Started Atkins!

aren't you worried about screwing up your metabolism?

They're honest questions, please don't take it as badgering :) I assume you've gone to a veggie-less induction phase more than once before so you probably know what happens when you come off it suddenly, and I'd be curious to know what effects it has on you?

My metabolism is screwed up already from eating the tons of processed carbohydrates that we are consuming every day. I am getting my metabolism back to where it should be. I don't do anything suddenly, I slowly add carbs till I'm at a maintenance level. It's tough because I, like many people, have an intolerance of carbs. I do stay as far away from simple carbs such as the -ose group, sucrose, fructose, glucose, etc. They are the killers.

It's all really simple. You lower your carb intake until you go into ketosis. When you have lost the weight you want to lose, you begin eating carbs until your body reaches an equilibrium. Add too many carbs and you blood sugar begins bouncing around like a ping pong ball and your body produces insulin which causes the body to store the excess blood sugar as FAT. When your blood sugar drops too low the FMH (fat mobilizing hormone) kicks in and uses the stored fat, turning it into blood sugar for the body to use.

I realize this is a very oversimplified explanation of what really happens. I could go into much more detail and most would not be able to understand what I was talking about. All you really need to know is that it works. The added bonus is that the process to turn fat into sugar is a very inefficient process and therefore you gain even more weight loss. This inefficency produces the ketones, which also provide a way to see if you are still burning fat.

BTW, I take a therapeutic multi vitamin mineral tablet, 1 gram of C, 400 IU vitamin E and a B50 (b-complex) tablet daily.

day 22, 30 lbs.

Reggie:D

Ahhh thanks Reggie :)

I followed Atkins for a year and lost 90 pounds. I was eating about 800-1000 calories a day though and I found that my metabolism was really really screwed up after the year. I would eat about 1200 calories and gain weight. I'm slowly getting my metabolism back on track by eating 6 meals a day of low glycemic fruits/veggies/whole wheat products and lots of protein, and doing cardio and weight training. I don't think I'd ever eat that low calorie-wise for that long of a period again :)

reggierail...I'm curious as to what you eat to keep you below the 20 carbs a day. Please share! Congrats on the weight loss!

For breakfast i have eggs, fried, scrambled or I make an omelette. You can even have eggs benedict just lose the muffin. To my scrambled eggs or omelette I will add chilis (I like 'em hot), bell peppers, mushrooms, onions and a lot of cheese. I'll have bacon, ham or sausage and on occasion I'll take 2 cans of corned beef and one can of corned beef hash and mix together in a frying pan. It will give 6-8 servings of corned beef hash with a lot less of the potatoes. Each serving will have between 5&7 grams of carbs. I'm careful when using sausage or other processed meats as many contain carbs so I use those with none or very few carbs. And I have my coffee with real cream.

For lunch I'll make a chicken salad or ham or egg or tuna using mayo or my own bleu cheese dressing. Put in a little onion, some celery, chopped bell peppers and chopped olives or pickles. When I'm in a hurry I'll just do a couple of hard boiled eggs and maybe some summer sausage and a few chunks of hard cheese, some sliced bell peppers and olives.

Dinner will be any variation on beef, pork, poultry or fish. I can whip up some pretty tasty sauces that have little or no carbs. I've also been known to have a lobster tail, shrimp or crab all with drawn butter. Some asparagus, cauliflower or brocolli goes well with a nice big chunk of butter and a drop or 2 of lemon juice. How does a standing rib roast and asparagus with hollandais sauce sound, it sounds great to me.

For dessert I'll have some of my home made cheese cake or some sugar free jello with a big old dollop of whipped cream.

I tell you, I really suffer and deal with constant starvation on this diet.:rolleyes:

Ahhh thanks Reggie :)

I followed Atkins for a year and lost 90 pounds. I was eating about 800-1000 calories a day though and I found that my metabolism was really really screwed up after the year. I would eat about 1200 calories and gain weight. I'm slowly getting my metabolism back on track by eating 6 meals a day of low glycemic fruits/veggies/whole wheat products and lots of protein, and doing cardio and weight training. I don't think I'd ever eat that low calorie-wise for that long of a period again :)

I just don't know what to say. I never counted calories on Atkins and that's why it is so great. I know I am eating maybe twice the calories of somone not on Atkins and still lose weight and they will gain. In the first Atkins book it is stated that calories don't count and many people on this diet will consume many more calories, just less carbs. I know that the prime rib and asparagus with hollandais sauce I had a few days ago probably had over a thousand calories.:eek:

I'd say I'm probably at 2000-3000 calories per day.

Yeah I didn't count them either. When I was in Ketosis I wasn't hungry enough to eat much more than 1000 calories a day though.

That is very true. Your hunger is satiated on a low carb diet. I've seen the quantity of food that I eat to be less than before and my hunger doesn't return for much longer after eating. I guess some people would have a problem with that, but to many it would be a big plus. Obviously the less you eat the more you will lose.

I can't believe this stinking board:mad:

I made a reply with my cheesecake recipe and it got lost in cyberspace.

It locked up IE and I had to reboot.:mad:

Well let's try again.:rolleyes:

5 packages 8 oz cream cheese

4 large eggs

16-18 packets artificial sweetener (I used splenda 3/4 cup)

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 cup heavy cream

dash or more of lemon zest to taste

It must be cooked thoroughly or the texture will not be right.

Do the toothpick test.

Make sure that cream cheese, cream and eggs are at room temperature (very important).

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a springform pan with a non-stick spray.

You can also coat the pan with Nucoa or butter

In a large bowl mix all except cream cheese. Add cream cheese in 2 oz chunks for easier beating. After all the lumps are gone pour into the pan and bake for 50 minutes to one hour.

Refrigerate overnight for best results.

Top with real whipped cream adding some vanilla and a dash of cinnamon, allspice or nutmeg on top.

Enjoy,

Reggie,

Thanks for posting the recipe...

with the Splenda, is it the "baking" measure for measure kind?

(gotta try this recipe as well as a Paula Dean p-butter cookie that my DD wants me to try-- saw on cooking show and Libby knows that I'm a low-carber... gotta love my 9 yo)

It's great that you're having great success this time around w/Atkins (it's a no-brainer, and if it works for you it's the "way to go") just be careful with the last few pounds, they can be pesky and try to incorporate your new eating and lifestyle to succeed w/maintainance...

I haven't posted much to this threat ... am an "old timer" hear.. been "living" Atkins for over 5 years now.. maintaining and knowing that I am a nicer person and feel so much better when I'm low carbing.. the energy etc. is great.

Keep up the great progress, btw, when's your next cruise?

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn.:)

Actually the recipe is from someone else so I don't know about the Splenda.

I have tweaked the recipe to suit my tastes, for example the lemon zest, and you can also use orange zest.;)

I've been blocking my sig to try and do my part to help with the terrible state of this board lately.

My next cruise is on the Infinity Dec. 4, 2005 to Mexico.

I booked balcony guarantee and lucked out with one of the huge balcony 2C cabins, about 80 square feet.:eek: I couldn't have picked a better cabin.

Archived