sampler cruises - are they worth doing?

I am a bit worried about the food now, with repeat posts saying they were disappointed. :(

I think the advantage of seeing the cafe' line is a real good reason for the inside with a window.:D

Yes, it's nice to be able to get an early morning coffee from the Promenade but I don't want people looking into my cabin so would be one of those that kept the curtains closed all the time - I'll stick with my little inside cabin as I know how I like to be up early and to bed late so don't need anything more for just 3 nights.

Mic you'll find the food fine! We even enjoyed the buffet in the Windjammer. Last cruise when we had My Time Dining (or anytime dining) we elected to get our dinner at the Windjammer on 3 separate nights. NO atmosphere but the meals were fine if we wanted to eat quickly before rushing off to another activity.

There's lots of options on board and after Voyager has her refit there'll be even more though lots of them will be the extra specialty restaurants which are good value if you're so inclined!

Gae

Yes, it's nice to be able to get an early morning coffee from the Promenade but I don't want people looking into my cabin so would be one of those that kept the curtains closed all the time - I'll stick with my little inside cabin as I know how I like to be up early and to bed late so don't need anything more for just 3 nights.

Mic you'll find the food fine! We even enjoyed the buffet in the Windjammer. Last cruise when we had My Time Dining (or anytime dining) we elected to get our dinner at the Windjammer on 3 separate nights. NO atmosphere but the meals were fine if we wanted to eat quickly before rushing off to another activity.

There's lots of options on board and after Voyager has her refit there'll be even more though lots of them will be the extra specialty restaurants which are good value if you're so inclined!

Gae

Great news, food is such a subjective thing, but when a few people all say the same thing it gets you worried. anyway, they have a year to get the food ready for me.:D

Great news, food is such a subjective thing, but when a few people all say the same thing it gets you worried. anyway, they have a year to get the food ready for me.:D

I would say don't be worried. There are always things that people don't like. You know the old adage - you can't please all of the people all of the time. I actually loved the food in the Windjammer. Maybe because you could pick & choose & get it exactly how you like it.

I was disappointed in the pancakes in the MDR. I thought that cos it was an American ship, they might make a reasonable pancake. Wrong! Not only that but when I ordered it with a fried egg over easy on top, the waiter raised his eyebrows like he'd never had anyone order that. But when it came it was a scoop of the most tasteless scrambled egg (which I didn't order)instead. I reckon it could've been those egg beater ones. Yuck. To say I was not happy was an understatement. This was coupled with my daughter ordering OJ that never came.

Edited by moonlight_path

I wonder sometimes what people have at home. A gourmet chef? If you don't like the dish, then get another. There is so much choice and not everyone likes everything on the menu. The turnover is so good that we found most things to be quite fresh and tasty. If you are in the windjammer and the tray is nearly empty, well seriously, it might not be piping hot. But …they will be there in a few minutes to top it up! We found we had different favorites on rhapsody, radiance and voyager, and we sure as heck didn't lose weight!

I wonder sometimes what people have at home. A gourmet chef? If you don't like the dish, then get another. There is so much choice and not everyone likes everything on the menu. The turnover is so good that we found most things to be quite fresh and tasty. If you are in the windjammer and the tray is nearly empty, well seriously, it might not be piping hot. But …they will be there in a few minutes to top it up! We found we had different favorites on rhapsody, radiance and voyager, and we sure as heck didn't lose weight!

I always gain weight (far too much weight) on cruises and need to work hard for months to get it all off again.:o

I always gain weight (far too much weight) on cruises and need to work hard for months to get it all off again.:o

Yep! It is a tough battle and we are not winning it! I try to not go for seconds, but it doesn't always work ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Also deck 9, I am not familiar with the ship but it appears to be Starboard Aft near (but not in) an inside passageway.:D

I will need to see if there is a roll call, have never cruised RCI before but wanted to check out the ship and only need one day off work.:D

I've changed my booking to a Promenade cabin. I've wondered what they were like so figure if I don't enjoy them, at least there's only 3 nights to cope with it!

The price is a little more but, heck, after I make the payment, I forget about the price and start getting excited about the cruise! It's worth it TO ME to pay a little more to obtain the cabin in a position that I prefer.

I used to worry about the price and hating hearing how others had booked for SO MUCH LESS than me but now I know that it's mid-ship, near the elevators that I like to be so that's where I book each time, paying a little more perhaps but being happy & content with my choice never-the-less!

I've been chatting to some work-mates and they were interested as well so who knows, we might just fill this cruise up with family & friends!

Gae

Edited by gaechann