Concierge room. Is it worth it?

gwb2004

We just returned from a wonderful cruise (our first, ever!) on the Magic, and really enjoyed the concierge 1 br suite we had. I felt like we had our expectations raised by the Disney on-land concierge, though. When I asked about whether we should get water delivered to our room, I was told that water would be provided, and we would have access to the concierge lounge on board to get free drinks, snacks, and bottled water. When we boarded and asked our concierge about the lounge, we were told that on the Magic and Wonder, there is NO concierge lounge and no free bottled water. They gave us a free six pack of bottled water, and put in some canned sodas in the fridge, as compensation for the misinformation we had received. It was never replenished. We were told if we wanted additional bottled water, we would have to pay for it. So the benefits we got for paying more were the extra space, priority boarding, early reservations for a cabana on CC, free snacks delivered without ordering (but they would have been free if we were in a regular room and ordered them through room service), and a litho at the end of the trip. There were a couple of concierge parties (which we did not attend, since they were in conflict with other planned activities), and I am sure there were other things we could have done had we followed up with them. I was very disappointed that Disney couldn't give us coupons for free drinks or bottled water - even if there is no room for an actual room, they could have found a way to give us some of the benefits. We will be on the Magic again in June, but won't be going concierge this time. We will miss the extra space, but it's just not worth the money. On the Fantasy or the Dream? You bet!

I completely agree with you. We had the one bedroom on the Magic and I would never waste the money again for concierge level on the Magic or Wonder. We did know when we booked there was no concierge lounge but I didn't realize how much of an inconvenience that would be. I was shocked to find out that they charge you for any water of soda you take out of the refrigerator!!! Yes we got the 6 bottles of water and 6 sodas "compliments of the concierge staff" but those were gone by the end of day 2. From then on we had to go get water or soda up on deck and bring it back to the room. Also all the concierge suites are on deck 8. Right under the pool deck on deck 9! so you get to listen to running and the moving of deck chairs from dawn to dusk. Then at 5 am you get to listen to them cleaning the pool deck! Never again on this class of ship. We will only pay for concierge on the Dream or Fantasy in the future.

Edited by e2011

Also all the concierge suites are on deck 8. Right under the pool deck on deck 9! so you get to listen to running and the moving of deck chairs from dawn to dusk. Then at 5 am you get to listen to them cleaning the pool deck! Never again on this class of ship. We will only pay for concierge on the Dream or Fantasy in the future.

But DF claims that there is NO noise from the pool deck, at least none that ever bothered him.

Your experience mimics mine--pool noise from moving deck chairs.

But DF claims that there is NO noise from the pool deck' date=' at least none that ever bothered him.

Your experience mimics mine--pool noise from moving deck chairs.[/quote']

All of our "suite" cruises on DCL were on the Wonder and Magic. And YES, lots and lots and lots of noise.

But DF claims that there is NO noise from the pool deck' date=' at least none that ever bothered him.

All of our "suite" cruises on DCL were on the Wonder and Magic. And YES, lots and lots and lots of noise.

Yes circa seven concierge cruises, an No deck noise issues,.

PS light sleeper, not deaf, anything wakes me, - no deck noise, bar Pirate party night till 10.30 and you can understand that.

Sent from my iPad.

We just got off the Fantasy where we had a one bedroom concierge for four of us. It was amazing! We will only book concierge on future dream class ships. We have looked at the older ships though and without the concierge lounge, to us, concierge isn't as great of a deal...that lounge was fabulous!

On our sailing, with the stocked fridge, it was stocked when we got on the ship and the concierge staff told us to simply help ourselves to sodas, waters, and milks to re-stock the fridge whenever we wanted. Also, if you want extra water, just ask and you will get a 6 pack to take with you.

Regarding the alcohol...we pre-purchased a wine package which we ended up not needing and gave to friends. We had late dinner seating so we would go to the lounge for both happy hours where Christopher made the best drinks every night for us...we would have some on our balcony before dinner then take another drink with us to dinner.

The snacks in the lounge at each meal were the equivalent of a continental breakfast...enough of a meal for some, more of a starter for others. But the quality of the food was great. Much better than Cabanas which we ended up going to only once.

One difference between one bedroom and family verandah concierge is the room service menu...from our room, we could order dinner from the main dining rooms since we had the dining table. We took advantage of this a couple times and it was a nice treat.

Oh and at Port Canaveral, there is a separate glass enclosed waiting area for concierge guests...it has a back entrance to the gangway so it's very convenient.

Thanks for posting your thoughts and experience. Any other info on the room - which one did you have?

Thanks for posting your thoughts and experience. Any other info on the room - which one did you have?

Fantasy.

I had 12012 opposite an entrance to the concierge lounge and an extended verandah, photos in my link below.

Wonder.

Had 8030 details again below.

Sent from my iPad.

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

There is definitely pool noise from the midship suites on the classic ships. The new ships are very quiet with zero noise from above.

8032 on the Magic and 12512 on the Dream.

That has my experience as well. We have sailed in 8532 (one of midship Ts) a number of times and we have heard quite a bit of noise from the pool deck above. Lots of running and scraping of chairs.

Verandah-We originally booked 12524 but a few weeks before the cruise, 12006 became available so we grabbed it. We didn't really have a preference for port or starboard, but what we wanted was the bigger balcony. Most balconies on 12 are very shallow...because of the bumpout, some are much larger. Also, this cabin was nice and close to the lounge which we visited multiple times each day.

1-bedroom on bumpout are Port 12006, 12012; starboard 12506, 12512

family verandah on bumpout are Port: 12008, 12010; starboard 12508, 12510

All of these tend to go quickly, but if you want one, keep checking back and it might come up.

Privacy-We were 3 adults, myself, my husband, my mother, and our 11 year old and the 1 bedroom was ideal. Yes, we could have fit in the other, but there would have been MINIMAL privacy. With the two full bathrooms, no one was ever stuck waiting for a toilet or a shower and the tub is incredible... The bedroom part has dividers that slide into place to close it off entirely which was appreciated especially by my dh! In the other sleeping area, there is a curtain which can divide that area as well but we never used it. Oh and the Murphy bed had built in shelves and a light which my son loved to have control over!

Storage--there are three closets, one of which is a walk in with a light, two closets have some drawers, all have a couple of shelves. There is a lot of storage space in the big bathroom, drawers, shelves, and some in the smaller bathroom as well. In front of the sofa is a credenza with shelves and the fridge which can hold a lot. Around the dining table, there is so much space that you can easily store a suitcase, extra chair, or pile of junk without needing to move it to get around. There is a vanity in the bedroom with some shelves, side tables by the bed, and a desk in the other room. Also, the main bed is lifted high enough that you can store your suitcases under it.

Misc.-there are 2 tvs, TONS of lights allover, you get 2 lounge chairs, 2 chairs, and a table on the deck. Oh and one of my son's favorite features...it has a doorbell. :) (I think all concierge cabins do, but we never went to deck 11 to check...)

Let me know if you have any questions or would like to see some photos...it was just a wonderful cabin and we'd book it again in a heartbeat!

There is definitely pool noise from the midship suites on the classic ships. The new ships are very quiet with zero noise from above.

8032 on the Magic and 12512 on the Dream.

Thanks. Looked through your pictures when we booked and they are great.

Verandah-We originally booked 12524 but a few weeks before the cruise, 12006 became available so we grabbed it. We didn't really have a preference for port or starboard, but what we wanted was the bigger balcony. Most balconies on 12 are very shallow...because of the bumpout, some are much larger. Also, this cabin was nice and close to the lounge which we visited multiple times each day.

1-bedroom on bumpout are Port 12006, 12012; starboard 12506, 12512

family verandah on bumpout are Port: 12008, 12010; starboard 12508, 12510

All of these tend to go quickly, but if you want one, keep checking back and it might come up.

Privacy-We were 3 adults, myself, my husband, my mother, and our 11 year old and the 1 bedroom was ideal. Yes, we could have fit in the other, but there would have been MINIMAL privacy. With the two full bathrooms, no one was ever stuck waiting for a toilet or a shower and the tub is incredible... The bedroom part has dividers that slide into place to close it off entirely which was appreciated especially by my dh! In the other sleeping area, there is a curtain which can divide that area as well but we never used it. Oh and the Murphy bed had built in shelves and a light which my son loved to have control over!

Storage--there are three closets, one of which is a walk in with a light, two closets have some drawers, all have a couple of shelves. There is a lot of storage space in the big bathroom, drawers, shelves, and some in the smaller bathroom as well. In front of the sofa is a credenza with shelves and the fridge which can hold a lot. Around the dining table, there is so much space that you can easily store a suitcase, extra chair, or pile of junk without needing to move it to get around. There is a vanity in the bedroom with some shelves, side tables by the bed, and a desk in the other room. Also, the main bed is lifted high enough that you can store your suitcases under it.

Misc.-there are 2 tvs, TONS of lights allover, you get 2 lounge chairs, 2 chairs, and a table on the deck. Oh and one of my son's favorite features...it has a doorbell. :) (I think all concierge cabins do, but we never went to deck 11 to check...)

Let me know if you have any questions or would like to see some photos...it was just a wonderful cabin and we'd book it again in a heartbeat!

Thanks for the detailed info. We were originally in 12512 on Fantasy but I was lucky to grab 12000 a couple weeks ago.

We added our DD's friend so it will be 5 of us and our DS will like having the murphy bed as his own especially with the shelves and lights. Our biggest issue is the DD friend is going on her first cruise and she likes to pack a lot so we will have to limit that.

They say the master bed is a queen - is that a true queen or a little bigger?

If you have any pics with all the beds out that would be great - can you still navigate around when they are all out?

Thanks for the detailed info. We were originally in 12512 on Fantasy but I was lucky to grab 12000 a couple weeks ago.

We added our DD's friend so it will be 5 of us and our DS will like having the murphy bed as his own especially with the shelves and lights. Our biggest issue is the DD friend is going on her first cruise and she likes to pack a lot so we will have to limit that.

If you have any pics with all the beds out that would be great - can you still navigate around when they are all out?

I'm pretty sure it was a true queen.

Oh, shoot....I'm sorry....this is in the Royal. What a difference between this, and the ones on the Magic and Wonder. Disappoiinting.

Here's a picture with the beds out. The "double" seems small for two to share, unless they're pre-teen or younger.

It doesn't look like a really tight squeeze, but it's hard to tell without seeing the whole room in one shot.

bed_zps8c97fac9.jpg

Edited by MizDaisy

Just looking at the layout of the one bedroom suites, if the sofa is out, and the murphy bed is out, I don't see any way of moving about....getting to the verandah.....unless you very carefully slid sideways. Looks like a really tight squeeze.

It's far better than the plan looks.

Sent from my iPad.

I think it's accurate. I've seen a lot of pictures of the room, I just didn't find any with the sofa and murphy pulled out, which is what Dexddd was asking for.

It looks like (in actual pictures) you have room to walk behind the sofa, when it and the murphy are pulled out...so if you exit the master bedroom and walk between the dining table and the sofa, you can access that balcony door....but it's a squeeze from the main entry door through to the living area.

Looks like it would be pretty tight...... taking into consideration that there would be (in the case of Dexddd) two adults and three kids...with all beds open.

And actually, if you picture the sofa opened, like it would be by dinner time, there would be NO room to walk past there to the balcony. And then you have to imagine the murphy bed pulled out just before you reach the sitting area of the room....you'd barely make it past that to get to the 2nd balcony door, or the dining table.

abc_zps8ad81e11.jpg

def_zps454f1843.jpg

Edited by MizDaisy

It would be very tight. Our son slept on the Murphy, and was still asleep when room service delivered morning tea. They had to cut through the bedroom to get to the table. That was on the Dream. In the Magic there was plenty of room to lay out breakfast on the table even with the Murphy still out. That was one thing we really didn't care for at all on the new ships. I'd rather they did away with the soaking tub and offer more floor space in the cabin.

It would be very tight. Our son slept on the Murphy, and was still asleep when room service delivered morning tea. They had to cut through the bedroom to get to the table. That was on the Dream. In the Magic there was plenty of room to lay out breakfast on the table even with the Murphy still out. That was one thing we really didn't care for at all on the new ships. I'd rather they did away with the soaking tub and offer more floor space in the cabin.

I agree. We've been in 11002 on the Fantasy and 12012 on the Dream. It's very tight with the Murphy and sofa bed out. Midship Ts on the classics have a much better layout.

12000 should be a GREAT cabin! Enjoy it!

We have a queen at home and it felt about the same to us...now it could have been a bit larger, but definitely not smaller.

Below is a photo with the beds out...you can still get around and to both balcony doors.

The murphy bed has enough space between the end of it and the wall, so no problem getting in and out around it...perfect for early and late room service :)

The sofa bed has less space between the end of it and the cabinet/credenza, but you can still get to the balcony that way, just narrower. If this is an issue, you can always move the sofa back towards the dining room. We didn't need to do this, but you *can* as there is PLENTY of space around that table...my DH would store his camera bags (as large as suitcases) against the back of the sofa and we still had space in the dining room.

Obviously when the bedroom doors are open, there is plenty of room to go through there to the back balcony door. With the bedroom doors all closed, you can still get through that way though. We (ds and his friend and cousin) moved the furniture around a LOT at night for their little cabin parties...so the white padded bench that you see actually fits nicely on the right wall closer to the cabin door. (This is where our host always put it at night). We usually kept the armchair that is between the two beds on the left wall by the connecting room door that we never used.

So when bedroom doors are closed, you simply turn right at the sofa bed and can fit through to the dining room (and 2nd balcony door), even room service.

The worst part of the beds open is on the murphy bed. If you look closely at the bottom right of the bed, you will see a brown shape that looks like a cup handle shape...this stuck out a bit from the edge of the bed. At night when it's darker, my mom would think the red blanket is the edge of the bed but it isn't, so she hit that a couple times!

Even with 5 people, there is plenty of space...and I would try to get an extra dining chair to use while you are onboard...

1941686083_12006night.jpg.cc4adcad7398257ff1fce9f7c5e60893.jpg

I still think it's really sad, how much space they cut out of ALL the suites on the new ships, compared to the older ones.

If you've never sailed in a suite on the Magic or Wonder, you might believe these (on the new ships) are special, but they're truly disappointing. I wouldn't book one (in fact I didn't) after having only cruised in suites.

The only plus here is the nicer verandahs in the Royal suites. Even the concierge lounge isn't that special, after experiencing NCL's Haven.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

In my opinion, the best thing about the new ships is Remy.

We have said that should we sail DCL again, it would be in a midship 1BR on a classic ship. We loved that cabin (greatly preferred it to the Royal Suite on the Mariner!!) and I'm sure will have an opportunity to sail in it again.

12000 should be a GREAT cabin! Enjoy it!

We have a queen at home and it felt about the same to us...now it could have been a bit larger, but definitely not smaller.

Below is a photo with the beds out...you can still get around and to both balcony doors.

The murphy bed has enough space between the end of it and the wall, so no problem getting in and out around it...perfect for early and late room service :)

The sofa bed has less space between the end of it and the cabinet/credenza, but you can still get to the balcony that way, just narrower. If this is an issue, you can always move the sofa back towards the dining room. We didn't need to do this, but you *can* as there is PLENTY of space around that table...my DH would store his camera bags (as large as suitcases) against the back of the sofa and we still had space in the dining room.

Obviously when the bedroom doors are open, there is plenty of room to go through there to the back balcony door. With the bedroom doors all closed, you can still get through that way though. We (ds and his friend and cousin) moved the furniture around a LOT at night for their little cabin parties...so the white padded bench that you see actually fits nicely on the right wall closer to the cabin door. (This is where our host always put it at night). We usually kept the armchair that is between the two beds on the left wall by the connecting room door that we never used.

So when bedroom doors are closed, you simply turn right at the sofa bed and can fit through to the dining room (and 2nd balcony door), even room service.

The worst part of the beds open is on the murphy bed. If you look closely at the bottom right of the bed, you will see a brown shape that looks like a cup handle shape...this stuck out a bit from the edge of the bed. At night when it's darker, my mom would think the red blanket is the edge of the bed but it isn't, so she hit that a couple times!

Even with 5 people, there is plenty of space...and I would try to get an extra dining chair to use while you are onboard...

This one has a different layout than the other one bedrooms, because it's forward-facing.