One week from today!!!

turtlegirl2

We will be on a shark dive with Stuart Cove's in Nassau!! For those of you who have done this or a similar dive, can you take pictures while you are down? Do you need to wear gloves to mask the color of your hands? I'd love to come back with lots of pictures from this dive.

We are on the 7-25-05 Majesty of the Sea 4-day itinerary.

:D

We will be on a shark dive with Stuart Cove's in Nassau!! For those of you who have done this or a similar dive, can you take pictures while you are down?
I don't see why you couldn't.

I wouldn't do it unless I could take photos

Do you need to wear gloves to mask the color of your hands?
No. You do not need to wear gloves of any kind to dive in warm water. In fact, they are not allowed in many marine reserves, like Cozumel and I believe the Cayman Islands.

Yes, you can definitely take pictures, and the DM's will take your camera from you and try to get shots of you with the sharks as well. We did this dive in December (with Nassau Dive Centre) and it was pretty amazing to be surrounded by Caribbean Reef Sharks.

We didn't see anyone wearing gloves, so not sure if they are allowed or not. What they do is overweight you, have you kneel on the bottom (clutching a rock between your knees!), and keep your hands close to your body at all times. It's too easy for a shark to confuse a waving hand with bait, so when you take pictures, you slide the camera up to your face and snap the shot. You're cautioned to move slowly and keep your movements small and close to your body.

You'll be enthralled and amazed and come away with a whole new appreciation of sharks...at least I did.

I dove with stuarts cove last june,2004. Everything Hillary said is correct except we didn't clutch a rock between our knees. They do require a full wet suit or skin. Shorties, bathing suits, and short sleeve shirts are NOT acceptable. Gloves were not required. We had two people go with us on the dive the person feeding the sharks and a videographer/photographer. I didn't ask them about using my camera, but since they are in the business of making money I think they may be reluctant to use your camera since they are going to film you then sell you the pictures/DVD/VHS. Ask them, the only thing they can say is no. By the way the sharks get so close to you that they actually brush you as they pass. DON'T try to touch them. You'll love it. It is commercial, but what an experience. They also give you about 10 minutes of bottom time at the feeding area to look for shark teeth. One person in our group found one. Good luck and enjoy.

Jerry

One more comment. The shark dive is the second dive of the day. The first dive was along a wall near the shark feeding area. As a result of that the waters were teaming with sharks. That was almost more impressive than the feeding

I have done both. You can see my photos of my dives at the link in my signature. The April 2005 Key Largo dive was a shark dive. I suggest you wear gloves because if a shark does brush against you, their skin can be rough.

Archived