Waged War on My Closet and Won-The Sequel

Gathina

I have an "awful" trial I'm an expert witness in so I'm wearing the Russell and Bromley shoes tomorrow-I need all the confidence I can get!

I used to work for a firm of expert witnesses, engineers mostly, did accident reconstruction. Curious if you don't mind saying, what's your field?

part time professor, consultant and neuropsychologist (yes really)

I used to work for a firm of expert witnesses, engineers mostly, did accident reconstruction. Curious if you don't mind saying, what's your field?

Shoes looked fabulous-but to my surprise, not as comfortable as when I bought them-I bought them after hours of traipsing on foot in London so I thought your supposed to buy shoes when your feet are "swollen" at the end of the day-but I have another thing today that I have to look good for so I'm giving them another round

So how did the shoes do in court?

Shoes looked fabulous-but to my surprise, not as comfortable as when I bought them-I bought them after hours of traipsing on foot in London so I thought your supposed to buy shoes when your feet are "swollen" at the end of the day-but I have another thing today that I have to look good for so I'm giving them another round

Sorry they aren't yet as comfy as you hoped. I think what happens, after a day of walking/shopping/abusing one's feet, that once you get OUT of whatever shoes you are wearing, your feet feel better, and that halo effect can carry over to the new shoes you are trying on. Heaven knows, I've bought shoes the felt good when tried on at the end of the day, only to find them less comfortable once I own them.

Lazares of Windsor..I think I'm going to keep it ..it looks like something you'd see Lucille Ball wear..

That is a coincidence.... I used to shop there as Windsor is across the river from us. There is now a Lazarre's in the city where I live---a suburb of Detroit. They sell quality stuff, although once I bought a fur that had to be returned there. It had a bald patch on the sleeve, which wasn't visible! I can't bring myself to wear furs anymore....even the gorgeous mink inherited from my mother. Although, never say never....

I found a hair care line I like, and use only Christian Dior makeup.

War on the makeup and perfumes: Almost finished, and some very excited teen girls were thrilled to help out. Replaced with Dior and Laura Mercier.

You seem really hung up on brands since you have told us twice about your Dior makeup. Just because it costs a lot of money doesn't mean it is the best makeup. I got the Diorshow Extase mascara and it is absolute garbage. It is clumpy and makes my eyelashes look like creepy spiders. There are plenty of inexpensive items that work great! Also realize that all that expensive makeup has an expiration so don't just save it because it has a flashy package and designer label. Rather than invest in expensive makeup I would invest in some good brushes. You can have the best makeup but if you are still using sponge tip applicators and little blush brushes that come in the compact then you are basically finger painting.

I'm with you-if I like Dior makeup and it works for me and I can consider it good quality, why is that so wrong? why is that boasting?

If I want to buy a pair of shoes that cost $350 and I think it's worth it in value and quality, why is that wrong or boasting?

Similarly, if I want to buy an Escada suit in a thrift shop for $30 and it's good quality and made well with fine fabric and I'll wear it for a few years, why is that wrong or boasting? Would it be better to buy a piece of crap at Kohls for the same price that you can tell from how it's made that it's poor quality?

If I can't find something at Walmart that is good quality and price or Kohls, why would I shop there? It's not logical.

But then again, people who jump to conclusions as part of their workout routine are not logical either. Like my dad always said, some people would miss the point even if they sat on it. How boorish.

Cowprincess-don't hold your breath waiting for an explanation of why it makes a difference to her

I'm sad for you that you felt the need to be so harsh and judgmental. Why are you so hostile about someone choosing to buy designer make up? If someone likes it, and it works for them, what possible difference can it make to you?

If I find good value in certain designer items, who are you to decide that is not how I should spend my money?

BTW I buy Hanes cotton underwear and Hermes silk scarves. I use Elemis shampoo and L'Oreal mascara. Each of those provides me with both the VALUE and the QUALITY that I want.

I'm sorry you felt the need to be so unkind.

Edited by Gathina

I know I am late to the party on this one but I also thought that post was verging on nastiness.

Anyway, I love Dior make up, when I was younger (20's) I used to buy up all the limited edition sets they used to sell in the duty free shops at the airport. Nowadays most of mine is Chanel and yes these brands are much better quality that the majority of "cheaper" brands, you just have to feel the pigment on their shadows and powders between your fingers to know.

I have a lovely set of Chanel brushes too btw;)

I know I am late to the party on this one but I also thought that post was verging on nastiness.

Anyway, I love Dior make up, when I was younger (20's) I used to buy up all the limited edition sets they used to sell in the duty free shops at the airport. Nowadays most of mine is Chanel and yes these brands are much better quality that the majority of "cheaper" brands, you just have to feel the pigment on their shadows and powders between your fingers to know.

I like my Bare Minerals brushes - I used to love them until I got a Clinique eyeshadow brush and saw and felt the difference. I love makeup brushes and have to force myself not to go higher and higher.

I love when people mention brands that they like and use and why. It educates me and may just give me something to look at next time I'm shopping. Of course, that shopping trip is a expedition as here in the California Desert, our biggest claim to fame is a new Macy's.

Others like to repeatedly "mention" their elite status with airlines and hotels, some like to brag about their high end cruise lines and disparage people sailing on "lesser" lines. I like to have quality personal care items (whether that quality is expensive or budget) because they are something I use every day, not just when away from home.

Under most circumstances I use drug store brands of cosmetics (Revlon, Cover Girl, Maybelline), but one time on a cruise, I chipped my toe nail polish and had to buy some polish to spiffy up my nails. All the ship had was Dior polish and it was $24.00 I was really frustrated but bought it anyway with no other choice . The price seemed like such a luxury.

Let me tell you it was the BEST polish I have ever had. It went on as smooth as velvet and it lasted longer and looked better than any other nail polish I have ever used.

Nothing wrong with a little luxury, especially if it worked so well! But I'm guessing maybe it cost more on the cruise?

I finally finished the shoe purge and now have exactly 10 pairs of shoes in 10 dollar- store shoe boxes-cleaned and polished them all. I stored all my winter hats/gear in a round vintage train case and all my makeup in another vintage train case (square). I also did the same with purses and have a hanging purse organizer with "sleeves".

It feels VERY good to have purged all this crap and have it neatly organized. I find that it frees up more time and is easier to take care of stuff and in the big picture spend less (like why did I think I needed 9 black dresses?)

Under most circumstances I use drug store brands of cosmetics (Revlon, Cover Girl, Maybelline), but one time on a cruise, I chipped my toe nail polish and had to buy some polish to spiffy up my nails. All the ship had was Dior polish and it was $24.00 I was really frustrated but bought it anyway with no other choice . The price seemed like such a luxury.

Let me tell you it was the BEST polish I have ever had. It went on as smooth as velvet and it lasted longer and looked better than any other nail polish I have ever used.

Edited by Gathina

Sorry they aren't yet as comfy as you hoped. I think what happens, after a day of walking/shopping/abusing one's feet, that once you get OUT of whatever shoes you are wearing, your feet feel better, and that halo effect can carry over to the new shoes you are trying on. Heaven knows, I've bought shoes the felt good when tried on at the end of the day, only to find them less comfortable once I own them.

I agree 100%--the same thing has happened to me several times. One notable exception was a pair of flip flops I bought due to needing the get out of a pair of heels after walking a few miles in them--not by choice. Those continued to be one of the most comfortable pair of footwear I ever owned, and was really ticked when they were stolen. Who steals a freaking pair of $10 flip flops?

I have a set of Lancôme brushes that were given to me over 25 years ago. A good set of brushes will last forever if properly cared for. I finally had to replace the kabuki brush I use for loose powder a few years back. You might spend $200 on a good set of brushes, but when they last you over 25 years and during that same time you may have replaced the inexpensive ones from the drug store 10 times, in the long run the high quality ones will cost less.

I use mostly Smashbox and Urban Decay, but keep going back to Lancôme for mascara. And they have the best eye makeup remover on the market IMHO.

Not directed towards you, but many of us with high status with airlines and hotels get it through business travel, which is far from glamorous or fun.

Okay ladies, I need to be congratulated. Gathina, I know you will understand this :D I walked away from a brand-new pair of Ferragamos yesterday at the thrift. $12. BRAND NEW. They just did not fit quite right. I knew they'd sit in my closet, unworn. I was very impressed with myself :D

I'm finding this a real learning experience, the downsizing and curating. It means a mental shift from thinking in terms of "scarcity" to thinking in terms of "sufficiency and abundance". If I no longer fear scarcity, I have no need to acquire without good reason.

Okay ladies, I need to be congratulated. Gathina, I know you will understand this :D I walked away from a brand-new pair of Ferragamos yesterday at the thrift. $12. BRAND NEW. They just did not fit quite right. I knew they'd sit in my closet, unworn. I was very impressed with myself :D

I'm finding this a real learning experience, the downsizing and curating. It means a mental shift from thinking in terms of "scarcity" to thinking in terms of "sufficiency and abundance". If I no longer fear scarcity, I have no need to acquire without good reason.

Great job!!!

Gasp.

I love the style of Ferregamos and they are so classy looking and good quality-but very narrow for my feet.

I like your word, "curating"..what a great way to look at it. I notice that in Europe most women have very small closets and a basic color pallet that they work with, and not an over abundance of stuff in their closets. Yet I also notice they are also very stylish in a simple way but with less-a simple coat with a beautiful scarf/pin, simple skirt with tights/boots, eye catching sweater,etc. I bet most of us have a closet full of stuff but where the same 5-6 outfits all the time.

Purge on ladies!

That's the whole deal-to downsize and focus on less but better quality.

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVE this thread! I just stumbled on it, and I cannot stop reading (lurking, if you don't mind) all the great ideas and tips.

I am a huge fan of de-cluttering, and I know from experience that it takes time, patience and perseverance, but the pay-off is great!

I have learned so much from reading this thread, I just want to say "thank-you" to all of you! I am so happy I have discovered this place, and all of you amazing, kind women!!

Jacy

Well, I cleaned out again:eek:....3 garbage bags full of clothing I haven't

worn in a long, long time......donated them to Goodwill. Hopefully some

other women can use them. Hope it is ok I posted this on here...can't

recall if the thread started out as cleaning out the closet or not;)

I just found this thread and it has been an inspiration. I am working on decluttering my home as well. We just had a garage sale yesterday and what didn't sell was loaded into my van and taken to thrift. I did keep some higher value items out as I can sell them on my local facebook buy/sell pages.

I have lost 60 pounds in the past year, still have about 40 to go, and did a major closet purge. It has left me with very few items to wear. I am slowly buying some transitional items to get me through, but once I get to my goal weight I plan to buy some higher quality items. My dad has always taught me to go for quality over quantity and I am passing that on to my daughter. One of my goal items is a cute Lilly Pulitzer dress. I can only wear higher end shoes since I have wide feet with bunions. I bought a darling pair of Ecco sandals that cost me $130 but they are leather and super comfy.

I am now getting close to getting the clutter out, but now need to start with organizing what I have left and also get real with myself and purge even more. ;)

I just found this thread and it has been an inspiration. I am working on decluttering my home as well. We just had a garage sale yesterday and what didn't sell was loaded into my van and taken to thrift. I did keep some higher value items out as I can sell them on my local facebook buy/sell pages.

I have lost 60 pounds in the past year, still have about 40 to go, and did a major closet purge. It has left me with very few items to wear. I am slowly buying some transitional items to get me through, but once I get to my goal weight I plan to buy some higher quality items. My dad has always taught me to go for quality over quantity and I am passing that on to my daughter. One of my goal items is a cute Lilly Pulitzer dress. I can only wear higher end shoes since I have wide feet with bunions. I bought a darling pair of Ecco sandals that cost me $130 but they are leather and super comfy.

I am now getting close to getting the clutter out, but now need to start with organizing what I have left and also get real with myself and purge even more. ;)

Congratulations on your weight loss!

I still haven't gotten around to cleaning out my closets. I've got to do this soon! Ugh! It's going to be a huge undertaking and I'm not up for it yet!:eek: