Port Authority (or NY Penn) to Bayonne

SnowshoeCat

Okay, I just got a crazy idea. Leaving from Bayonne on a Saturday, I was going to drive down the day before, stay at a hotel along the way, then park at the pier. It turns out there's an overnight Greyhound bus that gets to Port Authority first thing in the morning (there's one that arrives at 11 am, but that's kind of late). So I thought I could save the hotel, gas, and parking and take the bus! But then what?

I pack light and can easily walk down to Penn Station, or there's a connecting bus from PA to Newark (I have no idea where the bus stop is), or... what else? NJ Transit to someplace, or Path/light rail/taxi?

Returning home I would go back to NY Penn and take Amtrak.

I hate to post and run, but I have to leave for work. I just wanted to throw this idea out there. Thanks!

Your best bet is to take PATH from 33rd St. in NYC (Herald Square), Hudson/Bergen Light Rail, and then a taxi from the 34th St. Light Rail Station in Bayonne to the cruise terminal.

Neither NJ transit trains from NY Penn Station nor buses from Port Authority Bus Terminal take you anywhere near Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal. They're best for traveling to Newark or EWR .

There is also a bus from Port Authority that will take you to 34th St and Kennedy Blvd in Bayonne where you would have to call for a cab to the Port. I've never done this, so I can't comment, but it is an option. If you're interested. I will look up the bus # and schedule. I think they would run hourly on a Saturday Morning.

My personal preference would be Path/light rail. The handicapped entrance to

Path is next to JC Penney at Herald Square.

Path to Bayonne

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1838036

description

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1753679

JCPenneys

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1855207&highlight=penneys

On a Sat there is only one Path route operating from 33rd St that goes to both Hoboken and Journal Square. You would take any train to Hoboken. When you come out of the station, the light rail is to the far left of the train tracks. You buy a ticket for $2.10, validate it in the machine, and get on a Bayonne train.

For your return, you would go to the taxi dispatcher and try to get a shared shuttle to Newark Penn Station for $16. Take a NJ Transit Train to New York Penn Station for $5. If there are no shared shuttles to Newark Penn Station, then take a shared shuttle to Newark Airport and get dropped off at P4 where you take Airtrain to the Newark Airport station and NJTransit to New York Penn Station for $12.50.

I am sailing next week and am going to explore some of these wonderful routes once again. I am staying overnight at the Ramada Plaza (checking on our budget hotel recommendation), taking the hotel shuttle to P4 (have never explored P4), NJTransit to Newark Penn Station (have never boarded the train at the airport), Path to Exchange Place (been there with luggage before), light rail to Bayonne, and cab into the port. I will be posting about my experience after I return on Jan 31.

There is no direct bus from Port Authority to Bayonne other than during weekday rush hours. The OP is traveling on a Saturday morning, so the trip would require changing buses.

There used to be service (by Coach USA I believe), but it was discontinued more than 2 years ago,

That's really good info njhorseman! Thank you. I can understand that there is no direct bus service on the weekends to Bayonne from Manhattan, particularly when Path and light rail offer the same service at a more reasonable price on direct rights of way. No traffic problems in the tunnel or on the local streets.

Hi - thank you both for the information. I think I just might drive. By the time I get back to Manhattan after the cruise, I could be halfway home.

Carol, I hope you have all those directions typed out so you can somehow just paste it into a post. I know you've supplied that information many times (and thank you!). Have fun exploring the new options!

I see from your location that you are in Central NY. Have you checked with the local tour bus companies to see if they have buses to the cruise terminals? I took a cruise from the Manhattan terminal, last year, and I used Yankee Trails in the Albany area. We parked in their lot, they took 3 buses of cruise passengers for various ships, stopping at the NJ terminal first, then the Manhattan terminal. They drop you and your luggage off at the terminal and then pick you up on your return trip. We didn't even have to handle the luggage. The porters came right over to the buses. I would definitely do that again if I cruise our of NYC / NJ.

I know other east cost cities have similar services. I'd check around with the bus companies in your area... or Albany may not be too far for you. Good luck.

I took Yankee Trails a couple of years ago when I cruised from the Manhattan port. (funny how two ports so close together geographically can be worlds apart logistically). They were great, no problems, and I have been considering them for this trip. Going down would be no problem, but once I'm off the ship, I'm anxious to get home. By the time we loaded the bus, then drove to Albany (when I would have another 2 hour's drive), I could conceivably be home.

I know other people from this area have detoured to Albany to take Yankee Trails, making me think there's nothing similar locally.

Edited by SnowshoeCat