Mastercard Reward

Butterbean1000

I just redeemed my Mastercard points. I got $200 OBC for our upcoming Freedom cruise. Happy girl.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Carnival Mastercard is a joke. Get the Barclaycard Arrival mastercard. The same amount of money you spent to get 20,000 points to redeem a $200.00 OBC would get you 400.00 OBC.

It's the same company who owns the Carnival Card. And you can use it on anything travel related. And when you sign up you get 40,000 bonus points worth 400.00

I did the same for our upcoming cruise. Love the credit, the Arrival card has a yearly fee of 89.00 which doesn't thrill me.

I agree. I don't pay annual fees for my credit cards. Especially when I don't even carry a balance on them.

I did the same for our upcoming cruise. Love the credit, the Arrival card has a yearly fee of 89.00 which doesn't thrill me.

I got an Arrival card a couple of months prior to booking my cruise. Got $400 for signing up (need to put $3000 on card in 90 days). Barclay ending up paying for $500 of my cruise. The annual fee was waved the first year. I will cancel the card before the renewal comes up.

I've already paid my cruise in full and it's a little difficult to see my redemption options without having a Barclay login.

If I get a card now and earn $400 in rewards, do I get that in shipboard credit OR as a credit on my credit card account? Are the gift card / merchandise options good?

I've already paid my cruise in full and it's a little difficult to see my redemption options without having a Barclay login.

If I get a card now and earn $400 in rewards, do I get that in shipboard credit OR as a credit on my credit card account? Are the gift card / merchandise options good?

You get points, the best value for the Barclay travel points is to exchange them for credit card charges that were spent on travel.

The sign up bonus is 40,000 points. The 40,000 points can be traded for $400 statement credit if you have a credit card charge that is travel related. They also have gift card and cash options, I think they are about half what the travel rewards are.

I did similar things with the Chase Sapphire card for cash bonus and Citi Bank American Airlines card for miles bonus.

You need a very good credit score to qualify for these offers. I would also always recommend paying off your entire card balance each month. The interest charges would negate the benefit.

http://www.barclaycardarrival.com/premium-travel/?campaignId=1729&od=bcarrival&cellNumber=24&REFERRERID=GGLPS0413NAT&adgroup=Barclays_Arrival_Card&pmt=b&pkw=%2Bbarclaycard+%2Barrival

Edited by bflohr
added link

I also cancel cards before the annual fee EXCEPT the Arrival card. It is the best card out there that I use as my everyday rewards card. When I am just going for the free money I will cancel but the Arrival pays for itself within two months for us. ESPECIALLY when using the Barclay travel blog site. I get a extra two to three thousand points a month by using that.

I'm about to pay for our onboard tips using points from the Carnival Barclay credit card. What I DON't LIKE about the card is that if you have a problem with a purchase, they will only help with a dispute if it was bought in your home state or within 100 miles of your address, and a few others stipulations.doesn't help me AT ALL with a recent online purchase, especially since I live in rural Montana where anything is at least 60 miles away.

Lesson learned, all online purchases will be made with American Express. They have great customer service.

I'm about to pay for our onboard tips using points from the Carnival Barclay credit card. What I DON't LIKE about the card is that if you have a problem with a purchase, they will only help with a dispute if it was bought in your home state or within 100 miles of your address, and a few others stipulations.doesn't help me AT ALL with a recent online purchase, especially since I live in rural Montana where anything is at least 60 miles away.

Lesson learned, all online purchases will be made with American Express. They have great customer service.

We got our AMEX through Costco. We don't have to pay an annual fee for the AMEX, we get 1-3% back on every single purchase, we pay it off monthly, you still get your Costco rewards check on top of your AMEX card, and it's amazing!

We have around $275 coming back from Costco so far from the last 11 months worth of purchases which will pay the $105 membership fee, plus give us around $170 back. Then since we out our bills on our AMEX monthly and pay if off every month before any interest hits the card, we make money back with the 1-3% on all purchase and so far we are almost at $800. We will get our payout check in February which will pay for our hardwood to go in 3 rooms at our house. We love it! :) highly recommend it for those that can pay off monthly and maintain their cards before any interest or fees hit. We love it and it's actual a great way to save up for things such as our home improvements!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have the Carnival Mastercard and what I've read in the last 2 days here on Cruise Critic is it seems the Barclays Arrival card is the better option. However, I am always leery about cards that come with annual fees and the $89 per year worries me.

I get the idea of canceling the card before the second year and the fee would kick in but canceling the card would hurt your credit rating. What are the chances of getting the fee waved?

Or are the rewards of the Arrival card that good that the fee outweighs its benefits?

I have the Carnival Mastercard and what I've read in the last 2 days here on Cruise Critic is it seems the Barclays Arrival card is the better option. However, I am always leery about cards that come with annual fees and the $89 per year worries me.

I get the idea of canceling the card before the second year and the fee would kick in but canceling the card would hurt your credit rating. What are the chances of getting the fee waved?

Or are the rewards of the Arrival card that good that the fee outweighs its benefits?

It all depends on how much you spend on your card. I put about 5,000.00 on it in about two months. So that right there gives you 100.00 worth of travel money. So anything after that is pure PROFIT. Plus you are not limited to where you can use the points like you are with the Carnival card. Anything travel related is acceptable.

PLUS and this is a HUGE PLUS once you redeem your points you get 10% of all the points you spend back. So your effectively getting a 2.1% cash back rate which no Card out on the market right now can come close to.

Store brand / Company Brand Credit cards are a MONUMENTAL mistake to use. Just because you use Carnival for all your vacations does not mean you should have a Carnival card. If you wanted to get a 100.00 OBC it costs you 12,500 points. That is less then a 1% cash back rate, THAT IS AWFUL!!! You have to save up 20,000 points just to get a measly 1%. At the same time it took you to get 20,000 points on the carnival card others using the Arrival have gotten 40,000 and received 400.00 CASH not OBC and then got a refund of 4,000 points to start saving towards their next travel expense.

I briefly looked at the information for the Carnival MasterCard and it's not great at all. We live in Canada so we can't get it anyway.

We started cruising in 2006 and to date, 5 of our 8 cruises have been FREE with the exception of us paying the taxes and fees for them. All deck 8 or above Balcony rooms. Yeah Air Miles (MasterCard).

Krunch

There is also the Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Ink, & Chase Plus cards that are about the same as the Barclays. The last 2 are "business" cards but you don't have to be a business. Sole proprietorship is fine.

With those you get either 40k or 50k points. Those points can be cashed for $100 = 10,000 points OR if you use points to purchase any travel (cruise) you get a 20% discount on the price. I've done it and it works nicely. Similar annual fee. I churn these & the barclays and no, it doesn't hurt your create as my FICO is 790-810 depending on what bureau you query.

If you want a card for everyday spend I'd choose the Barclays since it's 2 points everywhere.

If you want a card for the points value I would probably go with the Chase options because their points are more flexible.

I have been told that canceling a credit card can hurt your credit rating, but I can't believe it hurts much.When canceling a card the finance company has mentioned it. I cancel 2 to 3 cards a year and have an 814 fico.

It all depends on how much you spend on your card. I put about 5,000.00 on it in about two months. So that right there gives you 100.00 worth of travel money. So anything after that is pure PROFIT. Plus you are not limited to where you can use the points like you are with the Carnival card. Anything travel related is acceptable.

PLUS and this is a HUGE PLUS once you redeem your points you get 10% of all the points you spend back. So your effectively getting a 2.1% cash back rate which no Card out on the market right now can come close to.

Store brand / Company Brand Credit cards are a MONUMENTAL mistake to use. Just because you use Carnival for all your vacations does not mean you should have a Carnival card. If you wanted to get a 100.00 OBC it costs you 12,500 points. That is less then a 1% cash back rate, THAT IS AWFUL!!! You have to save up 20,000 points just to get a measly 1%. At the same time it took you to get 20,000 points on the carnival card others using the Arrival have gotten 40,000 and received 400.00 CASH not OBC and then got a refund of 4,000 points to start saving towards their next travel expense.

I have been told that canceling a credit card can hurt your credit rating, but I can't believe it hurts much.When canceling a card the finance company has mentioned it. I cancel 2 to 3 cards a year and have an 814 fico.

Thanks to you both. The information you provided helps to put things into perspective and has definitely helped. It can't hurt to give the card a try for a year and test out the point/reward system.

I just redeemed my Mastercard points. I got $200 OBC for our upcoming Freedom cruise. Happy girl.

Do you see your on board credit on your reservation on the Carnival website? Do you just wait and see the credit when you board the ship?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. I just applied/received the Arrival card. At present, the 40,000 mile (or $400) bonus takes only spending $1000 in 90 days. Since my cruise is just 60 days away that will not be a "problem" (trip to port/on board expenses/tips along with routine stuff in the meanwhile).

Thanks for the info. I just applied/received the Arrival card. At present, the 40,000 mile (or $400) bonus takes only spending $1000 in 90 days. Since my cruise is just 60 days away that will not be a "problem" (trip to port/on board expenses/tips along with routine stuff in the meanwhile).
It is only $200. I just received mine and charged the $1000 and it show $200. bonus not $400.

Do you see your on board credit on your reservation on the Carnival website? Do you just wait and see the credit when you board the ship?

Thanks.

I just redeemed $200 and it does not show. Edited by jjh9

It is only $200. I just received mine and charged the $1000 and it show $200. bonus not $400.

I'm wondering if you are looking at the Barclay's Carnival branded card or the Barclay's Arrival card. They don't offer the same rewards.

The offer I took was found here:

http://www.barclaycardarrival.com/premium-travel/?campaignId=1729&od=bcarrival&cellNumber=24

I am still waiting for my card to arrive, so obviously I have not seen all the paperwork that will accompany it.

I use Chase Rewards and turn my points for cash that I take for spending money on vacations. I just requested by check for $228 so I can have it in time for our March trip. I will then start saving up for our next vacation in August with the kids. Between this and our FSA reimbursement checks that I cash before a vacation we never have to pull money out of the bank for spending and usually bring home cash to put in the bank.