Edgewater hotel? Anyone?

twinmom38

WE are booked in august at the edgewater hotel.. booked because it seemed nice an is on the water.. i did a srreet search on google, and it is right next to the bell st port.. ( we are smith cove, of course).. my concern, is that it seems pretty "industrial" in the area.. lots of buildings, but i followed the roads a good way and didnt see any thing along the lines of shopping, eating etc.. we will be there 2 days pre-cruise.. mapquest says Pikes Market is half a mile away.. can anyone elaborate n this location? is it good? am i missing something? will we be stuck in "no mans land?" dont want to have to eat at the hotel.. ($$$$$)

You're right on the waterfront so you can walk along the sidewalk past all the piers where restaurants, tourist shops, aquarium are located. Walk to the Coleman Dock and find the water taxi to Alki Beach in West Seattle for spectacular views of the Seattle skyline.

As for getting to the usual sights in the downtown core, no worries. There's an elevator next door to the Edgewater that takes you up the hill to within a couple of blocks of Pike Place Market. From the market you can walk another 2-3 blocks and be at Westlake Center where you catch the monorail to the Seattle Center/Space Needle.

Don't worry you are in a great location. My DH & I spent 3 days in Seattle before our cruise. We stayed at the Homewood Suites not too far from there. We walked everywhere. You will enjoy your hotel.

My favorite seafood restaurant in Seattle is Anthony at Pier 66. You are approximately a five minute walk away. Not only does this Anthonys have the lovely 'fancier" upstairs venue there is a more casual bistro version below, and even a quick "stop-n-go" downstairs also. They really "covered their bases" with the options they offer at this location.

Also, you are a short walk to the famous Ivar's House of Clams and Elliots. There are other options as well.

Just a note that there are waterfront rooms at the Edgewater, then "waterside" rooms (facing north or south along the waterfront, not west toward the Sound and Olympic Mountains) and "city view" rooms.

The "city view" rooms will have a lovely view of a parking lot, busy arterial boulevard, and frequent trains running down the tracks across the street. Needless to say, they will be much cheaper than those on the water. Caveat emptor.

thanks for the heads up regarding the rooms... i figured as much, but we are okay with it.. on our cruise we have a lovely aft wrap, so we will be looking at the water view for a week... but if i hadnt known , i would have been glad you told me.. for us on this short pre-cruise, simply a place to sleep while we visit a couple of days with friends in the area..

No matter which way your room faces, you'll have the water right underneath...just like these characters did in 1964!

fabfishing.jpg

They used to let people fish out their windows, and they would prepare your catch for you in the restaurant--but not anymore, sadly. Still, the place has its own unique charm, and history, including another brush with rock and roll fame. Ever hear the Frank Zappa song "Mud Shark"...? :eek:

Quite a few years ago on one of our West Coast/Alaska cruises, we stopped in Seattle and noticed a hotel on piers out over the water right next to our pier. We checked the hotel name, researched it when we got home, and the next year drove up the coast, primarily to stay at the hotel - The Edgewater. We absolutely loved it - sort of a "Alaska Lodge meets Las Vegas" vibe, a lovely room, beautiful views, and even a great meal in the hotel restaurant.

We walked from the hotel to Pikes Market with no difficulty but I vaguely remember reading somewhere that there is major construction going on in that area. It might be worthwhile calling the hotel and asking about it. You could also post a question on the TripAdvisor Travel Forums - they're really good about answering questions like these. Here's a link to the Seattle forum:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60878-i74-Seattle_Washington.html

There is major construction going on - there is a large tunnel being drilled under the waterfront. This is all south of hotel and I expect that they would be diligent about keeping areas open and safe for people, especially during the summer when we have more tourists. Besides being a bit unsightly along the south end of the waterfront, I don't expect that the construction will cause any logistical problem.

We stayed at the Edgewater last summer before our cruise to Alaska and we loved it! We upgraded to the water view and took advantage of the tub and the fireplace...and we woke up to the Norwegian Jewel, right outside our window. :)

Another way to get around...we took the free hotel shuttle to Pike Market and then walked back to the hotel after eating/shopping...and we even found a Cost Plus for some local wine and snacks on our way back.

Enjoy your stay there!