Falklands Help!!! Golden Princess, leaving Buenos Aires on 3/1/2014

smajy

Hi,

My wife and I will be coming to the Falklands on the Golden Princess on March 7th and we would desperately love to go to Volunteer Point, but it seems as if everyone - literally everyone - is booked.

Any suggestions???

Hi,

My wife and I will be coming to the Falklands on the Golden Princess on March 7th and we would desperately love to go to Volunteer Point, but it seems as if everyone - literally everyone - is booked.

Any suggestions???

Have you tried the Roll Call board for your cruise to see if anyone has any other shore excursion?

There's probably more people on board your ship, than live on the Falklands.

Does the ship not offer trips? Have you tried all the guides listed on the FI tourist board website?

Have you considered another venue (one that is easier to reach, eg Bluff Cove, or Gypsy Cove)?

Really, Volunteer Point and big cruise ships do not always go together well. It's a looooong overland bumpy journey, and sometimes the ships can't even drop anchor....

Was Estancia Excursions all booked up? They had the second largest group of vehicles after the ships tours. I notice that the email address on the Falklands tourism website is not the same as they were using in their communications with me.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I are also on the Golden Princess leaving Buenos Aires on March 2, 2014. I just got a reply from Sheena at Penguin Travel in the Falklands regarding my inquiry concerning one of their "non-penguin" tours. They couldn't accommodate me but mentioned they they might be able to arrange a tour to Volunteer Point for $230USD per person IF I could find another 2 people to join us. Since my wife and I are seeing penguins at two other ports of call, I'm not really interested in going to Volunteer Point. But if you can find two other people to join you this might work for you. Penguin's website is http://www.penguintravel-falklands.com.

Thank you! We also found another guide who has a 4 x 4 and is willing to take us...and another couple, for roughly the same price. However, if we can't find two more people, it becomes 500 USD/PP.

Any takers out there??

Thank you! We also found another guide who has a 4 x 4 and is willing to take us...and another couple, for roughly the same price. However, if we can't find two more people, it becomes 500 USD/PP.

Any takers out there??

We are interested. my email is kalianda at gmail.com

Lianda

I did the tour with Patrick Watts and it was fantastic. I would not pass up any chance to visit Volunteer Point again, I also visited penguins at several other places and thought Volunteer Point was superior.

Follow the advice offered. I waitlisted with Patrick Watts and made the cut! I also know of a vacancy that opened up on roll calljust one week before sailing. As we tendered ashore, a couple were going to see if there were any openings that morning...just taking a chance.

The tour was incredible. However, I must issue a word of caution. This tour includes 4+ hours of off road travel. I mean really off road travel. We went up and down hills and vales, through deep ruts, puddles and encountered sheep grazing fences that must be opened and closed before proceeding over this private land. Our driver was great, and despite a very bumpy ride, he kept the bouncing to a decent minimum.

Once we reached Volunteer Point, all concerns about the travel disappeared. The penguins were just there, wandering all around and keeping everyone enthralled. There are areas where the penguins contain themselves, and you can't enter the "ring of stones", but they can exit at any time and walk to the ocean and back. So, they would just waddle past us at their leisure.

There were many vehicles and tour groups both private and from the ship. The tours like to travel as a caravan just in case a vehicle encounters a problem...and that is a good thing. The tour operators have this down, and while the tourists worry about missing the ship, I get the sense they allow enough cushion time to make sure this won't happen.

So, if you have any physical problems (back, motion sickness, kidney stones etc.), be forewarned this is a strenuous ride!

Edited by as19111

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Any suggestions???

Just returned from Patrick Watts trip. He accommodated friends of ours on the pier side on the day. There are usually cancellations because people double book tours to guarantee the best. His tour was the best tour we have ever taken. Get the first tender off.

Hi Smajy

I was in the Falklands a couple of months back and went to Volunteer with a guy called Tom, I was going to pm you but don't seem to be able to. He took two of us at a very reasonable rate compared to what you have been quoted. PM me for his contact details if you still need someone. If not I hope you have found someone and have a great day.