Tapas (actually, HIJACKED by Tapas)

bam1958

I made a reservation with Steve from Tropicante in late August.

We followed his directions to get out of the port area and hired a cab to take us to the Tropicante

Once we were out of the cab we were approached by a guy and he asked where we were going. I told him we were going to the Tropicante, and yes I did have a reservation. He told he was from the Tropicate and he would take us there. However, he lied. He actually took us to Tapas...a few doors down from Tropicante. This is despite the fact that I told the guy repeatedly that we had reservations at Tropicante.

Something wasn't quite right-just had that feeling. We suspected we were at the wrong place but they insisted...we were at Tropicante. I asked several times to speak with Steve. He told me Steve was there and would be right out. I asked to see Steve and again they assured me he would be right out.

From my vantage point I could not see the Tropicante sign and despite their reassurances we remained suspicious. So I took a little walk.

Well don't you know, I found the Tropicante-and Steve.

So we packed up our stuff and moved down to the Tropicante.

Oh, and after Tapa's had given us our "free" welcome margarita's (that were horrible btw and about 2 oz) they wanted me to pay for them. REALLY? Of course I refused to pay.

I told the guy at Tapa's he was a liar.

Tapas needs to learn to play fair and not lie. Things you learn in kindergarten.

And by the way...Steve is a great host. We loved our day at the Tropicante. The drinks were most excellent (and much larger than 2 oz bathroom cups), the food was delicious and our waiters were fabulous. Will definitely go back the next time we are in Costa Maya.

Thanks for the heads up. We have reservations with Steve for May and will be wary of anyone approaching saying they are from tropicante and will take us there.

I had heard that cab drivers would also try to tell you place was out of business or that Steve had died too. Sad when people are so desperate that they lie.

This is a common occurance. Taxi driver stopping away from your beach club, the bus from port stops at the first clubs along the malecon, etc. and you have to literally fight your way to your "appointed" beach through a horde of lounge vultures hawking their club's loungers, claiming to be who they are not. If you don't have a reservation anywhere and there are 3 ships in, this may not be a real issue as you'll get a lounger and service of somekind. With reservations, however, it's annoying and confusing, especially for first timers to the malecon.

I am surprised about TAPAS though, I can remember when it was primarily a restaurant and the nearest loungers were at Pez Quadro.

We were in Costa Maya last week. We took the cab service from inside the port area which stops along the Malecon. We were told to get off at the second stop. The driver didn't really stop just announced it was coming up, and moved on to the third stop. I had to speak up and tell him " I told you when I got in your cab where I wanted to go and you drove right by it" He backed up to let us out.;)

We were in Costa Maya last week. We took the cab service from inside the port area which stops along the Malecon. We were told to get off at the second stop. The driver didn't really stop just announced it was coming up, and moved on to the third stop. I had to speak up and tell him " I told you when I got in your cab where I wanted to go and you drove right by it" He backed up to let us out.;)

Do all cab drivers announce stops?

Hey Blue Water,

Can I ask a favor? If you remember, can you ask Steve where Fernando's re-opened spot on the beach is? And ask if he (Fernando) is still distilling his own tequila and willing to sell you some (need you own small water bottle). If the answer is yes, and if you get a chance to wander past his place, let me know when you get back. And if you meet Fernando, tell him "Crewsweeper" says hello. I think he has installed his large plastic tequila bottle from his old street place out front and still calling the new spot 100% Agave. Thanks in advance. And if you forget (easy to do, LOL) that's okay too.

Crew

Hey Blue Water,

Can I ask a favor? If you remember, can you ask Steve where Fernando's re-opened spot on the beach is? And ask if he (Fernando) is still distilling his own tequila and willing to sell you some (need you own small water bottle). If the answer is yes, and if you get a chance to wander past his place, let me know when you get back. And if you meet Fernando, tell him "Crewsweeper" says hello. I think he has installed his large plastic tequila bottle from his old street place out front and still calling the new spot 100% Agave. Thanks in advance. And if you forget (easy to do, LOL) that's okay too.

Crew

Yes, no problem. I wanted to check that out anyway, I'm sure I read something about him on an earlier post of yours while researching CM.

Thanks for all of your help on these boards!

Edited by blue_water