"Friends of Dorothy" on Royal Caribbean - Allure of the Seas

Cruzin' Rob

My partner and I are traveling on Allure of the Seas next month. This will be his first cruise and it would be awesome to find other gay couples to hang out with. Has anyone ever been to one of the "Friends of Dorothy" meetings that is offered on Royal Caribbean ships?

Thanks

We just did a btb on the Radiance, around Austrialia & NZ. On both cruises, the LBGT was held at the Champaign bar & no turnout at all. Of course we did meet other couples during the cruise. I felt it was a wrong place to have it for somw people, very open space, not private for those who may be more closeted.

I always check the first day to see when and where. More so for the Allure and Oasis ships there is so much going on and meals can be at anytime compared to the early and late dining ways of past so finding a time is not as easy. I say poke your head and say hi. In the Champagne bar you can get free chocolate appetizers, just ask.

You can always post your own event like trying to get a gay group to do Rita's Cantina party one night.

The way Allure/Oasis are set up and scheduled is done purposely to keep everyone on the ship scattered around various "neighborhoods" so it doesn't seem like there are nearly 6000 passengers on board. What we've found is that this makes it difficult to get people together at any particular time, since there are always one or two other scheduled things you could be doing.

Most days when the FOD gathering was ostensibly scheduled, we were busy elsewhere. Just by chance, however, on the first formal night, we met two other gay male couples on the Rising Tide Bar, and later saw one of those couples and two guys from Austria in the Champagne Bar during the scheduled time for FOD.

Other than that, the times we poked our heads into the Champagne Bar around that time, we saw no one. As mentioned earlier, the best thing to do, apart from looking to see who might be there for the posted gathering, is to make plans to get together amongst anyone you do meet here and there, and picking your own convenient place/time.

Although they don't always get too much participation, try looking for or setting up a roll call on the G&L roll calls board. You might meet some people there, too. That only worked out for us once, on Oasis. This time around, although we chatted a few times with people beforehand, and did meet the one couple at the M&M, we never saw each other on board otherwise.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Edited by CntPAcruiser

• 3 weeks later...

We got off Allure last sunday. And even though we met a great danish couple, the FOD was quite disappointing. We were the only two couples that attender for the entire week.

But my gaydar was all over the place, and we observed at least four or five younger couples, in addition to a few middle-aged.

My tip is to point out on the board that it is infact LBGT/GAY gathering. Also post an alternate time. 5 pm might be too early for sun seeking gays.

There will never be a perfect time for everyone, but, I think some of their times are horrible. My recent Brillance cruise was a 5 night cruise and the standing FOD meeting card was for 10pm of the first sea day in the disco. Well in our case that was the third night of the cruise. IMO, they should always be on the first night, or the next morning, late, like11am, if it is a sea day.

• 3 weeks later...
My partner and I are traveling on Allure of the Seas next month. This will be his first cruise and it would be awesome to find other gay couples to hang out with. Has anyone ever been to one of the "Friends of Dorothy" meetings that is offered on Royal Caribbean ships?

Thanks

I'm assuming you're back now? How did it go? Did you get to a FOD meet? :)

• 2 weeks later...
There will never be a perfect time for everyone, but, I think some of their times are horrible. My recent Brillance cruise was a 5 night cruise and the standing FOD meeting card was for 10pm of the first sea day in the disco. Well in our case that was the third night of the cruise. IMO, they should always be on the first night, or the next morning, late, like11am, if it is a sea day.

Just wondering why you didn't post a better time/location on the board? That's what it's there for. If someone posted a time/location that's not convenient, there's nothing wrong with posting an alternate option (or two).

We just did a btb on the Radiance, around Austrialia & NZ. On both cruises, the LBGT was held at the Champaign bar & no turnout at all. Of course we did meet other couples during the cruise. I felt it was a wrong place to have it for somw people, very open space, not private for those who may be more closeted.

We too just off the Radiance for our B2B, cruising Australia and Tasmania and never found anyone at the posted 8PM or 10PM GLBT in the Champaign Bar. We did meet some wonderful gay and straight friends in the CL and D lounges to hang with during our cruise.

I agree we just have to post our own venue to see if anyone shows

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Actually, on Oasis recently the bulletin board card that was obviously put there by guest services was labeled as "LGBT Meet and Greet" and not Friends of Dorothy. I was happy to see the change, since so many people really have no idea what FOD is or why it was ever needed as a name.

But no one shows up to the Champagne Bar. You are always better off picking and posting an alternate time and venue, something after dinner time.

Actually, on Oasis recently the bulletin board card that was obviously put there by guest services was labeled as "LGBT Meet and Greet" and not Friends of Dorothy. I was happy to see the change, since so many people really have no idea what FOD is or why it was ever needed as a name.

But no one shows up to the Champagne Bar. You are always better off picking and posting an alternate time and venue, something after dinner time.

"labeled as "LGBT Meet and Greet"

I see FOD, LGBT and GLBT posted. Isn't the new proper posting GLBT?

Edited by CrusingJoe

Joe, I don't know what the "PC" term is these days - but I remember the Oasis having a card labeled "LGBT". I think that's the usual order I see these days :)

Hi Matt, that's what I see most often. Whatever it is we know!;)

Edited by CrusingJoe

This will be our second trip on The Allure of the Seas. We loved the Friends of Dorothy gatherings in the Champagne Bar. When we went in 2012 we had a ocean balcony and this time we have a balcony looking down on The Boardwalk.

• 2 weeks later...