Bow area of Breakaway/Getaway

Winston Wolf

What is that up there? Is it a crew bar? I know regular passengers don't have access to the area...

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/photos/of/ships/page:1/photo_keywords:9606912

Edit: Doesn't go direct to the photo. You have to scroll to the end of the photos. I noticed it in the pics of the M6's in Bear's Google Document on cabins/balconies.

Edited by Winston Wolf

What is that up there? Is it a crew bar? I know regular passengers don't have access to the area...

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/photos/of/ships/page:1/photo_keywords:9606912

Edit: Doesn't go direct to the photo. You have to scroll to the end of the photos. I noticed it in the pics of the M6's in Bear's Google Document on cabins/balconies.

The crew pool and facilities are usually located near the bow area. Most NCL have a pool and rest area for the crew on the bow.

The crew pool and facilities are usually located near the bow area. Most NCL have a pool and rest area for the crew on the bow.

True, but this is not the case for Breakaway/Getaway. They have a helipad on the bow and further aft in front of the superstructure is an outdoor bar for the crew. Not many crew members ever use the pools/jacuzzis on the ships fitted with them, but this crew bar seems to get a lot of business. You could hear them partying away during our overnights in Bermuda. I love knowing that the crew, despite their difficult jobs and lifestyles, still have the ability to enjoy themselves, so I couldn't help but smile whenever I heard their merriment drift across Breakaway's open decks. The faint, almost otherworldly sound of laughter and good times that emanated from this bar made it one of my favorite features of the Breakaway Class.

True, but this is not the case for Breakaway/Getaway. They have a helipad on the bow and further aft in front of the superstructure is an outdoor bar for the crew. Not many crew members ever use the pools/jacuzzis on the ships fitted with them, but this crew bar seems to get a lot of business. You could hear them partying away during our overnights in Bermuda. I love knowing that the crew, despite their difficult jobs and lifestyles, still have the ability to enjoy themselves, so I couldn't help but smile whenever I heard their merriment drift across Breakaway's open decks. The faint, almost otherworldly sound of laughter and good times that emanated from this bar made it one of my favorite features of the Breakaway Class.

If you've read any of the "life on a cruise ship" books by former crew members, you'll find that there's a lot of drinking and partying going on with some of the crew...after all, that's about their only form or R&R. More power to them if they can find the energy after the long days they put in! Guess that's what youth is all about, right? I vaguely remember....

If you've read any of the "life on a cruise ship" books by former crew members, you'll find that there's a lot of drinking and partying going on with some of the crew...after all, that's about their only form or R&R. More power to them if they can find the energy after the long days they put in! Guess that's what youth is all about, right? I vaguely remember....

I have read many such books about shipboard crew life, and consider myself lucky to count many current/ex crew members amongst my group of friends. I've always found the history of shipboard life to be an interesting subject. Crew aboard ships have often followed a different set of social mores while at sea, which has led to the development of quite unique and complex relationships and institutions over the years. Anyway, I enjoy this outdoor crew bar because it provides a small glimpse into what is very much a hidden world. On other ships they are exclusively buried deep within the hull, far beyond the observation of any passengers. It is unusual that Breakaway/Getaway has one (quite literally given their location on the bow) front and center.

I just wish NCL would open up the helepad like a lot of RCCL ships. My first experience with Royal was last year and I loved being up on the bow. Went there a number of times on the trip.

Glad to here the crew has a an area to enjoy though. Been on 4 different NCL trips and only saw one where the crew was out sunning/swimming in the pool area for them.

Neil

Been on 4 different NCL trips and only saw one where the crew was out sunning/swimming in the pool area for them.

I read somewhere that the crew doesn't tend to frequent the bow area due to it being within full view of the bridge.

I read somewhere that the crew doesn't tend to frequent the bow area due to it being within full view of the bridge.

With the exception of Pride of America, the area is visible from the bridge on most ships in NCL's fleet. Photo below was taken aboard Jade several years ago. I've heard the same, but I have a feeling there are other issues as well. The bow is generally a very windy area during sea days. In the morning some crew do yoga up here (the woman in the photo is carrying a rolled up yoga mat in her hand) and I've also seen sunbathers and occasionally one or two in the pool/jacuzzis. Never more than a handful at a time though.

L1140867.jpg.a539c3501c9d41ebba34e14c9351edf1.jpg

Will were at it, can someone describe what is the extents of the Waterfront promenade? those is circle completly around the ship? can we walk also at the Aft and see the wake? are there places to sit down and enjoy the view without needing a reastaurant reservation?

I loved the Promenade at the Disney ships and that was on of my favorite place to hang out and wanted to know if it's the same on the breakaway/gateway

Pics would be much appreciated!

Dukemstr

Will were at it, can someone describe what is the extents of the Waterfront promenade? those is circle completly around the ship? can we walk also at the Aft and see the wake? are there places to sit down and enjoy the view without needing a reastaurant reservation?

I loved the Promenade at the Disney ships and that was on of my favorite place to hang out and wanted to know if it's the same on the breakaway/gateway

Pics would be much appreciated!

Dukemstr

The Waterfront does not completely wraparound the ship. You can see that the Waterfront, the large white overhang directly above the lifeboats, ends above the fast rescue craft (1st photo). At this forward end you have to cross through the interior to get from port to starboard and vice versa. The Waterfront does, however, wrap around the stern (2nd photo). You can get a nice view of the ship's wake from here (3rd photo). There are even these glass cutouts that give you a unusual view of the frothing sea below (4th photo). Many of the ship's bars and lounges have outdoor seating on the Waterfront, so there's definitely free seating to enjoy the view (5th photo).

DSC_4738.jpg.c67e4637e7fdd119f61a58842e2e5a87.jpg

DSC_6148.jpg.57690b4d079b47dff320f98bead5baa4.jpg

DSC_9914.jpg.a63efc770e32eac7b3698268c9eb709f.jpg

DSC_1880.jpg.94de7bc20edb74c539f8de2026ab1080.jpg

DSC_5638.jpg.941e4f8361dcd50aa3188941dcb494a0.jpg