Taking your own snorkel gear to the Caribbean?

Is this recommended or a silly idea?

Doing a 7 day cruise around the islands & I envision ourselves having a lot of beach time -

We are also spending a couple of weeks in Puerto Rico (& Culebra) - just trying to figure out the logistics of whether it would be worth buying & taking our own gear or hiring them at each location.

Thoughts?

Doing a 7 day cruise around the islands & I envision ourselves having a lot of beach time -

We are also spending a couple of weeks in Puerto Rico (& Culebra) - just trying to figure out the logistics of whether it would be worth buying & taking our own gear or hiring them at each location.

Thoughts?

How much will cost carry them both ways to Australia?

DH and I bought our own after our first experience with defective snorkeling equipment. It fits inside our checked luggage. We take it on every trip we take where we might snorkel. We are bringing them to Australia in April as we are snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef, then cruising from Sydney to Hawaii, around the Hawaiian Islands and on to Vancouver. We expect to get a lot of use out of them on this trip.

You never have to worry about them being properly cleaned before you use them (or if you do....) and you know they will fit correctly.

We bought our set at a dive shop for about $100 CAD.

We used them in the Caribbean last month and loved it!

My DH takes his own. I think it is more about the convenience of your own stuff that works and fits than the cost, although it would add up hiring. So I would say if you are thinking about it, do it. There is not a lot of weight involved.

I agree, & if u own good gear, u will loathe using cheap hired ****e :mad: the mouthpieces are as hard as h@ll, hurt your gums & jaw + your mask leaks & cuts your face (not causing blood ;) just digs in...) fins are rubbish etc.

I reckon if u are keen enough to buy a set of gear, then u are keen enough to appreciate / notice the difference, so take them and enjoy the experience! :)

• 2 weeks later...

we take 2 sets of snorkle gear plus other stuff as DH dives, just buy a duffle bag on wheels and it seems to fit in a lot better (especially the larger fins) than in a regular suitcase.

I just wrap the mask still in its case with socks etc and they travel well.

we have done this every year flying syd- orlando, never had an issue.

and who wants to ruin a great snorkle day with crappy rental gear!

DW needs her glasses so I bought her a prescription mask so she can dive and snorkel without them. We do a lot of water based activities on cruises so for use taking our own is the way to go. Mask and snorkel in the carry on and fins in the checked.

Thoughts?

It is a very good idea to carry your own snorkel gear -- it is clean to your standard, it is with you and you know where it is (shops sometimes blocks away), it CAN be your own eye RX or very close, it fits your face! (this can be really important especially if you have youngsters with narrow faces).

We carry face mask in carry on as one mask shattered on a transpacific flight (or an elephant sat on it in cargo!:eek:). I also have a rash guard shirt and I love the floatation vest -- more restful to look if you float better. We found in the Caribbean that ask staff or crew where to snorkel. Take a bus or a taxi -- very cheap day and better than crowded ship tour. That all said I rarely if ever snorkel in Caribbean. -- my favorite snorkel areas are Great Barrier Reef in Australia, Fiji, Tahiti, Zanzibar, and Hawaii. Alas I have become a snorkeling snob.:o Just not as much to see in the Caribbean IMHO. But if you are there snorkel! Some days you get really lucky and it is great to have your own gear. {and let me add that I have had my gear over 10 years so that quality equipment from a dive shop has really averaged out to be cheaper than rental}

Edited by Bowie MeMe

DH and I bought our own after our first experience with defective snorkeling equipment. It fits inside our checked luggage. We take it on every trip we take where we might snorkel. We are bringing them to Australia in April as we are snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef, then cruising from Sydney to Hawaii, around the Hawaiian Islands and on to Vancouver. We expect to get a lot of use out of them on this trip.

You never have to worry about them being properly cleaned before you use them (or if you do....) and you know they will fit correctly.

We bought our set at a dive shop for about $100 CAD.

We used them in the Caribbean last month and loved it!

Sassy you said you were going to snorkel on the Great Barrier Reef. Good for you -- this is just one of the most fantastic things we ever did!! We did go with CoralPrincesssCruises from Cairns Australia. Small ship 4 day excursion to the outer part of the GBR. The ship has special gear that allows you to swim right up on the deck entrance -- easy entrance in mid ocean. Marine Biologist to explain and guide in looking at the fantastic world. Easy way to find the right group is to google "oceanic discoverer" (the ship we are taking to explore NZ in 10 days) and you don't get bombarded with "BIG princess" sites. This still ranks as one of the best trips ever -- until the next one I book and go on. Happy travels.

Oh I recommend a flotation vest for snorkeling on GBR. The rocking of the wave action needs to be smoothed out or tummy feels queasy! Also a safety thing as you can be seen in the neon better than in a bathing suit.

How much will cost carry them both ways to Australia?

Mask in Tupperware like case it came in in carry on. Flotation vest, flat in suitcase, snorkel in the handle groove. Usually don't take the fins but maybe short ones just in the suitcase. Not much of a cost in space/weight or investment. Makes a big difference in pleasure and quality of snorkeling. You snorkel more if you have own equipment because not a hassle. Rental equipment on the boats have different mouth on the snorkel every hour:eek:

Thoughts?

Cruised Hawaii and Caribbean in 2012 and had our own snorkel gear, just packed them in our checked luggage - flew international to Hawaii and then domestic legs thru USA with them. Would rather my own as others have said the hired stuff can be rubbish and has been in countless other people's mouths!

If you can fit it in your luggage, take your own, we used equipment supplied by tour operators and they are not in very good condition. I also watched them, after we had finished with them, they were washed in the ocean and thrown back in the hull of the catamaran where they came from. Albeit we didn't get sick but just sayin.

Loved the caribbean especially the Bahamas, St Thomas and St Maarten. Don't care much for Jamaica and Mexico (Cozumel) and if you are cruising on Oasis or Allure, Labadee (Royal Caribbean's private beach) isn't anywhere near as nice as our beaches. I'm not complaining - just saying. Loved Oasis of the Seas the ship.....