Waged War on My Closet and Won-The Sequel

Gathina

Congratulations-isn't it liberating? On the dresses, for myself I'd be inclined to keep them if I could get more wear out of them-would anyone on the next cruise "know" you are wearing a dress you wore before?? Nope. I find on evening wear those are better of sold for thrift, swapped with a friend or given to some store that has high end stuff for sale and the proceeds go to charity.

I waged war on my entire wardrobe this weekend. I made DH give me opinions on some old cruise dresses so that I would have a second opinion on whether to keep or purge. Now I just need to tackle the shoes...

What a great thread for the new year. I am guilty of buying to save money too, plus engaging in retail therapy, which only makes me feel better for a very short time.

I am slowly purging my closet of items that, while I may love them, or once loved them, I find I never wear them. I keep a large black trash bag in my closet. If I put something on, and take it off because I don't like the way it fits, looks, hangs, whatever, into the bag it goes.

Great idea. I have decided on 2 bags, one for rubbish damaged whatever items, and the other for the charity shop. I just took some items on a cruise that I just don't like. They just don't fit well, but they were backups. What a waste of space. My arms were so sore when I got home from lugging a heavy suitcase and a tote bag.

Quality items are better value for money. Bargains are not always bargains - a very good topic!

Great job-we need to take back our closets and our lives! Here's to a better , more organized wardrobe and life.

Wage on, ladies! :)

Great idea. I have decided on 2 bags, one for rubbish damaged whatever items, and the other for the charity shop. I just took some items on a cruise that I just don't like. They just don't fit well, but they were backups. What a waste of space. My arms were so sore when I got home from lugging a heavy suitcase and a tote bag.

Quality items are better value for money. Bargains are not always bargains - a very good topic!

Have gotten rid of TEN pairs of footwear. G'bye. It was tough, but some of them have NEVER been worn, and they weren't paying rent, so why give them the space, right?

Have been taking loads of clothes to the thrift shop. I'm "releasing them to the universe" and someone will be thrilled to get them. Talbots, Jones New York, even Badgley Mischka, Escada, and St. John. Gone. Outta here. Everything gets offered to friends first, if they don't want stuff, then off to the thrift.

Next is my scarf drawer. I started on it once, but stopped. I have several very expensive scarves that I never use. Never. Those won't go to thrift, though, they will end up on ebay or Etsy.

I even gave away some jewelry!

You reap what you sow-you are sowing into someone else's life who will greatly appreciate it-which means you will REAP big time when you are looking for that "one thing" you've never been able to find!

Wage on, sister! :)

Have gotten rid of TEN pairs of footwear. G'bye. It was tough, but some of them have NEVER been worn, and they weren't paying rent, so why give them the space, right?

Have been taking loads of clothes to the thrift shop. I'm "releasing them to the universe" and someone will be thrilled to get them. Talbots, Jones New York, even Badgley Mischka, Escada, and St. John. Gone. Outta here. Everything gets offered to friends first, if they don't want stuff, then off to the thrift.

Next is my scarf drawer. I started on it once, but stopped. I have several very expensive scarves that I never use. Never. Those won't go to thrift, though, they will end up on ebay or Etsy.

I even gave away some jewelry!

• 1 month later...

Ok can't remember who posted something in this thread about shoes and my poor eyes can't seem to find it-but-I have now purged the closet of crap shoes and have decided to take the leap-gasp-and buy really, good, excellent made shoes-give them their own special boxes for storage, buy the right cleaning products, etc.

I've decided to pare it down to no more than 7 pairs-so far: found a pair of Russell Bromley flats that could go with several types of outfits-never in my life have I paid $250 for a pair of shoesgasp..-the quality is impeccable..so am looking at this an an investment in the future..my plan is to buy one pair "per quarter" until I fulfill my mission..

Any tips on perhaps what styles/colors to look for that can go with either pants, skirts, or dresses would be appreciated. Have decided to look for leather and made only in England, Italy, Brazil or Spain. Tips anyone?

I bought a pair of shoes while shopping last week because my feet were killing me in the shoes I had on. I wore the new shoes immediately and had the store throw away the old ones, they were pretty worn and I knew if I brought them home they would go back into the closet. I was so impressed with myself I purged 6 more pairs that day.

Now to do the same with some clothes "I might want to wear someday", but probably won't. Oh, I did buy a new dress but got rid of one too.

Mary Lou

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

What brand shoes? I'm interested in knowing what some are the better quality ones that are out there that people like

I bought a pair of shoes while shopping last week because my feet were killing me in the shoes I had on. I wore the new shoes immediately and had the store throw away the old ones, they were pretty worn and I knew if I brought them home they would go back into the closet. I was so impressed with myself I purged 6 more pairs that day.

Now to do the same with some clothes "I might want to wear someday", but probably won't. Oh, I did buy a new dress but got rid of one too.

Mary Lou

What brand shoes? I'm interested in knowing what some are the better quality ones that are out there that people like

My favorite shoes are Talbots. They are good quality without being outrageously expensive. And, they fit my feet, as I buy them online. I have discovered Not Your Daughter's jeans work for my 62 year old body.

Shoes have always been my thing. I have one of those over the door shoe holders that store shoes on the entire door. I double them up sometimes---there was so much weight, we came home from our last cruise to find shoes all over the floor when the shoe holder broke off from the weight. I also have shoes stacked in boxes by color on the top closet shelf, which is U shaped and 8 ft wide.

I remember telling you I couldn't do what you did, paring down shoes. I didn't mean it critically.....you can see there is no way I could change my ways. It's not my fault---it's genetic. I am clearing out my mom's house. She must have had 15 black skirts, all in good condition. I found VanEli flats---duplicates---never worn! After she got dementia, she didn't remember what she had and kept buying more from catalogs!

I never took it critically so no worries-I've been following a blog and FB page "Living Well,Spending Less"and found some fellow purgers. I have been in London for work this week and this is the first trip I haven't bought up everything in sight even in my beloved Charity shops for clothes. I decided to focus on trying to find some good shoes: have found some Russell Bromley shoes made in Italy,and looked at some others made in Spain and England. Shoes here are amazing with what you can find. I found a pair that I reallly like, they are the equivalent of about $250 US dollars and after pondering them several days am probably going to buy them at the end of the week as I can see them fitting my "mission" :)

My favorite shoes are Talbots. They are good quality without being outrageously expensive. And, they fit my feet, as I buy them online. I have discovered Not Your Daughter's jeans work for my 62 year old body.

Shoes have always been my thing. I have one of those over the door shoe holders that store shoes on the entire door. I double them up sometimes---there was so much weight, we came home from our last cruise to find shoes all over the floor when the shoe holder broke off from the weight. I also have shoes stacked in boxes by color on the top closet shelf, which is U shaped and 8 ft wide.

I remember telling you I couldn't do what you did, paring down shoes. I didn't mean it critically.....you can see there is no way I could change my ways. It's not my fault---it's genetic. I am clearing out my mom's house. She must have had 15 black skirts, all in good condition. I found VanEli flats---duplicates---never worn! After she got dementia, she didn't remember what she had and kept buying more from catalogs!

Status check-in for me! I have two big black trash bags STUFFED with clothes and other miscellany in the back of my car, bound for Goodwill today. And, I have more thing I've stumbled upon to start filling a third bag.

I never took it critically so no worries-I've been following a blog and FB page "Living Well,Spending Less"and found some fellow purgers. I have been in London for work this week and this is the first trip I haven't bought up everything in sight even in my beloved Charity shops for clothes. I decided to focus on trying to find some good shoes: have found some Russell Bromley shoes made in Italy,and looked at some others made in Spain and England. Shoes here are amazing with what you can find. I found a pair that I reallly like, they are the equivalent of about $250 US dollars and after pondering them several days am probably going to buy them at the end of the week as I can see them fitting my "mission" :)

Every person's feet are different, so what is a "perfect shoe" for some, will not be for others.

Here are some brands I like (PS -- great score on the Russell Bromleys!) -- Ferragamo, Stuart Weitzman, Bally. I look for shoes that are made in Italy -- if they are a brand I don't know, but made in Italy, I will certainly try them on, at least :) Some people LOVE Coach and Cole Haan, but those don't fit me well, so I have stopped buying them. For casual sandals to wear with pants/jeans/shorts, or days I have to WALK lots, I go to Merrell.

Look for leather uppers and leather lining. Depends on what you will use them for whether you should go with leather soles or not. I find leather soles WAY more comfortable than any other type, BUT they can be slippery, so not what you want in e.g., most boots.

I know I'll have other suggestions. I'll be back :D

This thread is very enlightening and I am following thru with it also. After I retired from JCP 2 years ago (the end of this month).:D I realized just how many clothes I did have and so the purge had started, luckily I have a sister and niece that will take all that I get rid of so I collect things and when I get to see them they are thrilled.. I realized that I don't need 20 some pairs of dress slacks any more.. I too have problems with the shoe thing so that is a work in progress. I am very hard on shoes so I do have a lot of them but working on paring them down especially the sandals, the high heels went out the door years ago but I did keep a couple of low heel dressy heels,, low low heels;)..

Good luck to everyone that is currently working on the purge program..

The Russell & Bromelys are impeccable-so I'm in London this week on business and spent an entire day thrift store shopping in Camdentown..and saw scores of fine leather Italian shoes-but not my size..for the price and quality of "used" they were worth it. Ferragamo's I have tried this week but tend to be a little narrow. I withheld buying more clothes thinking of my "war" and what I've accomplished-and even brought a pair of shoes BACK after laying in bed and surveying my closet and realized they would go with NOTHING. Proud moment but not an easy one! :)

Every person's feet are different, so what is a "perfect shoe" for some, will not be for others.

Here are some brands I like (PS -- great score on the Russell Bromleys!) -- Ferragamo, Stuart Weitzman, Bally. I look for shoes that are made in Italy -- if they are a brand I don't know, but made in Italy, I will certainly try them on, at least :) Some people LOVE Coach and Cole Haan, but those don't fit me well, so I have stopped buying them. For casual sandals to wear with pants/jeans/shorts, or days I have to WALK lots, I go to Merrell.

Look for leather uppers and leather lining. Depends on what you will use them for whether you should go with leather soles or not. I find leather soles WAY more comfortable than any other type, BUT they can be slippery, so not what you want in e.g., most boots.

I know I'll have other suggestions. I'll be back :D

http://www.russellandbromley.co.uk/dress-flats/the-frame/invt/123058

Hopefully I posted the link correctly-I like this shoe because it can go with a variety of colors in my wardrobe for a variety of seasons, dressy enough for a skirt or dress pants but funky enough for nice jeans. So they fulfill part of my mission :)

http://www.russellandbromley.co.uk/dress-flats/the-frame/invt/123058

Hopefully I posted the link correctly-I like this shoe because it can go with a variety of colors in my wardrobe for a variety of seasons, dressy enough for a skirt or dress pants but funky enough for nice jeans. So they fulfill part of my mission :)

Cute shoe! :)

Well, for the last month or so I have been waging war on my house.

I have already taken 4 large lawn and leaf bags full of clothes to our shelter that helps battered women and children.

Got rid of 4 pairs of shoes but have several more to go to my daughters, even waged war on my husbands closet and he hasn't missed a thing that went in one of the bags.

Now I am waging the war on my craftroom. I am getting all of the loose pictures I have here done into scrapbooks.

So far I have done 9 small books and the one big family album with pictures that are as much as 100 years old in it.

I am almost finished with that and then the papers and decorations that are left will be sorted and given to my daughters because they are big on scrapbooking.

My kitchen gets a war raged on it quite often so that is pretty much done.

After the craft room is done I will do the dining room and the get rid of things in the china hutch that we don't use.

I don't entertain like we used to and we don't do banquets anymore so I don't need 150 wine glasses and etc.

It is only my husband and I at home now and we don't do catering anymore so we don't need all the catering stuff.

It feels so good to be able to "release" these things to the Universe as someone said on here! Paying it forward to another person that needs it.

Have a great pergeing day everyone,

Gerry

They are like $250 US and overall I like the looks and quality of many of the shoes I saw in the store.I have 3 more days in London..I think those shoes are going to be very versatile!

It's amazing how having less stuff can liberate you-and help others. I finished purging all my beauty products not too long ago and settled on just the basics by these brands: Dior, Aveda, Pure.

My laundry and cleaning products: Returned to using Shaklee. WOW. what a difference in the cleanliness of my clothes. A little costly but a $17 bottle of Basic H will last me about a year.

Purge on, ladies!!:)

Congrats to everyone who is making progress!

Gathina those shoes are ADORABLE!

Another brand I like, less high-end but comfy and durable, is Josef Seibel. Not exactly sure on the spelling.....

Twice a year I clean out my closets and donate everything to several of my favorite charities. But, I have yet to touch the closet in the guest room. It is a total mess! When I had to tell my DS's frat brother that he best not open the closet door because I was afraid everything would fall on him:eek:..that was my breaking point. I was so :o! Thank goodness he was only visiting for three nights, I did put up one of those hanging things on the outside of the closet door for him to hang his tux (we were going to the Grammy Awards show and after party) but I still feel bad that I didn't have room in the closet for my DS's guest. So, when I get back from my trip to FL, I'm going to clean it out. The DH jokes that, for our trip to FL, I should shop my guestroom closet instead of buying new stuff! LOL! As if!:D

Edited by mousey

CowPrincess, I bought the shoes today as it's my last day in London. I got out of work then headed down to Oxford street-they were gone-a quick look in "the system" and the clerk learned they had only 3 pair in my size in the entire city( they have like a dozen shops)-one pair left in the warehouse,someone was dispatched and they arrived in the store 30 minutes later. The quality is impeccable and the fit even more. They came out to about $263.00 in US currency..never in my life have I bought shoes as an investment" and now I'm afraid to wear them! :)

Gathina I hear you on the "afraid to wear" issue :D

Those shoes are gorgeous, and they are an investment in your personal wellbeing. So once they are done/gone, you will have your wellbeing as ROI :D

Get some suede protector, and a suede brush, and know that you will be able to care for them properly and ensure many many wearings.

I can't remember the brand of a pair of suede shoes I owned, they were French and fabulous. And ruined before wearing by a cat vomitting in them ;) Whatever wear you get from your new GORGEOUS shoes, you will exceed my track record :D

Like nice undies etc, shoes are consummables (sp?) in my opinion. Wear them, enjoy them, smile about them.

Congratulations! You are living up to your plans!