Southern Caribbean

When is the best time of year to do the Southern Caribbean route on Jewel of the Seas? I would like to avoid extreme heat and the chance of major tropical storms. I was thinking October. Please tell me your opinion/experience.

When is the best time of year to do the Southern Caribbean route on Jewel of the Seas? I would like to avoid extreme heat and the chance of major tropical storms. I was thinking October. Please tell me your opinion/experience.

Hurrican "season" is June through November. They happen at other times, but the likelyhood is higher during this time period. I personally prefer Jan - March/April.

We love the Southern Caribbean - you won't regret it.

I agree with anytime:D

If you live in a cold weather place, you may prefer to "getaway" during the worst of Northern Hemisphere winter, but you'll have plenty of company. The hotels on the islands are more likely to be filled, and there will be more ships in port. Traveling during hurricane season is more risky; if a storm comes up, but they are still pretty rare and the islands will be much quieter. NH Summer is a great time, not only cheaper, but less crowded, although there are fewer ships to choose from. The weather changes are small at the equator!!

Good luck!

Edited by Familygoboston

I agree with anytime:D

The weather changes are small at the equator!!

Good luck!

True. I think San Juan averages 82 degrees year 'round. I had a taxi driver that told me the temp was the same all year long but the humidity was worse in the summer. Then he mumbled something about his girlfriend and her hair which at least gave me a reason for why I was struggling with my hair that day.

High today in Columbia, MO is 14. 82 sounds really nice...:D

We just did the Southern on Sept 1, and the weather was great! Lots of pool time (on and off the ship), and we had a great time on a Daysail in St Thomas, and snorkeling with turtles in Barbados!

Edited by RhondaC

Early May is our best time. Not only does it work with my employer's restrictions, but it is after spring break and before the hurricane season and the summer family cruise time. I love kids, but prefer a more adult cruise. The humidity hasn't gotten as bad as it will be a month later, either. September and October are the height of the hurricane season. While the more southern islands aren't as badly affected by hurricanes, San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Martin are more in the "hurricane path".

Early May is our best time. Not only does it work with my employer's restrictions, but it is after spring break and before the hurricane season and the summer family cruise time. I love kids, but prefer a more adult cruise. The humidity hasn't gotten as bad as it will be a month later, either. September and October are the height of the hurricane season. While the more southern islands aren't as badly affected by hurricanes, San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Martin are more in the "hurricane path".

I agree with all the above. couldn't have said it better myself.

Let me add that the weather in Jan - March has good weather but rougher seas.

Even the big boats rock a little in big waves.

Early to mid December is shoulder and a great time to head to warmer weather if you live in a snowy region. Prices are reduced to peak, but everything is open and busy since they're gearing up for peak season.

Mid to late April is also shoulder where you again see great deals, but everything is also still in tip-top shape and fully staffed as peak season winds down.

The above is especially true for resort vacations, but the pricing is also accurate for cruising... I'm not sure how much staffing reductions happen in the ports in S. Carib though.

We like late February to late March. We live in the northeast so it's nice to get away from the bad weather. We usually do early March since it's somewhat less likely that we will have issues with flights due to snow. Just to be safe we do fly out a day ahead.

More reasons we like early May:

*less likely to have weather delays. It has happened to us even then, but there is less of a chance.

*It is past the peak of flu and NORO season, so we stand a better chance of having a healthy cruise!

We live in Arizona, so escaping the cold blast of winter isn't an issue for us. Now, I would love to escape on a cruise to ALASKA anytime June - September!:D

We have done the Southern caribbean three times...all in January.

The weather was great, Aruba was a little windy, overall 80s without a hurricane threat.

I do agree cruising in the winter does throw in the travel monkey wrench. We travel from New Eng land and although nonstop, we have had weather related delays. Plan to arrive at least a day early. San Juan is actually a great place to explore before departing.

The Southern Caribbean Islands are really my favorites.