Car parking at Southampton.

Going on a celebrity cruise 2nd Aug 14. We are driving to Southampton from Manchester and planning on staying in a hotel the night before. On a previous RCI cruise we received free parking at the docks. This time we haven't got that and parking is £10 a day.

So two questions....

What docks do celebrity use at Southampton docks?

Is there alternative parking near the docks that anyone can recommend that is cheaper.?.

Thanks. X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Celebrity use the City Terminal. If you use their parking, you drop your luggage of then park your own car and keep the keys. You might have a 100mtr walk or possibly 500mtr to the terminal.

There are several hotels close by, we have used the Holiday Inn at the dock gates, they and several others offer cruise parking deals. There are a lot of other alternatives, but beware some use unsecured parking areas. We parked at the Holiday Inn, stayed 2 nights, and got 18 nights parking for around £200, mind you it was in January!

For lots of info about Southampton and hotels/parking try this website:

http://www.destinationsouthampton.com/cruise/hotel-list/

Richard

Hi, we are on the same sailing but will be travelling down from Southport on the day.We have booked with AB Ports parking.We used them when sailing on Eclipse in 2012 and it was a great service.The car was parked a stones throw from the ship (no shuttle bus waiting/queues) great for embarkation but even better for disembarkation.On our way 10 mins after we were off the ship.When I booked there was a 20% discount on so we paid £99 for the duration of the trip.

Noticed you are on the roll call-we will be looking to book some trips soon and are always happy to share if anyone is interested.Will post details on roll call

Regards

Shona

Just a thought (depending whereabouts in M'cr you are), but have you considered the train? There is a direct service every hour from M'cr Piccadilly to Southampton Central. It takes about 4 1/2 hrs (probably quicker than driving on a Friday) and costs £100.80 pp return (call it £200 for the both of you return), if you factor in fuel, parking and just the stress of driving on a Friday, it might be worth it. Just thought I'd throw it in!

Simon

AB Ports have been fine for us, but they are not quite as good as CPS Services that some other lines use.

As others have suggested there are cheaper alternatives but do be very careful becuase off-site parking has come in for some very bad, often warranted criticism where cars have been damaged, used as personal transport, etc.

Check the big hotels around and just outside Southampton. Many do a 14 might parking deal with a night's accomodation and it's relatively inexpensive to get a taxi in. Alternatively, there are several smaller places we've stayed at where you can dump your car for a couple of quid a day and they will drive you in to the terminal. Try the Dairy at Packridge, Romsey, as an example.

We always stay at the Dolphin Hotel in the centre of Southampton, on their cruise and stay package.

You get one night B&B, up to 2 weeks parking, and a taxi to and from the port for £169

Great location for a walk out for dinner the night before, and no problem with your car, as it's parked on site, and secured in their car park, which is always locked overnight.

Lou

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on CC.

Last year I used Ezee Store for parking services, they charged me less than £100 for two weeks. You keep your car keys and your car is stored undercover. Also they ordered me a taxi both ways and the taxi fare was incuded in parking price. They have a great offer and to be honest, I will ue them every time. Their webiste is http://ezeestore.ltd.uk

Have a good one!

Hi yellowfurbaby and dalemouse,

We too are on this sailing. We have used AB parking twice now, really convenient particularly for disembarkation. We are usually off the ship and on our way within minutes. £134 as of last week. We are from North Wales so will be making much the same journey. We tend to go down the day before as we are scared of missing the ship and stay at a Premier inn, either Southampton city centre or west quay. We watch for an offer. The year before last we got two rooms for £50.

We have posted on the roll call and may be interested in trips.

Apologies for hijacking this thread but my question is best answered by those who drive to Southampton!

Does anyone know if there is a Tesco or other large supermarket that sells flowers close to the port? We shall be arriving by "airport taxi" the day prior to our cruise and staying at the Grand Harbour. Other than our first cruise, from Dover, this is the first time we have sailed from the UK. In the States, we always pick up some flowers at Publix and would like to pick up a similar reasonably-priced bouquet but will not have a car with us.

Apologies for hijacking this thread but my question is best answered by those who drive to Southampton!

Does anyone know if there is a Tesco or other large supermarket that sells flowers close to the port? We shall be arriving by "airport taxi" the day prior to our cruise and staying at the Grand Harbour. Other than our first cruise, from Dover, this is the first time we have sailed from the UK. In the States, we always pick up some flowers at Publix and would like to pick up a similar reasonably-priced bouquet but will not have a car with us.

The nearest supermarket is ASDA on Portland Terrace, but not sure on the quality... there is also a Cooperative convenience store at the bottom of the High Street near Town Quay who sell flowers and failing that there's a florist on East Street. Hope that helps!

As far as long term parking is concerned, you might want to look at Southampton Airport long stay, then catch the train one stop in to the centre. You might also look at parkatmyhouse.com - never used it, but I know my neighbour uses it to rent out his driveway.

The nearest supermarket is ASDA on Portland Terrace, but not sure on the quality... there is also a Cooperative convenience store at the bottom of the High Street near Town Quay who sell flowers and failing that there's a florist on East Street. Hope that helps!

Many thanks.

Hi yellowfurbaby and dalemouse,

We too are on this sailing. We have used AB parking twice now, really convenient particularly for disembarkation. We are usually off the ship and on our way within minutes. £134 as of last week. We are from North Wales so will be making much the same journey. We tend to go down the day before as we are scared of missing the ship and stay at a Premier inn, either Southampton city centre or west quay. We watch for an offer. The year before last we got two rooms for £50.

We have posted on the roll call and may be interested in trips.

Welsh Family

If I can manage to take the Friday off work we may consider doing the same.We once missed the ferry to France due to a faulty water pump and that was stressful enough-although that was made worse by having 2 x moody teenagers in the car who appeared to believe we had deliberately broken down just to spoil their day:-) .Any preference on which Premier Inn has the best location?

S

Weve used AB twice. A few years back we had to deposit luggage then go and park. Last year you parked up and a van drove around picking up luggage from where you parked. Also, we sailed last July and booked parking in May and they had a 20% off offer. I dont think they will ever sell out so may be worth hanging on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Last September we went on a cruise from Southampton and were surprised at the cost of parking. We used parkatmyhouse.com which we have used a few times before. We parked at a lock up car sales garage, where the guy was very helpful. It was easy to find and it cost us £10 in a taxi to the ship.

I think we paid about £4 or £5 a day, I can't remember exactly, but it was certainly a lot cheaper than at the cruise terminal. We have also used the service for Portsmouth and Stansted airport.

Dalesmouse,

We have used the premier inn city centre twice. It is excellently located with some on site parking. ( as long as you know the short cut into town). If you book it let me know. The west quay is very close to the port but you have to park off site in a multi-storey I believe. All the others are certainly close enough to make getting to the port simple however Southampton has a odd one way system so I would recommend using a Sat.Nav if you have one.

• 2 weeks later...

Try Twin Oaks Guest House Cadnam on the outskirts of Southampton only 10 minutes from the terminal, they provide a Cruise Service where Cruisers stay over the night before their cruise, park and get transferred.

Look it up on TripAdvisor - it says it all.

Parking £3 per day, transfer £14.80 each way for both of you and room rates average around £80 for two including a superb :)breakfast.

On your return you are always invited back after the Cruise for coffee before get ting on your way home.

Really lovely people and totally trustworthy. Picked us up from the terminal the minute we walked out the door, they have a fantastic system.

Happy Cruising!!:)

Try Twin Oaks Guest House Cadnam on the ouskirts of Southampton, its easy to find just off M27 junction 1. It only takes 10 minutes to get to terminal from there.

Parking £3 per day, transfer very reasonable £14.80 each way for both of you and you get an over night stay around £80 including breakfast. Add it all up and it only costs what we would have paid others just for parking.

Seriously one to consider. Look up on Tripadviser you'll see what I mean.