Drift Snorkel

ducklite

I would highly recommend Katy from Yaka Plongee in Rangiroa. She takes out small groups for close to the same price as the cruise lines. She was an incredible guide and personalized the excursion to meet our wants. There were only three of us on this excursion so we were able to do the pass multiple times on each side of the wall followed by a stop in calmer waters with lots of fish.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hello fellow cruisers,

This is our 1st cruise and trip to Tahiti on Oceania March 26, 2014. Can anyone recommend a Drift Snorkel tour that is not with a mob of people? I hear there is one that you walk (20 mins) thru island and drift snorkel the current back to the boat. I have one tentatively reserved with Moorea Mahana Tours and we have to go to the Intercontinental Hotel to take. Anyone you can recommend that meets at dock?

In Rangaria, we are on the Blue lagoon tour with Jean-Pierre. Also I have reserved a drift snorkel with a tour company (boat holds 7) and if we choose this I can add 1 more couple for $65/pp

CHEERS!

Cant wait....Kelly

There is no 'drift' snorkeling ***** Moorea that is similar to Tahaa or Rangiora. There mifgt be a company that takes you to the bay opening that has a bit of current but nothing that compares to Tahaa or Rangiora

I've got several dives and a drift snorkel scheduled for our April trip. Should I bring my own dive fins rather than use PG's? Mine are pretty good long spllt fins that require booties, but are heavy. when I used them in Thunderball Grotto in the Bahamas, I was able to swim against the current much better than anyone else there so there's a definite advantage. Just not sure if they'll be a bit too bulky. Frankly, though, I'd rather have my own snorkeling gear and shortie. Just not sure how many others bring their own gear.

Edited by RZ3

I can't answer your question about how many bring their own gear but I can say we will be bringing ours on our next trip. Their borrowed gear is fine but once you get used to your own mask and fins, it's hard to go back. Now, having said that, there are many snorkel trips I may use their fins so I don't have to lug the larger, heavier ones around on the excursions that don't require them. Since we will be diving a couple times we will definitely want our own for those times.

The good thing about having booties is that you may be able to use them for reef shoes too.

Liz

Edited by loungelizard61

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to second remalux's review of Katy from Yaka Plongee. I booked with her online after reading a review from remaxlu (thanks!)and she was a wonderful guide. Our day in Rangiroa was stormy and the seas were choppy. We were happy that she wasn't willing to add more people to the excursion even when asked at the dock. There were about 5 of us and she made us feel very comfortable by being in the water with us the whole time. We weren't able to do the drift snorkel with the conditions but she got us into other areas away from the crowds. And when they left, we went to the "aquarium". Thank goodness she was there with us to point out the very large moray eels who near the end came out for a swim. Great day even though the weather was not!

Thank you, I have booked with Katy and am hopefully looking forward to 2 drift snorkels. We have 6 in jet raft (I like small tours). Thank you so much for your input. When did you use them? Wondering what weather will be like?

Cheers..Kelly

I know you are going to have a wonderful time with Katy and really wish we hadn't missed the drift snorkeling. Our trip was this February but every person that I talked to on the islands and the ship indicated that we experienced some unusual weather. We still did a lot of our privately booked excursions and the good news is that the rain is really warm. I'll never forget snorkeling with rain pouring on my back. As for you, I'm hoping you have sun and warmth....enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

We did the one at Tahaa and the current was not strong that day but a friend of mine took it a couple years earlier and got rather scraped up. The passageway is very narrow and you could get pushed into the coral---it is also very shallow. The guide led us both ways and we went out and returned the same passageway. I don't recall if we were allowed fins or not.