NCL Breakaway BX balcony cabin. Did we make the right choice?

BBmommy

This is my family's (husband and two kids) first cruise and we booked NCL Breakaway's lowest balcony category BX8710. At first we thought we lucked out in finding such a steal but after some thinking we aren't sure why this price is so low compared to the other balcony categories. We know that the location could be a factor but the price is still too low compared to other balconies at the forward of the ship. If anyone knows any information regarding this room please let us know as we are unsure if we made the right choice. Thanks!

This is my family's (husband and two kids) first cruise and we booked NCL Breakaway's lowest balcony category BX8710. At first we thought we lucked out in finding such a steal but after some thinking we aren't sure why this price is so low compared to the other balcony categories. We know that the location could be a factor but the price is still too low compared to other balconies at the forward of the ship. If anyone knows any information regarding this room please let us know as we are unsure if we made the right choice. Thanks!

The reason why the price was so low is because you got it on a travel zoo rate. Its a great cabin, great value! You will have a great time.

NCL's board is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

It's not that we don't want to answer questions -- but I'm sure there are many members that do not keep up with the 'general' boards but only their favorite line(s) board + maybe roll calls.

Breakaway is a new ship and Cruise Critic members make up a small fraction of passengers, and then probably a minority (well, surely a minority) ever write reviews and fewer review their cabins. The only cabin reviews for BX category are for higher decks (there are only three of them!) and the obstruction is probably something different in those and I didn't see that they mention it anyway. Because only the two forward-most staterooms on deck 8 are BX, I'm guessing it's something like window-washing apparatus and not a fully-blocking lifeboat or similar!

https://www.google.com/search?q=cruise+obstructed+by+window+washing+equipment&client=firefox-a&hs=Jgw&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=dhnoUqf9FMjH2QWG8YGABQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1069&bih=462

Sometimes the obstruction is even BELOW the balcony, keeping you from looking down at the water but not affecting looking out!

Consider coming back to CC after your cruise and submitting a review (even a short one on the cabin and little else) to improve the help to future pax in your place!

Edited by crystalspin

I got questioning this some more and figured it out for you!

Your obstruction is not an obstruction, but the fact that your balcony is a sort of "hull balcony". Instead of glass below the railing, the hull itself comes up midway over some or all of your balcony. It's the very rightmost lowest balcony, to the right of Saturn in this photo:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/Norwegian_Breakaway_44.JPG

The forward corner may be even more cut off, and you won't see the waves much if at all from sitting down on the balcony, but you will get full daylight and be able to see everything from standing, and the room itself will be nice and big, according to the deckplan:

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/breakaway/decks/2/8#tab_detail

ETA, also little foot-traffic past your doorway, plus the balcony may even be somewhat sheltered wind-wise, when you are sitting. Maybe.

Anyway BALCONY!!!

Edited by crystalspin

I got questioning this some more and figured it out for you!

Your obstruction is not an obstruction, but the fact that your balcony is a sort of "hull balcony". Instead of glass below the railing, the hull itself comes up midway over some or all of your balcony. It's the very rightmost lowest balcony, to the right of Saturn in this photo:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/Norwegian_Breakaway_44.JPG

The forward corner may be even more cut off, and you won't see the waves much if at all from sitting down on the balcony, but you will get full daylight and be able to see everything from standing, and the room itself will be nice and big, according to the deckplan:

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/breakaway/decks/2/8#tab_detail

ETA, also little foot-traffic past your doorway, plus the balcony may even be somewhat sheltered wind-wise, when you are sitting. Maybe.

Anyway BALCONY!!!

Actually, the bottom half is glass, not metal, other than a slight upward curve at the front edge. Here is a photo taken by Andreas Depping of the same area on the other side of the ship. It was taken while the ship was under construction and the glass panels were being installed. As on the other side, it is directly above the painting of Saturn on the hull.

Keep in mind that a cabin that far forward may feel the up and down movement of the ship if it is plowing through large waves.

Norwegian_Breakaway_4801.jpg

Edited by boogs

OIC, in the photo I posted the link to -- I was seeing the curve of the painted hull as being the bannister/guard rail, not separated from it, as your pic clearly shows.

Still, even though the occupant could see through the glass, the hull would interfere with seeing the water AND to the front of the ship, I guess.

You are definitely correct!

Edited by crystalspin

OIC, in the photo I posted the link to -- I was seeing the curve of the painted hull as being the bannister/guard rail, not separated from it, as your pic clearly shows.

Still, even though the occupant could see through the glass, the hull would interfere with seeing the water AND to the front of the ship, I guess.

You are definitely correct!

That is because this set of staterooms have extra deep balconies, which the OP will certainly be happy about! What looked like hull blocking the lower half of the balcony was due to the angle of the photo you referenced. Here is an aerial photo that shows how much further out these balconies extend than the majority.

Norwegian-Breakaway-Successfully-Completes-Sea-Trials.jpg

Edited by boogs

Thanks for all the feedback but my husband and I decided that we will cancel our reservation and book a BC cat room. The tipping point came when I came across a review of this particular room from a cruise critic member. I attached the review of the room for future references. We don't think the money we save is worth the headache from the severe noise especially since we are traveling with a toddler. Now that everything is set I can't wait to go on my first cruise!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1909211