BZ vs. Cave-tubing.com (aka Butts up)

vertad

Great post and thank you for the info.

Looks like we will book with BZ but, now we are talking about zip line and the tubing? Has anyone done both and if so will it cut your tubing to short. We do not want to miss the ship. Thanks Randy

Just so you know, when we were there last, .bz was building their own ziplining at their property (which is right there down the road from the cavetubing and where they take you to eat lunch). So if you book with them, then you will go to their property to zip line versus where others might go (which I hear is located somewhere at the property beside the caves). Either way, it's not like a long drive. You have to go that way to get out of the caves and back to the main road and you will stop by Vitalinos house for lunch anyhow. I believe I heard that it's about maybe 6 or 7 platforms to zip on, so it shouldn't take too long to do. They have always had us back long before it was time to board the ship so I would think you would have plenty of time. Hopefully someone will chime in that has done both. I do remember reading several reviews of people doing it and they enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...

We are just back from Magic in May 2014. Belize was definitely an experience of a lifetime!

The whole tendering process had me a little intimidated at first. I'd never done it before, so I didn't know what to expect, but it was simple. The daily paper explained exactly what to do. When I was up and ready to go in the morning I went to the future cruises desk and obtained tickets for the tender. We then waited in the coffee shop area of deck 5 until our number was called. It wasn't a long wait at all, and soon we were onboard the tender boat. It was a quick, easy boat ride to the port of Belize. The two boatmen kept us entertained and even let my kids "drive" the boat for some photo ops.

Upon disembarking, we walked only a few feet before going through a doorway and finding our bus. Yhony from cave-tubing.com aka Butts-Up was waiting for us, as I had made a reservation online before the cruise.

We boarded the greyhound type bus with about 30 other people and were soon on our way. It was quite a long drive - maybe an hour, but the staff kept it fun. On the way there, we were given an interesting lecture on the history and current events of Belize. We were all given samples of the locally brewed Cashew Wine (which is more liquor than wine). On the way home they played music and kind of turned the bus into a nightclub. My girls enjoyed the dance lessons from the local Belizian girls in the aisles of the bus. It was a fun ride, even though we were tired and ready to get back to the boat.

Once we got to our destination, which was truly in the woods, in BFE, we unloaded and headed to our zip lining spot. We were all fitted in super attractive helmets and harnesses. We looked like Minions. Then we hiked. And climbed. And hiked. And climbed. Oh the stairs! It was a heck of a workout!! The first jump was a small one, where they teach you how to do it. I failed. Lol. I am a bit scared of heights and I think I was a little overwhelmed, and the instructions went in one ear and out the other. The main thing they tell you is don't let go, well - I let go. You aren't holding on the the cable, your harness does that, but your hands are your brake and keep you from spinning and being out of control. Well, I let go, spun a few times, got a nice little "rope burn" on my elbow and nearly took out the poor guy that had to catch me on the other platform. FAIL. Thankfully, I figured it out on the next jumps.

I don't remember how many jumps we did. Maybe 7? It was fun. Its not everyday that you get to swing through the tops of the trees in a Central American rainforest jungle. Quite an experience!

After the last jump we took off our gear and headed to the cave tubing sight. I didn't realize how much of a walk we were in for. The company's website advertises that you don't have to carry your tube - well, that's true for the first 1/4 mile or so, but then you do have to pick up your tube for the rest of the walk - which was a good mile, easily. They do have some kids who will carry your tube for you, for a tip, I'm sure. The company also advertises that their tubes have headrests and drink holders - all true - but this simply makes the tubes heavier, and you can't even bring drinks to the caves!

It was quite a trek - definitely not handicap accessible or for small children. I was counting my blessings that I hadn't tried this when my kids were any younger. Finally we reached the starting point for the tubing. We boarded our tubes, and were tied together in groups of about 8, while each group had a tour guide swimming and pulling them trough the cave. What a job! I felt a little sorry for the petite, young girl that was pulling us through the water like a mule. I tipped her well when this was over.

The trip through the caves was nice and relaxing. The cold water and chilly air in the cave was welcome after all the physical activity we'd had all day. The caves were amazing, but even with our headlamps, it was a little hard to see. The cave was full of people in tubes from various different tour companies. Each tour guide was giving a speech, and with the competing voices, I really couldn't hear anything. Our little tour guide's small voice didn't stand a chance, so I didn't ever know what I was looking at - that was my main complaint of the day.

After exiting the cave we were allowed to swim a little ways to our exit point. The cool, clear spring water felt amazing and I wish we could have stayed longer. We were pressed for time though, so were hurried to the bus and then drove up the road for lunch. We stopped at a little hut where we were each given a plate of chicken tamales. I bought a refreshing Belizian Belikin beer (the only beer sold in Belize?) and we all bought t-shirts and more cashew wine.

983696_10203760848371997_5642832924543341876_n.jpg.9a52ad4710b41189c69f2ef451740ace.jpg

I did an excursion with .bz back in 2012. Loved it, it was really a great experience. The walk was a little crappy but I am not in great shape or the most coordinated. I found it to be humid and slippery, but totally worth it and beautiful.

My "in shape" is round, and I have a bad lower back from my profession. It was totally doable, although not the most comfortable of walk.

When I went, you carried your own tubes, I don't know if they still do that now, though. It was a little awkward but if you're having trouble or if you're like me and kind of a slow walker, they will offer to carry it for you. There were two guides, and one would lead and the other dropped back and kept pace with me because I was bringing up the rear. He would tell me about the area we were walking through and kept encouraging me "We only have a little farther to walk!" "You're almost there!" and kept offering to carry my tube several times.

I would just bring a cover up because the changing facilities were damp and dingy and there were bugs and no mirror. I just threw my board shorts and t-shirt on over my swim suit and was comfortable for the bus ride back.

The drive to and from is pretty long, but on the way out they provide a nice explanation on what you are seeing, pass around Belizean money and tell you about life on Belize. On the way back, I took a nap :-)

I loved .bz and if I went cave tubing again I would go with them. The food was delicious and they had a little gift shop in their home, we bought a handmade wood wind chime that is just to die for.

Edited by SunshineCruiser24

As most of us are ... we were a bit skeptical arranging a tour in another country outside of the ship. But the cost difference was too much not to try it. $35 for the tubing through Butts Up vs $90 through the ship. We were on the Carnival Legend the first week of June 2014. After quite a long tender from the ship we got into the port. Skipped all the lines and were directed outside where the Butts Up bus was waiting. "Dayton" was amazing. He was our tour guide. We got on the bus and were quite surprised that the entire bus was Carnival Legend passengers. We took off through the City and Dayton was fantastic telling us all about Belize and answering any questions we had. We also had samples of Belize's native Cashew Wine as we continued on the hour long ride out into the jungle. When we arrived we were surprised at how clean everything was. The bathrooms and changing rooms were spotless and ladies were there cleaning. A bit of advice: You do leave all of your personal belonging on the bus (we weren't sure about this ... but nothing was touched). The tour takes you on a hike into the jungle to pick up your tubes, life jackets and head lamps and then you walk (yes people ... you do have to hike to get to the starting point and carry your tubes this entire way so be prepared. Aqua Socks/water shoes are a must or you have to rent them ... YUK! Walmart carries them for $5 so bring them with you. Also a waterproof camera. We didn't have one so we were out of luck with photos) Your tour guide with butts up will tie your tubes together and he basically pulls you through the caves and points out everything. It is a bit noisy in there with all the other tours. But what an experience! The caves are surreal and so is the jungle. The water is amazing. Cool and clean. When you get to the end, you turn in your items and head back to the bus. About a 10 min drive you stop at the Butts Up Palapa and are served lunch. Amazing tamales. Nothing like we have in the US. Don't be afraid to try them ... they truly are awesome. Not spicy and just so good. Drinks are available here as well: beer, cocktails and soda, water. Also you can buy Butts Up tshirts here for $10. Do it! The excursion takes the entire time you are on the island. And you will not have time to shop in the port. Also, we were going to do the zip lining as well. Not sure you would really have time to do more than one of the activities that Butts Up offers. Anyway ... go with Butts Up. Look them up on Facebook and tell Dayton Hi. This company is a local owned Belizian company. Help out their economy and save yourself some money.

This will be our first time, and we chose BZ just because of the zip line. Both BZ and COM have zip lines, but BZ's minimum age is 3, vs COM's 5, and I don't want my DD4 to miss out.

I'm thinking next time we'll go with COM, since they both get great reviews.

We used .com aka Butts Up. We choose their triple pack Cave-tubing, ATV and Zip-line. Like others mentioned the ride was about an hour. We were provided with information about Belize and it's culture and also were given to taste some Cashew Wine. It was my husbands birthday so everyone sang and toasted with Cashew Wine :D. Since we were the only ones on the bus that had booked the 3 pack adventure, we were given our own personal guide who assured us we would have time to do them all and get back on the bus with every one. We first did the ATV. It had rain so the trail was muddy. We joined the group that had booked the ATV tour ..we were about 9 in total. It was my first time riding an ATV and so one of the guides offered his assistance at all times. They were very helpful and made sure we had a fun time. Our personal guide then took my husband and I to the caves. Half way up the trail he picked up our tubes and carried them for us and we were given our head lights. Once in the water he pulled us through the caves at the same time pointing out features to focus on with our head lights. After cave-tubing we then headed to zip-line. There was only about 2 other couples by the time we got to the zip-line so pretty much had it all to ourselves. Their the zip-line guides went over some safety things and started our hike up to our 1st line. It was my 1st time zip-lining and I can say it was fun. The guys at the end of the line directed you when to slow down or speed up and were there ready to grab you. Once we completed everything our guide was there waiting and asked us if we enjoyed ourselves. We definitely did :D. We headed back to the bus and off to their Palapa to have some tamales. We definitely were hungry, tamales were great and my husband tried their Belizian Beer. We really had a great time and would definitely recommend Butts Up and would book again!

We just got back from a cruise on the Navigator of the Seas. We're Diamond members with RC so we've been on quite a few shore excursions. These guys were one of the top! Vitalino Reyes and his guides met us at the port with a cold bottle of water and a smile. Our guide Jonathan was VERY knowledgeable about the country and wildlife, a complete gentleman and a GREAT guide. :D He is also a member of their local rescue team so we felt very safe with him. We went up the river a little farther than most of the other groups we saw and also stayed in the river longer. We also had a nice lunch at their facility. When we go back to Belize next year we WILL be using cavetubing.bz again. I recommend them highly. :D

• 3 weeks later...

mitsugirly,

I have read your post and review about BZ.com cave tubing and really appreciate all the info you have shared. :confused:I do have some questions about the tour with them...how was the van? Was it one of those 10 seaters or larger? Did it have A/C in it? Also, when you had lunch at the owner's home:Vitalino Reyes, did his house have A/C or did you sit outside for lunch. Just wondered about the A/C situation, since we will be out in the heat walking to the caves.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by monakayk

mitsugirly,

I have read your post and review about BZ.com cave tubing and really appreciate all the info you have shared. :confused:I do have some questions about the tour with them...how was the van? Was it one of those 10 seaters or larger? Did it have A/C in it? Also, when you had lunch at the owner's home:Vitalino Reyes, did his house have A/C or did you sit outside for lunch. Just wondered about the A/C situation, since we will be out in the heat walking to the caves.

Thanks in advance.

The vans were brand new and very nice the second time we went with them. The a/c worked perfect. Um, I don't really remember "how many" seats it had but there was 6 of us at the time and the rest of the seats were filled.

P5130189-L.jpg

From the looks of the picture I took of the van, I'm guessing maybe 4 or 5 rows plus the front seat?

When you go to the owners home, you are not IN his home. There's a parking area out front and it's like a seating area with a roof over it. They have a mini store there to purchase knick knacks and stuff and a cashier area for paying for the tour. You sit at tables to eat there. It's open on all sides of it and of course in the shade. We didn't find it to be uncomfortable or hot when we were under it.

P5130480-L.jpg

P5130481-L.jpg

The vans were brand new and very nice the second time we went with them. The a/c worked perfect. Um, I don't really remember "how many" seats it had but there was 6 of us at the time and the rest of the seats were filled.

From the looks of the picture I took of the van, I'm guessing maybe 4 or 5 rows plus the front seat?

When you go to the owners home, you are not IN his home. There's a parking area out front and it's like a seating area with a roof over it. They have a mini store there to purchase knick knacks and stuff and a cashier area for paying for the tour. You sit at tables to eat there. It's open on all sides of it and of course in the shade. We didn't find it to be uncomfortable or hot when we were under it.

mitsugirly,

Thanks so much for the quick reply to my questions and also adding the photos. Your post was very helpful.

Looks like a nice shady place for lunch!:D

mitsugirly,

Thanks so much for the quick reply to my questions and also adding the photos. Your post was very helpful.

Looks like a nice shady place for lunch!:D

You are very welcome. I know that it was breezy enough that the heat didn't bother us both times we were there. :)

• 2 months later...

Do your shoes get nasty? Just wondering whether to pack strapped sandals like keen or Merrill or just the cheap walmart water shoes? Also we are a group of 10 and will have our own bus through bz will ther be anytime to do any shopping maybe get some chocolate? We are in port 10 hours and we have faster to the fun so hopefully tender off quickly

Do your shoes get nasty? Just wondering whether to pack strapped sandals like keen or Merrill or just the cheap walmart water shoes? Also we are a group of 10 and will have our own bus through bz will ther be anytime to do any shopping maybe get some chocolate? We are in port 10 hours and we have faster to the fun so hopefully tender off quickly

We have just worn our regular water shoes both times we went. No, your shoes do not get nasty. They just get wet. The water is beautiful and crystal clear. It's not muddy or anything like that.

P5130213-L.jpg

See how clear the water is and you can see the rocks on the bottom

P5130215-L.jpg

P5130268-L.jpg

P5130269-L.jpg

P5130324-M.jpg

• 5 months later...

We booked ahead of time because the price was way cheaper than the cruise price. I am so so glad we did. Several things made this trip the best of the cruise. Or guide John Frazer was so funny and fun to be with . He was very informative on our hour bus ride. He was a great entertainer. We enjoyed being with him. We zip lined and cave tubed for 75 dollars each. We were so impressed we tipped 20 bucks. We were treated like gold. When we arrived we zip lined first. Then when we caved tubed all the other tours made the people carry their own tubes. We did not carry our tubes. The hike was very long to get to the place where you get in the water. I was super happy not to have had to carry that tube. Our guide swam out and pulled us through the cave. He pointed out really cool stuff and showed us bats and swallows. Our tour went way farther in the river and gave us some swim time at the end. All the other tours got out of the river way earlier than we did. They took us to this place and gave each of us a hot chicken tamale. There were drinks you could buy. The whole thing was fantastic.

Hello everyone,

Looking to do the cave tubing and zip lining tour in Belize, however unsure of which company to book with. Prices are the same (75) and I've heard that tubing and zip lining are all done at the same place. If I could get some good or bad recommendations for either company that would be great!

As well the boat is at port from 9-5 that day...is that enough time to do both?

$75 for both tubing and zip line? What site did you see that from? We are looking to book with cavetubing.bz and they have it listed for $100.00 Just curious

In May 2013, on my daughter's Senior trip, we did the Butts Up private tour. It was lots of fun!! They picked us up in an air conditioned very comfortable bus. not a van.. a big bus. We had about 30 ppl in our party. We did the ATV tubing combo. The ATV tour was not anything special especially if you already own or ride 4 wheelers yourself. But the cave tubing was great! I highly recommend the Butts Up tour company. Very professional. They severed tamales for lunch with a cold drink... very tasty, but not extremely filling for some of the guys.

I wore neoprene shoes that have a rubber sole. The hike is not that big of a deal.. not steep or slick, etc. very well traveled path. My point is, you could wear your tennis shoes without them getting nasty, or if you have any Tevas, Keens, etc, they would be perfect. I wouldn't take a cameral unless its the water proof kind. The guide will take photos of you with your camera, but I wouldn't trust it unless it is water proof. We all wore our swim suits on the rafts. They do lock everything in the bus, so you could leave your camera, etc. in there during the float, if you are taking it for the zipline, etc.

Edited by msmom1365

We used .Com 2 years ago and had a great time. A nice air conditioned bus. The crew kept us entertained during the bumpy ride. They shared some cashew wine with us. Along the tubing trip, they pointed out to us the groups from the ship getting out of the river halfway through our excursion. Can't recommend them enough! Do you Belize it?!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hey all, I am looking at the .bz site and I see it says $45 (minimum 8 people.) Does that mean my husband and I need to make 6 friends to make a reservation with, or will they just put us in a group with 6 other ppl who have also signed up?

hey all, I am looking at the .bz site and I see it says $45 (minimum 8 people.) Does that mean my husband and I need to make 6 friends to make a reservation with, or will they just put us in a group with 6 other ppl who have also signed up?

We just booked with .bz last week and are a family of 3 and it wasn't an issue. I emailed and got a reservation confirmation and details within an hour. It was still $45 per person. I'm assuming they will just pair us with another small party upon arrival.