Advise on family cruise

jtwanabe

Around the campfire this holiday somebody jumped up and said

lets go a cruise next Christmas . We are talking a minimum of 6 adults and

two small children or about 3 staterooms. None of us are rich so

Some questions:

1) What is the best way to go about this.

2) Discounts for 3 room booking?

3) How many does a suite hold and would that be a better way to go

about it.

Thanks,

JT:rolleyes:

1) What is the best way to go about this. find some islands you want to visit, then find ships that go there. you can go to youtube and put in the island. names or the names of the ships and see tons of videos. also book online on your own

2) Discounts for 3 room booking? nope

about it. I think max is 5 people & most likely cheaper to do 3 cabins.

Edited by morganboys

Around the campfire this holiday somebody jumped up and said

lets go a cruise next Christmas . We are talking a minimum of 6 adults and

two small children or about 3 staterooms. None of us are rich so

Some questions:

about it.

Thanks,

JT:rolleyes:

1) go to the cruise lines website. Research cruises there.

2) nope.

3) cheaper to get 3 inside cabins. You wouldn't be able to fit everyone in a suite, nor would you be allowed to. When you book, book early saver to get free upgrades, discounts and OBC. Book early and hopefully the fares will go down on your cruise.

Carnival.com

Nope, sorry

about it.

I think a couple will hold 5, but just getting 3 inside cabins would probably be cheapest and most comfortable.

If you are really trying to save money, I second the suggestion to go a few weeks before or after Christmas.

Great idea, have fun!

1) go to the cruise lines website. Research cruises there.

2) nope.

3) cheaper to get 3 inside cabins. You wouldn't be able to fit everyone in a suite, nor would you be allowed to. When you book, book early saver to get free upgrades, discounts and OBC. Book early and hopefully the fares will go down on your cruise.

Before you book Early Saver, make sure you know all of the restrictions that are involved. Any changes will cost you.

For first time cruisers, I would suggest either getting a PVP (Personal Vacation Planner) by calling Carnival or going through a travel agent. There are a lot of things other than just picking a ship and a cabin that first time cruisers don't know about. A good PVP or TA will be able to answer any questions that you have whereas if you book online, you're on your own.

Edited by RWolver672

Before you book Early Saver, make sure you know all of the restrictions that are involved. Any changes will cost you.

For first time cruisers, I would suggest either getting a PVP (Personal Vacation Planner) by calling Carnival or going through a travel agent. There are a lot of things other than just picking a ship and a cabin that first time cruisers don't know about. A good PVP or TA will be able to answer any questions that you have whereas if you book online, you're on your own.

Agreed. And make sure you DO know all of the restrictions and penalties applicable to booking early saver. You can get price drops with most any other rate as well - just early saver allows you to get drops if they occur up to 2 days before sailing.

Decide which port you can get to the most convenient and economical way, then go from there. Taking a family can be expensive flying. There may be a ship leaving from a port you can drive to.

You have to have 8 cabins (16 people) to get a group discount.

If you only have three cabins AND you choose not to do any time dining, you can (and should) link the reservations after you've each booked. That makes sure you will be seated together at dinner. (With ATD, you just show up together and ask to be seated at one table.)

I went on a Disney cruise with two sets of friends. Two of us had cabins on the same deck (about 5 cabins between us) and the other friend was on a different deck. We still saw each other a lot, so don't feel like you all have to book side by side rooms.

Have fun!

You have to have 8 cabins (16 people) to get a group discount.

If you only have three cabins AND you choose not to do any time dining, you can (and should) link the reservations after you've each booked. That makes sure you will be seated together at dinner. (With ATD, you just show up together and ask to be seated at one table.)

I went on a Disney cruise with two sets of friends. Two of us had cabins on the same deck (about 5 cabins between us) and the other friend was on a different deck. We still saw each other a lot, so don't feel like you all have to book side by side rooms.

Have fun!

You can get a group discount with 5 cabins. My advice would be to check with some friends to see if they would like to join you.. If you get a minimum of eight cabins then you can get a refund of the cost of half a cabin(minus the non-commisionable fare of $175). Get a good travel agent as they can get perks added like onboard credit, free picture, reduced fare etc.

Going just before or after the holidays you will find better deals.

We did six cabins in October on the Freedom. It was great! We did have to do some advance planning though. I was the point person that made sure all reservations were linked for dining. Since there were so many of us we needed to do assigned dining. I also planned what our family was doing in all the ports and then told the others they could join us if they wanted to and I gave them other options as well. They chose to join us so I planned all the shore excursions. Group transportation was the most challenging but it all worked out. We drove to port, pricelined hotel and did offsite parking. This saved a ton of money! We are planning another one for this October.