Sneaking alcohol on board cruise ships!

Lol good luck! And if you get caught, will you buy drinks or not drink at all?

i dont know why you're so offended?

the flasks are invisible to xray, the only thing you can see is the cap and it looks just like the cap on toothpaste or facial cleaner. so you bring a few checkin bags, and mix up your toiletries and you're good. they have thousands and thousands of bags, theyre looking for the obvious bottle, not a little cap that could be 1 million things.

and i still buy drinks on the ship, i just buy a lot less. the last cruise we had 8 people and within 5 days drank 5 handles of vodka. this cruise im gonna relax and just enjoy it.

I have no problem with people sneaking alcohol onto ships. I don't cruise much and the no alcohol policy is one reason. It's the only vacation in which you are not allowed to take your own spirits. If you stay in a resort hotel, you can purchase drinks in their bars and dining rooms and also have your own in your room. You're pretty much captive while on the ship. I like Celebrity's drink packages. We recently went on a celebrity cruise. Without the package, we would not have considered it.

Lol thanks !

I just think people are being cheap. That's the bottom line.

You're allowed to have that opinion. It DOES represent a cost savings, so while someone may be offended being called "cheap" there's no denying the end result is the same; it saves some money.

But I really believe people do it for other reasons that just money. If it were only money I don't believe they'd pay $60 for a $20 bottle. But I believe they would because of the convenience having "en suite" liquor would mean.

I also think some people just get a thrill/fun out of breaking a rule that isn't going to harm someone else.

Some people do it out of "necessity" because they have to have their brand.

I'm sure the list of reasons, valid or not who can say, goes on and on.

As far as picking on the poster who said they enjoy cocktails on their balcony, you asked so they could afford a balcony but not an alcohol package, which I would ostensibly assume you meant for two? Big difference between sneaking on the contents of a $10-50 bottle of liquor vs paying nearly $800 for 2 people for a week to enjoy that same balcony cocktail. Okay, so they don't need the package, why not just order a la carte? Convenience. RCI should just sell them a bottle at 3X markup and deliver it to the room; everyone is happy in that scenario, no?

If they do the bottle service then you're going to have cheap people that say " why pay x amount of dollars for liquor when I can get liquor at home and bring it on the ship for a cheaper price". You can't please cheap people.

Some will still do that, yes. Some will pay for the convenience. RCI is leaving $$$ on the table here. I deal with cheap people all the time. Cheap people can be pleased. They just do not want to part with money. That's a difference. And it's not something to look down on someone for.

So you can afford to pay for a balcony, but buying a drink package is out of the question?

When I am in my room with my wife, I am not going to run down and get a drink from the bar and bring it back, and I am sure not going to wait for room service to bring us our drinks. The drink package is of no use to us if we are having a drink on our balcony.

From a revenue perspective, all guests represent potential spending of XYZ. If you disallow boarding of a guest the cruiseline is shooting itself in the foot by not having the potential to get your on board spending.

Another item that is prohibited is a hot plate iron. Why? The cruise line may say "safety" and with a very straight face, but let's not forget that they do offer pay for ironing services so while bringing on alcohol may be a detriment to the bottom line, a stronger argument may be made that bringing on an iron is both a safety hazard and could be a detriment to the bottom line. I don't recall anyone booted for having an iron, do you?

I have no problem with the cruiseline confiscating anything that they consider to be contraband or disallowed. But if I had an iron in my luggage I would not reasonably expect to forfeit my vacation and all monies if "caught", nor would I expect the cruise line to destroy my perfectly legal to own iron. Confiscate and return later, yes. Same with alcohol. It is a legal substance for adults to purchase and possess. It is against cruiseline policy to bring your own hard liquor, it is not illegal.

Believe me; if people started being denied boarding and made to forfeit all their money over pocketknives, irons, a flask of booze, etc. you'd be hearing about nasty lawsuits and a whole lot of negative PR, cruise contract or not.

I'm sure the cruiseline has figured out more or less what smuggling costs them in revenue, and figure that the small amount that likely gets by is more than offset by selling other services to the guests while onboard. Enforcing rules in a draconian way would have people turning away and being quite vocal. There are other policies far less difficult to police and RCI let's it slide; dress code anyone? Should they ban people from returning to cruise as well? Should they enforce copyright laws against people that come to CC and YouTube to show photos and videos of onboard entertainment? Just saying, those, to me, would be just as absurd as denying boarding to people who happen to possess a legal to own item during embarkation. If it is considered contraband, take it, tag it, return it later. Just like they currently do.

As far as my opinion on smuggling; I'm not particularly bothered or offended. What someone else does has no bearing on my actions; I will order and drink what I want, when I want, where I want and never think "This should have been 25 cents less if there weren't all those damn smugglers". If someone wants to schlep booze around, risk having it spill on their clothes, etc. and sees there is a benefit that outweighs the risk, well go right ahead.

I honestly believe that if the cruiseline woud charge $60 for a $20 bottle of booze and deliver it to the staterooms of guests, that many people would see the value in spending the additional $40 and "not dealing with it." How many times do you see that asked as a question or suggested as a service? Many times.

I frankly don't understand why RCI isn't monetizing onboard stateroom bottle sale service; that's the sort of thing that DIRECTLY counteracts smugglers, as many smugglers will say they do it to have convenient access to alcohol for a little nite cap or a "getting ready" before dinner drink in the room. Maybe RCI wouldn't have to put more time, money, and effort into "policing" and policy enforcement if they evolved other policies that let customers have what they want and the cruiseline get money?

Excellent Post!

Some will still do that, yes. Some will pay for the convenience. RCI is leaving $$$ on the table here. I deal with cheap people all the time. Cheap people can be pleased. They just do not want to part with money. That's a difference. And it's not something to look down on someone for.

i dont think people should be called out for being cheap when they sneak liquor on the ship. if carnival changed the drink policy to $50/d i would absolutely consider it. but a policy that doubles the price of my vacation is ridiculous and thats currently what it is. 50 a day plus 15% tip included automatically and a limit of 15 drinks, over every day of the cruise.

my cruise is 7 days as i said, thats $350 just liquor, cmon.

spending $40 on 2 1.75l of smirnoff vodka rather than $350 and only drink a few days on the cruise seems smarter and personally, i think anyone who drinks should grab a couple rum rummer flasks, i bought 10 for $14. gave some to my parents who btw just used them on RCI and it worked like a charm, as expected.

i dont think people should be called out for being cheap when they sneak liquor on the ship. if carnival changed the drink policy to $50/d i would absolutely consider it. but a policy that doubles the price of my vacation is ridiculous and thats currently what it is. 50 a day plus 15% tip included automatically and a limit of 15 drinks, over every day of the cruise.

I agree with you; people should not be looked down upon for trying to be frugal. The drink packages add a lot of money to the cost of the vacation. I don't order the alcohol package because I don't drink that much, it's not enough value for me. Not even close.

I have suggested not only stateroom delivered bottle service, but also a reduced drink package that would offer 5-6 cocktails per day somewhere in the $25-30 range. Even that would be a lot of alcohol for me, but I may be swayed by the lower cost to purchase such a package. $50+ per day and 15 drinks per day, no way. I couldn't handle it.

I'd really rather RCI just sold me a bottle of my favorite choice and like others I'd like to enjoy a cocktail in my room. I don't mind if they make a little money off me for the pleasure, but there's not enough value for me to go buy a $350++ package.

I agree with you; people should not be looked down upon for trying to be frugal. The drink packages add a lot of money to the cost of the vacation. I don't order the alcohol package because I don't drink that much, it's not enough value for me. Not even close.

I have suggested not only stateroom delivered bottle service, but also a reduced drink package that would offer 5-6 cocktails per day somewhere in the $25-30 range. Even that would be a lot of alcohol for me, but I may be swayed by the lower cost to purchase such a package. $50+ per day and 15 drinks per day, no way. I couldn't handle it.

I'd really rather RCI just sold me a bottle of my favorite choice and like others I'd like to enjoy a cocktail in my room. I don't mind if they make a little money off me for the pleasure, but there's not enough value for me to go buy a $350++ package.

exactly.

see, i could handle the 15 drinks for $50 (especially how they pour on the ship;);););)) but having to pay for it throughout the cruise is where it gets stupid for me.

they could handle it differently IMO but we're both right here.

spending $40 on 2 1.75l of smirnoff vodka rather than $350 and only drink a few days on the cruise seems smarter and personally, i think anyone who drinks should grab a couple rum rummer flasks, i bought 10 for $14. gave some to my parents who btw just used them on RCI and it worked like a charm, as expected.

Then go on a cruise with fewer days. It's being cheap

You're allowed to have that opinion. It DOES represent a cost savings, so while someone may be offended being called "cheap" there's no denying the end result is the same; it saves some money.

But I really believe people do it for other reasons that just money. If it were only money I don't believe they'd pay $60 for a $20 bottle. But I believe they would because of the convenience having "en suite" liquor would mean.

I also think some people just get a thrill/fun out of breaking a rule that isn't going to harm someone else.

Some people do it out of "necessity" because they have to have their brand.

I'm sure the list of reasons, valid or not who can say, goes on and on.

As far as picking on the poster who said they enjoy cocktails on their balcony, you asked so they could afford a balcony but not an alcohol package, which I would ostensibly assume you meant for two? Big difference between sneaking on the contents of a $10-50 bottle of liquor vs paying nearly $800 for 2 people for a week to enjoy that same balcony cocktail. Okay, so they don't need the package, why not just order a la carte? Convenience. RCI should just sell them a bottle at 3X markup and deliver it to the room; everyone is happy in that scenario, no?

The same people that think it is a rule the "isnt going to harm anyone else" and the same ignorant people that think ripping of the big insurance companies doesnt harm anyone. Or cheating on their taxes doesnt harm anyone. Who do these ignorant people think end up paying for their actions? You just cant fix stupid.

Yea there's no way around it, it's being cheap no matter how they try to justify it. One person can afford a balcony, but doesn't want to walk to one of the numerous bars on the ship just to get a drink. Lol incredible

More like being smart!

15 drinks a day to get to $50??? Not even close.

My statement in regards to not hurting anyone means someone could leave an iron on, potentially resulting in a fire = immediate danger / harm. Someone bringing liquor may or may not (though more likely than not, does) lead to higher liquor prices down the road. Not the same sort of harm.

My statement in regards to not hurting anyone means someone could leave an iron on, potentially resulting in a fire = immediate danger / harm. Someone bringing liquor may or may not (though more likely than not, does) lead to higher liquor prices down the road. Not the same sort of harm.

I'm sure it does lead to higher prices.

One person can afford a balcony, but doesn't want to walk to one of the numerous bars on the ship just to get a drink. Lol incredible

That's what I call being honest. They explained it was for convenience, not for being "cheap". You stated in your original post that you thought it was cheap / sad and then asked for peoples opinions. People are being honest with you that they do it and are giving you their opinions and you then say it doesn't matter, they are just cheap. If you're going to flame people for participating in an honest way don't count on them participating.

I bring my own shampoo/conditioner/body wash because I like what I like. So should I demand a partial refund from the cruiseline? How about I'm cool with Mr. Balcony drinker having a nite cap instead?

That's what I call being honest. They explained it was for convenience, not for being "cheap". You stated in your original post that you thought it was cheap / sad and then asked for peoples opinions. People are being honest with you that they do it and are giving you their opinions and you then say it doesn't matter, they are just cheap. If you're going to flame people for participating in an honest way don't count on them participating.

I bring my own shampoo/conditioner/body wash because I like what I like. So should I demand a partial refund from the cruiseline? How about I'm cool with Mr. Balcony drinker having a nite cap instead?

There's no rule against bringing shampoo. Honesty is cool, but I'm giving my honest opinion too. It's cheap no matter what you say. Balconies aren't cheap either. It's a lame excuse to say I want to drink on my balcony that's why I bring alcohol. So for dinner do you bring your flask in a paper bag to the MDR?

15 drinks a day to get to $50??? Not even close.

That posted was referencing the Carnival package which is $50 per day, must be purchased for all days, and must be purchased by everyone in the room. Carnivals package is limited at 15 drinks per day.

A la carte is still best for me given the amount I drink (or should say, don't drink). Now I will have access to RCI's Diamond lounges, and my next cruises has a specialty dinner with wine pairing booked. Factor in the two bottles I can bring on board and the odd additional cocktail here or there isn't going to add any significant cost to my vacation. I don't drink during the day though. 15 drinks per day would kill me after 1 day

I'm also cool with Mr Balcony drinker. He should buy his drink at a bar (cant go 10 ft without tripping over one) like the rest of us and not be a cheapskate.

Edited by bchalker

We snuck on an extra bottle of water once.

Had our allotted 12 bottles per person and grabbed one more as to drink while waiting outside. But when we arrived they had already called our boarding number so we hopped in line, extra bottle and all.

I'm such a rebel :D

We snuck on an extra bottle of water once.

Had our allotted 12 bottles per person and grabbed one more as to drink while waiting outside. But when we arrived they had already called our boarding number so we hopped in line, extra bottle and all.

I'm such a rebel :D

Most of my Post #7 above was about RCI having rules, and then having no meaningful enforcement. You were a smuggler (I recognize that your statement was merely making a point, but I'm continuing with your theme) from the very first bottle of water, not the thirteenth (and yes, I have carried a bottle of water on-board [not 13, but that is just a matter of degree, and the fact that I didn't want to lug the water around]).

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests may bring personal wine and champagne onboard only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom.

Do I think that a business (sports arena, movie theatre, ship) has the right to forbid me to bring in water and thereby increase their sales? Yes they have that right, but I also can consider that rule when deciding whether to patronize their facility. In my post above I intentionally did not take a position of whether RCI should or should not allow you to bring liquor on-board. I'll go out on a limb and say that I think RCI should allow water to be brought on-board.:eek:

RCI should get rid of rules they don't meaningfully enforce - otherwise the rules turn into a joke that are flaunted by non-rule followers, and agitate the rule followers.