street - 2 Italian places, Einstein, Starbucks, Panera, Shula Burger, Chipotle, Pei Wei, sushi, NY Deli, Bimini Boat Yard, Japanese @ Hilton

Grocery: Publix, Winn Dixie

Also: Total Wine, Walgreens, Crown Liquor, Water Taxi, Bus Stop just outside hotel.

11607550445_da4119f5e5.jpg

PC210001 by lollymoz, on Flickr

11607623865_150b0b947f.jpg

PC210002 by lollymoz, on Flickr

11607960064_2cf4b0522f.jpg

PC210003 by lollymoz, on Flickr

11607953854_91ce7df848.jpg

PC210005 by lollymoz, on Flickr

PC210005 by lollymoz, on Flickr

11608369326_3a2298868d.jpg

PC210007 by lollymoz, on Flickr

11608353156_363d973cb6.jpg

PC210012 by lollymoz, on Flickr

Was this the Holiday Inn on 17th street. That is where we booked before our cruise. Was there a charge for the shuttle, and can you just sign up for the shuttle when you check in or should it be done before?

Yes, this is the hotel on 17th. The shuttle is $8 pp and you book when you arrive at the hotel. You can book round trip or one way (we chose round trip). It is literally moments from the hotel to the port. We encountered congestion on the way in, but absolutely no traffic at all on the way out.

Great review! We're staying there pre and post cruise in April. Did you notice any other "kid friendly" restaurants in the area?

Thanks again!

Sorry to say that we didn't note any kid friendly places specifically, as we were kid-less. But, I think you are safe no matter what. It's a very welcoming area to all ages and you'll have a ball! Happy New Year!