Paris to Barcelona via TGV

epixx

With the new Paris to Barcelona TGV, would it be reasonable to travel from Paris to Barcelona on the day of embarkation? It looks like there's a 0715 from Paris that arrives at Barcelona Sants at 1340. Ship departs at 1700.

Although the ship departs 1700, I think everyone has to be checked in by 2 or 3 hrs before departure, which leaves no 'wiggle room'. If you like life living on the edge, go for it. Personally I'd get an earlier train...either that day or preferably, the previous day!

Simon

With the new Paris to Barcelona TGV, would it be reasonable to travel from Paris to Barcelona on the day of embarkation? It looks like there's a 0715 from Paris that arrives at Barcelona Sants at 1340. Ship departs at 1700.

Possible but I would not take the chance. What if there is a delay to the train?

For a 17:00 sailing you need to be on the ship by 15:30 at the latest. That only gives you less than 2 hours safety zone including getting from Sants station to the ship (which would probably be about 20-30 minutes by taxi).

edited to say: Sorry, I was typing as sddsddean was posting

Edited by RollieUK

• 5 months later...

Sounds doable actually. Would I do it the day off the embarkation? Nay. Too chancy. Do it the day before if scenery is the reason for the trek or you have too much luggage to take an inexpensive flight - made costly with heavy baggage fees. The train ride will be expensive but I think it would be fun the day before. I would hate having a 7:15 AM train. No greater way to ruin a night sleep worrying about over sleeping and missing the train. If you are American, you will have an especially hard time waking up at 5:30AM. To me the more sensible thing would be to do the 10AM train the day before.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I'm curious to know if anyone has tried doing this....taking the TGV from Paris to Barcelona on the day of embarkation.

If you are thinking about doing it, read this first http://www.seat61.com/Paris-to-Barcelona-by-TGV-train.htm#Paris_-_Barcelona_TGV_Timetable

especially the bit about splitting tickets...could save you over 40% of the price. Its all worth reading...Mark knows his stuff!

We went on the overnight Elipsos train 6 years ago, but I see this has now been taken out of service as the TGV has replaced it.

Simon

Edited by sddsddean

If you are thinking about doing it, read this first http://www.seat61.com/Paris-to-Barcelona-by-TGV-train.htm#Paris_-_Barcelona_TGV_Timetable

especially the bit about splitting tickets...could save you over 40% of the price. Its all worth reading...Mark knows his stuff!

We went on the overnight Elipsos train 6 years ago, but I see this has now been taken out of service as the TGV has replaced it.

Simon

Wow, this has great info, thanks! He actually has info on how to do it overnight. It seems less riskier as it would have us arriving 2 hours earlier. It may be a bit painful to do with two kids though.....