Whale watching: Victoria or Juneau?

CHSGrl

Going on Vancouver round trip cruise in early August, but will go to Vancouver Island for a couple of days beforehand. Want to do a whale watching excursion and trying to find out if Juneau or Victoria would be the better place to do this.

Going on Vancouver round trip cruise in early August, but will go to Vancouver Island for a couple of days beforehand. Want to do a whale watching excursion and trying to find out if Juneau or Victoria would be the better place to do this.

Most of the experiences I have read about whale watching in Alaska are far more exciting than the experience I had in Victoria in September. I have experienced whale watching from Sitka and in Kenai Fjords out of Seward. Both were superior to Victoria.

Watching whales is a random event and so you must go with probability. I have seen two whales from a long distance in Victoria. On EVERY Juneau whale watching, I have seen dozens of whales to include Orcas:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=548

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=543

The Southern Resident Killer Whales (SRKW) that comprise ~ 80 whales collectively are a treat to view. There are several tour operators that will provide whale-friendly trips to go out and try to find them.

Also, with the surge in the harbour seal population, the Transients (mammal eating orcas) have made a real comeback in the area as well.

The Residents will give you the larger pods (J, K, L, respectively) and the Transients travel in smaller groups. Either one is exciting to view!

If you can find an excursion to go out and see them, I am sure you would have a great time :)

If your budget can handle it, both - I've never had a bad whale-watching trip anywhere in the world and every time on the water is different even from the same port.

If you have to restrict yourself to one, rather than ask which is better ask which of these ports you are *less likely* to be in a position to visit again in future and take the trip from there.

Just in case you want my entirely subjective opinion - Victoria spanked Juneau hands-down. Being completely surrounded by a super-pod of not just all the resident orcas but enough transients to bring the total count over 100 was the second-best whale experience of my life.

Juneau was just fine - we saw a couple of dozen humpbacks in small groups and singles. Had I witnessed bubble-netting off Juneau, only seen one resident pod of orcas off Victoria, or some other random factors had been a little different my opinion would undoubtedly change...

We were in Juneau in September 2012 and we weren't even 1000 feet away from the dock before a pod of Orcas began swimming around, playing and having a good ole' time right there in the bay. The boat sat there for about an hour just watch the Orcas swim and dive. There were a couple of calves in the pod too. Then just about 10 miles off the Sea Lion Island saw 5 or 6 different humpbacks.

Booked the excursion through HAL - we weren't sure if we would get back to the dock in time and felt safer doing it that way.

BUT who ever you do go out with - you will see whales and have a great time. Just feel that Juneau is the best bet.

Barbara

Previous Cruises:

Westerdam - Alaska - September 2009 - 7 days

Rotterdam - Alaska - September 2010 - 7 days

Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera - April 2011 - 7 days

Amsterdam - Aklaska - September 2012 - 14 days

harv n marv, in juneau.. maximum of 6 people per boat... great company to work with.. we are going with them in august.. have been with orca enterprises. (captain Larry).... also very good.. just opted for a smaller boat, for just us 6...

These are two completely different whale watch areas. Out of Juneau it will be 100% sightings for humpbacks, "maybe" orcas less than 50% of the time. Out of Victoria it will be the resident orcas mentioned above, but stats are no where near 100% of the time. I always plan on at least 3 trips each time I'm there. A few years ago, there was no successful sightings over the 4 days I was there. They have a wide range and they will know if you're going to see them or not before you even leave, but all go out anyway.