Seven Night Tahiti Dec 28 2013 - Review

astrocat

After reading, and benefitting from, so many other reviews and advice (and most recently inspired by 6Rugrats!), it's time to begin my own account of our 7 Night New Year Sailing. I intend to post it in instalments on this thread, but as I am also trying to pick up the pieces of normal life, and recover from an acute case of Polynesian flu, the posts may be sporadic. From time to time, I'll also ask DS and DH to review what I've written and they may have some input. Particularly from DS who participated extensively in the diving programme.

ABOUT US AND BACKGROUND

My DH and I sailed PG back in 2011. It's fair to say that we absolutely loved it and I promised DS that one day he might go too. At 17, and about to graduate from High School, the time had come and after considering holidays, work commitments, itineraries and weather, we settled on December 28 2013. We knew it was 'rainy season' but decided that the risks of poor conditions would balance out. As it proved, the weather was brilliant.

BOOKING THE CRUISE

We booked the cruise through our regular local Travel Agent whom we trust implicitly. She is fabulous. Agents in NZ don't seem to operate with OBC incentives and we've never bothered asking for one. Our priority is to get the flights, hotels and holidays arrangements we want and she consistently delivers on this. So she did all the liaising with PG. They do have an agency in Sydney but when attempting to finalise a couple of dive arrangements later, we were able to bypass this and contact PG direct both on facebook and by email.

On our previous cruise we were on Deck 7 (723) which was absolutely fine but with three in a cabin this time, we wanted a little more room without taking two cabins. So we went for Deck 8 forward and were allocated 813 which has the extra bedding. There was a little confusion in the terminology used eg 'pull out' and 'love seat.' What 813 actually has is a regular sofa bed which pulls out and down at night. Our lovely room attendant Mary Grace took the sheets etc away each day and folded it up and down accordingly. There was plenty of room for DS who is 5'11. He thought the bed was great.

It would be hard to imagine a 'bad' cabin on PG but sometimes the question is asked , which is the best side of the ship when travelling in PG? Both times we have been on starboard and if there is an advantage, you are on the 'pretty' side of Papeete when in port. Otherwise, I don't think it would really matter much at all.

FLIGHTS

We booked to fly Air NZ AKL - FAA, leaving on December 27 (post Christmas tidying up blitz!). I know I packed too many clothes but didn't have time to be selective. In any case, was still underweight and there is plenty of storage (even for three) in the staterooms, Because of the time difference, we arrived in Tahiti just before midnight on December 26. Got to love time travel! The flights were great, just long enough for two movies. Watched The Heat (again!)

TA had organised a pick up from Rosie Tours who met us at the Papeete airport with shell leis and a very tidy van to take us to the Intercontinental.

HOTEL CHECK IN

It was a late night arrival at the InterCon just before midnight. I love the feeling of the warm tropical air when you arrive at the desk. They gave us a welcoming drink while DH did the necessary paperwork. He had been insistent that we get the Panorama room he had booked. So when he returned looking slightly shell shocked, I feared the worst. He said we didn't get the Panorama ... instead (somehow due to his membership of an Intercon membership club) we had been upgraded to an overwater bungalow. It wasn't like requesting an upgrade and living in hope ... this came as a total shock to all of us but joy knew no bounds, and as the little truck took us to our new quarters, we were all very excited! We arrived at the bungalow (503) to hear the water lapping at the piles and soft lights marking the way. Very tired, we fell asleep and looked forward to pulling back the curtains for a view of Moorea in the morning.

STILL TO COME

Our first day at the hotel ... afternoon / evening visit to Papeete ... our ship comes in. To be continued!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389821619.594109.jpg.c198de96406be392e7229a87ce4d705a.jpg

Bungalow 503, taken from the deck.

somehow due to his membership of an Intercon membership club) we had been upgraded to an overwater bungalow.

We got one TOO for the same reason! I guess we never talked about this on board, but we were neighbors! How about that lightning on Saturday morning? :eek:

PAPEETE AND THE HOTEL

Friday dawned and we pulled back those curtains to see one of the most beautiful hotel views in the world -- Moorea, island of mystery, hovering across the channel. A few shrouds of mist / cloud did hang around its peaks but it was warm and in any case, how could a few clouds detract from the mystique of being back in French Polynesia.

After a swim off our deck (bliss!) we headed down to the main restaurant for breakfast. DS and I both tried the full buffet and although there was nothing wrong with it, we both agreed that we didn't really need so much to eat. DH had the bakery / continental option and that was plenty. In fact the next day, I didn't have breakfast at all. The hotel itself was busy but our room was well presented and serviced.

After breakfast, it was back to the room and a quick change before heading to the infinity pool. I have to say that I regard the Intercon's infinity pool as the best hotel pool I've ever swum in ...

ejuja4yj.jpg

There's THAT view, relatively few children, a swim up bar, plenty of loungers and shade, all in a natural setting. The main pool is much busier. The 'lagoon' is worth a quick snorkel but the best fish there live in the roped off areas, near the bridges.

Back at the infinity pool, Christmas caught up with me, and I fell asleep on a lounger with a book, woke up in time for another swim, then back to the restaurant for a light lunch (mahi mahi sandwich for me, club for DH and pizza - very generously sized - for DS). Yes, much of the food is relatively $$ due to importation costs, but they don't stint on portions.

We successfully lounged around the hotel til 3pm, when we had booked transport for a look at Papeete. Parts of the market were open, but because it was relatively late in the day (and still Christmas holiday time), it was fairly quiet. We pottered around on foot and had a beer (or two) at Les Trois Brasseurs, a pleasant brewery down on the waterfront before it was time for dinner.

ROULOTTES

The rain spattered down just as we headed over towards the roulottes, the little food trucks which arrive on the waterfront every night at 6pm. I'd highly recommend these as an 'authentic' FP food experience. There's a huge variety from French to grill to Chinese - although perhaps not as many vans as our last visit in 2011. Whether this was due to a downturn in the economy, Christmas or the drizzle, it was hard to say. We looked around and went for the green 'Creperie du Port.'. Substantial galettes and crepes. Delicious.

hemuve2e.jpg

The rain cleared just in time for us to view the object of our desire ... yes, the Paul Gauguin cruising in in darkness, carrying guests whose holiday was about to end - with ours about to begin! Tres magnifique!

After a somewhat hair raising taxi ride on damp roads back to the hotel, we were more than ready for another good night's sleep. That is, after a night time swim off our deck.

vuhany8a.jpg

To come ... we are deluged by a tropical thunderstorm .. the skies clear .. and it's anchors aweigh!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ha family! Finally, Tapatalk comes into its own ... so much easier to load photos directly from a device. They don't need to be posted to another site first eg photobucket.

And the old bread trick sounds like a good one emdee, must use it next time ;)

Back to the story, the preparation of which was very rudely interrupted by a 6.2 magnitude earthquake near us yesterday. All's well, and as you were.

EMBARKATION DAY

Yes, the great day had finally dawned and it was pretty clear that lovely though the IC was, in reality we would be marking time until we could set off for the PG. We planned to spend the morning swimming off the deck and reading, and aimed to leave checkout til as late as possible at 1050 (although as it turned out , we could possibly have used our 'status' to delay until the afternoon.). In any event, we didn't get quite as much swimming as planned. The skies gradually darkened until, as Motu said, the heavens open, and it rained cats and dogs - along with knife, fork and spoon lightning. Some of the most intense I've experienced. As those of you familiar with the hotel will know, it's right on the flight path to Fa'aa airport. This isn't a noise issue, rather it gives some very interesting views as you get to see all manner of aircraft land and take off, from private jets to the bigger commercial craft. Flights continued to take off and land during the height of the storm, without problem.

After the 'show' finished, we headed down to checkout, had a snack at the main restaurant and swim in the big pool, before changing to go into town. With embarkation due to start at 3pm, we had booked transport for 2pm. Everything ran to time and we arrived at the wharf / pier with about half a dozen other groups in front of us. The PG looked terrific! Her flags were flying and DS was particularly excited to get a sense of her size. We've most recently cruised in Celebrity Solstice class. PG, although much smaller, still looks like a 'proper' ship.

aqebu3a4.jpg

Everyone quietly waited in line. It was already obvious from the groups waiting that this would be a popular cruise with families and so it proved. I will repeat a few general observations at the end of my review but would just say at this point that we (as a family) don't have any issues cruising with other families. How hypocritical would that be? Nor would we hesitate to cruise again at this time of the year because of the likely number of families. It's the perfect time for extended families to be together, and that's how it should be . The children on this cruise never had a negative impact on our own experiences. However I do think that in general, the PG may not always be the easiest 'first cruise' for very young passengers (eg 2 - 3 years old) and parents might want to take this into account. There will always be exceptions of course. And secondly I think the limit of child / adult passengers may have been reached on this cruise. Any more and keeping them occupied could have been difficult. Balancing the numbers was an excellent Youth Programme coordinated by staff from the Cousteau group. We attended one of their enrichment talks (stargazing) and it was really good.

BOARDING

The line was soon moving, and we went on in turn. There had been some mention in an earlier post that 'lower decks' might have to wait to board? I never saw any sign of this .. it was a completely democratic process and you went on in the order you had lined up. Walking down the pier, there is that frisson of excitement ... yes, it's the moment when the scented, chilled towels come out! PG has these down to a fine art. They're quality cloths, really cold and have a lovely tropical perfume.

Refreshed, we were ushered up the stairs, past the photographer (got a really lovely one this time - this guy must be really good :) ) and of course had our official photos taken, although you never get to see those. I always wonder how truly ghastly mine are. We then went to the Grand Salon to be processed and very quickly we were greeted personally by our butler to be, Jonathan. This was a first time butler experience for us but Jonathan knows what he is doing and took us (and our complimentary bubbly) to stateroom 813. It was lovely, especially with the 'welcome' rug on the bed. The starboard view into town is so pretty.

pe7ugaqy.jpg

We had a quick look around, our bags were there already, and DS and I headed down straight away to the Dive Desk, leaving DH to unpack first. Got to the Dive Desk and DS introduced himself to the team, headed by Regis. As a newly qualified diver DS had a few questions, Regis had all the required info and DS signed up for a first dive the very next day at Raiatea, one on Bora Bora and another at Moorea. Very exciting. Seperately, DH asked me if I wanted to do a ship's excursion at Raiatea and I opted for the drift snorkel. Very easy to book at the desk but glad I got there in time to make the booking before dinner.

We then headed for a drink in the piano bar and a first meal in l'Etoile. I haven't kept an exhaustive list of every meal we ate, suffice to say we had no complaints about the quality of the meals in any of the three venues and we also stuck with the standard wines and found them very pleasant. There was a wine expert travelling on the ship but we didn't get to any of the sessions unfortunately.

After dinner, we walked the decks in the warm Pacific night air. Gorgeous. Then it was back to the stateroom and quickly asleep. Some slight sea movement after we cast off but only enough to reassure us that we were on our way.

To come ... Thar she blows ... our first port of call ... diving and drift snorkeling ... always happy to answer any questions of course!

tysa4aje.jpg

I've forgotten something already!!! Between the unpacking and before the piano bar, we went to get our snorkel gear. We weren't there quite as early as we should have been and there was already a queue at the marina door. When it did open, the line only moved very slowly and it is very hot. However I'm glad we persisted since we were all set to go the first morning. Our gear was perfectly good quality and fit well. I did hear (anecdotally but from a reliable source) that due to high pax numbers, some gear ran low.

• 3 weeks later...

Appreciate the review so far. Wife and I are heading out on the PG on 08/30 for the 12-day Tahiti, Cook Islands, Fiji, etc.

So would you say at this point that it's worth having the personalized service 9butler)? We've reserved room 704 but I'm thinking it would be nice to have a B room Veranda.

We hardly ever used the Butler but it was nice to have the larger cabin and bigger balcony. I also love the location on the 8th deck by the pool.

We would always call for coffee at 6 am each day so by day 4 the butler would wait for the call just outside the door in the pantry area and provide the coffee in 20 seconds. One day we didnt ask for coffee because I wanted to sleep in a bit. Unfortunately the very efficient butler knocked on the door at 6 am and woke me up!!

I think in September I shall give the Butler my scheduling of waking so i will avoid this. This was so funny and I think he felt really bad !

Other times I have asked for my morning coffee at the reception area on deck 4 so as not to wake the other occupants in my room!