After chocolate tour suggestions

BLAMBKY

We are going to the chocolate factory our because momma wants to go. (Remember if mamma's not happy rule?! :p) Anyways since momma (that's me!:D) wants the whole family to enjoy the day, what else can we do after the chocolate tour? Tour is at 9:30 and last about an hour....so? Any suggestions for the teens in our group?

• 4 weeks later...
We are going to the chocolate factory our because momma wants to go. (Remember if mamma's not happy rule?! :p) Anyways since momma (that's me!:D) wants the whole family to enjoy the day, what else can we do after the chocolate tour? Tour is at 9:30 and last about an hour....so? Any suggestions for the teens in our group?

Loved the chocolate factory tour. We had a highly recommended taxi driver take us all around the island for 6 hours after the tour. He was wonderful and he met us at the factory. We had lunch at the Round House overlooking Bathsheba beach which was beautiful.

Loved the chocolate factory tour.

We had a highly recommended taxi driver take us all around the island for 6 hours after the tour.

He was wonderful and he met us at the factory.

We had lunch at the Round House overlooking Bathsheba beach which was beautiful.

You had lunch here...

RHouse-550.jpg

RHouse-530.jpg

RHouse-534.jpg

We did this a few years ago and after the chocolate factory we went for a flying fish lunch and then did a tour of Mount Gay Rum, with a tasting session. Not recommended for the kiddos.

Did you go by tour, or taxi? We are coming to Bridgetown by cruise in March and have 6-7 hours to spend. Was the chocolate/rum tours worthwhile? Your pics are beautiful, we must have lunch there! Is it nearby?

we were in Barbados on Tuesday, a week ago. We didn't have money to book an excursion but went shopping like the locals instead. Next time HAVE to do something.

Have you ever "done" the Hershey Factory Tour in Hershey, PA? Just wondering if this was a "real" tour*. We went to the Barcardi Tour Puerto Rico and neither were actual factory tours.

*I want to see them making chocolate not just a museum with a video of how it's made or a history.

Jelly Belly in California was the only true factory tour I've ever done.

Did you go by tour, or taxi? We are coming to Bridgetown by cruise in March and have 6-7 hours to spend. Was the chocolate/rum tours worthwhile? Your pics are beautiful, we must have lunch there! Is it nearby?

This was just something we threw together by ourselves. We booked the chocolate factory tour online and then just decided that we wanted flying fish/cutter sandwich ( it's a national dish ) for lunch and then to tour one of the rum factories. We started out walking to the chocolate factory, as we headed out of the gates to the cruise terminal there is a roundabout where more taxi drivers are waiting, so one approaches us and asked where we're going, we tell him the Agapey Chocolate factory, he says there's no chocolate factory on Barbados, we show him the directions we got from the factory and he offers to drive us there for free so he can see where it is. Turns out to be 2 or 3 blocks away from where he found us but not easy to find. The factory is located in the old Colgate-Palmolive building and the entrance is in the back. Since we already knew what we wanted to do, we had the driver come back 2 hours later and had him find us the restaurant for lunch. We ended up at The Harbour Inn, I think that was the name of the place. After lunch we went over to Mount Gay Rum and toured the factory and had a tasting there. We had a fun time and to us it was worth it.

The pictures are from Aplmac not me.

we were in Barbados on Tuesday, a week ago. We didn't have money to book an excursion but went shopping like the locals instead. Next time HAVE to do something.

Have you ever "done" the Hershey Factory Tour in Hershey, PA? Just wondering if this was a "real" tour*. We went to the Barcardi Tour Puerto Rico and neither were actual factory tours.

*I want to see them making chocolate not just a museum with a video of how it's made or a history.

Jelly Belly in California was the only true factory tour I've ever done.

Yes, this is a real working factory. It's only in one room but the owner takes you through the whole process from selecting the beans to final product. Right now he only does dark chocolate not milk chocolate. Find more info here -

http://www.agapey.com

You have to book it through Agapey. It's not offered as a ship excursion. You can look on their site and see what days they currently have tours. If they don't have on set up for your requested day, fill out the request form and they add tours as more people sign up. It's right in Bridgetown, less than a mile from port.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just want to bump this thread to see what others are doing or have done as well without a traditional tour. I have booked the chocolate factory tour as well first thing in the morning, and want to tour Mount Gay Rum too. Is it fairly easy to just hire a taxi for the day? I expect to still have quite a bit of time on our hands, and it's just my husband and I in our 30's.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just want to bump this thread to see what others are doing or have done as well without a traditional tour. I have booked the chocolate factory tour as well first thing in the morning, and want to tour Mount Gay Rum too. Is it fairly easy to just hire a taxi for the day? I expect to still have quite a bit of time on our hands, and it's just my husband and I in our 30's.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Very easy to hire a taxi for the day. I suggest walking out of the terminal area to the roundabout right outside the gate. The taxi drivers out there are more willing to negotiate a good price, we got one for $25US per person (there were 3 of us) for the whole day.

• 2 weeks later...
Very easy to hire a taxi for the day. I suggest walking out of the terminal area to the roundabout right outside the gate. The taxi drivers out there are more willing to negotiate a good price, we got one for $25US per person (there were 3 of us) for the whole day.

Thank you! We'll definitely do that.

Is the chocolate tour worth $18 per person?? Do we get chocolate to taste?

I thought it seemed a little pricey too, but I love chocolate, and wasn't interested in a beach day or any of the tours I'd seen listed. I was at Hershey Chocolate World in PA last month, very touristy but fun. DH and I plan to get a taxi and hopefully negotiate a private rum shop tour after the chocolate factory. Chocolate & rum! I figured we couldn't go wrong with that. 😁

• 1 month later...
Is the chocolate tour worth $18 per person?? Do we get chocolate to taste?

We took this tour in January (it was only $15 back then).

He starts out by having you taste three different sugars (and yes, there is a difference!) so you can see how much better the local sugar, which he uses in his product, tastes.

You get to taste cacao beans from several different sources.

We tasted samples of all of his product line. They're all amazing, but the rum caramel bar uses Mount Gay rum and is truly fantastic.

He showed us the entire process from bean to melted chocolate, but not the pouring of the bars. He wasn't roasting beans that day, but turned the roaster on so we could see how it worked.

He only makes dark chocolate. No dairy involved.

We were allowed to purchase as much chocolate as we wanted for $5/bar; the bars sell for $7-12 in gift shops around the island and at the airport, and for $6-8 plus shipping online.

We enjoyed it so much that we want to go again on our next cruise in November. We're hoping to get enough people to sign up that they'll schedule a tour for us, since our ship docks on a day when regular tours are not on the calendar.