Seasickness?

luckyduck

We just booked our first Alaska cruise. We're going the Tracey Arm~Skagway~Juneau~Ketchikan route, which I believe is the Inside Passage? Just wondering how choppy it is.

We'll get seasickness meds in advance of course, and my husband only has a problem if the seas are really rough. I haven't read about this route being particularly rough/choppy, but I wanted to ask.

We are on the same route in May. We leave from Vancouver, but we are also heading to Sitka. From what I understand you will experience open water the first sea day on the cruise and then once inside the passage the water is very smooth. if you have rough weather, you may have more motion.

My motion sickness is pretty bad (I can't read anything in the car for more than 5-10 minutes without feeling nauseous) and the only time I got seasick on my last Alaskan cruise was the first day cruising in open water and it was before I took a motion sickness pill. After taking the pill, I was fine for the 2nd half of the day and for the rest of the cruise so I think your husband should be fine.

We did the inside passage out of Seattle 6 years ago, the only night that slightly bothered me was the first night out of Seattle. The rest of the cruise was calm. Just so you know I rarely get motion sick. Not knowing where you are cruising out of, I have heard Vancouver is much calmer.

We just booked our first Alaska cruise. We're going the Tracey Arm~Skagway~Juneau~Ketchikan route, which I believe is the Inside Passage? Just wondering how choppy it is.

We'll get seasickness meds in advance of course, and my husband only has a problem if the seas are really rough. I haven't read about this route being particularly rough/choppy, but I wanted to ask.

Most of that is in protected waters, you might think that you are on a lake instead of the ocean.

I did a RT Seattle in June/July 2009, and one of the first days was a sea day. I was so sick that I pretty much did not leave my room the whole day. I took Dramamine (spelling) and had wrist bands, nothing helped except sleeping. I tried to join my family for dinner but had to return to my cabin before desert so to my surprise room service arrived later that night to my room with my desert. ( the server had it sent to me). Ever since that cruise I always have Dramamine and take it religiously at night, day, pretty muc every two or three hours whatever is directed. The next day when I woke up my family had told me that half the ship was sick and places had been and were still quarentined, even my aunt and uncles room steward get sick in their room. I was so sick that I begged one of my uncles to fly me home because I didn't want to be there and I hate flying so yeah not my favorite part of the trip but the rest was amazing.

"Smooth sailing/inside passage" does NOT guarantee anything, except you are on water. I have personally experienced very rough sailing several times. Best advice is to be prepared, which you seem to be. Following your health care professional's advice should have the best outcome.