Ruby Jan. cruises-some comments

vandalayceo

Background-Had just finished cruise a 21 day cruise out of Singapore Nov. 15, looked for what available for 2014 that offered new ports.

Found new 27 day Japanese cruise really intriguing, also incredibly good price. Booked it.

Late Nov., through Cruise Critic became aware of “free cruises!”.

Booked 5 cruises, $2500(Cdn.), $2300 of which we get back as a future cruise credit-all I was doing is prepaying the Japanese cruise, a no brainer.

DW was totally impressed, (a first), she would live on a Princess Ship if she could.

Only issue is what would 2 -4 day, 3- 5 day cruises be like, we haven’t taken a cruise shorter than 10 days since our first one 24 cruises ago.

With that intro, a few observations of 5 back to back cruises on the Ruby, Jan. 8 to Feb. 1.

If they do the promotion again next Jan. (Caribbean Princess) we’re in!! Will be watching like a hawk to see if they do the same deal.-Do we care that the ports -Princess Cays, Cozumel, Grand Turk and Grand Cayman, are repeated and are not that exciting. Not at all. Of 9 possible port calls (not inc. Ft. Lauderdale) we got off 3 times.

Otherwise treated those days like sea days, no competition for loungers.

Turn around days in Ft. Lauderdale (4 Times) were not at all inconvenient-, took about 1 ½ hours, almost became fun to watch people leaving, and new ones coming on board, and knowing we did not have to go through all the procedures, including muster.

Amazed how many people on the cruise were not aware they were getting a “free cruise”. Every night at Crooners I would educate at least one couple.

We were curious how the passengers would be different from what we were used to on longer Princess cruises.

Overall, the demographic seemed to be somewhat younger, but not exceedingly so.

There were also it seemed a high proportion of elderly (65+) passengers all of which were from Florida, taking advantage of last minute deals.

As Elites, we were amazed by the amount of free alcohol we got-

Elite bar set up ,each cruise-

-5 times 8 50 ml alcohol bottles=2 liters.

-5 times 2 beers=10 beers

-4 complimentary bottles of wine, not sure why, asked the Captains Circle rep-she had no reason why.

-the two 4 day cruises didn’t have a Captain Circles party so they gave out 2 drink tickets each time.

My bar bill was actually something reasonable.

The only negative- the menu in the dining room was repeated (exactly!!!) every trip-

We like many of the “standards” of the Princess menu but we were really struggling to find something we wanted by the end of the trip.

So let me see, 23 days floating around the Caribbean on a Princess Ship for 23 days (for effectively free) or sitting in a snow bank-DUH!!

As a last bonus, the last cruise, we got the invite for “40 most travelled”- our first time.

We were somewhat concerned what the situation would be like-would we have to mingle? We have no problem with other people, but we are only interested in each other on our cruises-it is the Love Boat after all.

Our opinion of the function-fantastic!!

Thank you Princess, you really do make that achievement feel incredibly special through the function-well done.

Now DW will not be totally content if we cannot repeat.

I’m counting on the fact that the Japanese cruises are new and focussed on new Japanese cruisers, so we may have a shot in September.

Anyway, we’ve never been disappointed by a Princess cruise, and this was just another one that had most of the same things we look forward to, and some new experiences.

We did a 4 day on the Sapphire for the same reason and loved it albeit way too short! Now, our cruise to Mexico is almost paid for.

I've been reading reviews. By people who say that they will forego their credit because they were so unhappy with the Ruby!

Thank you for posting your comments!

We did a 4 day on the Sapphire for the same reason and loved it albeit way too short! Now, our cruise to Mexico is almost paid for.

I've been reading reviews. By people who say that they will forego their credit because they were so unhappy with the Ruby!

Thank you for posting your comments!

Where did you see those reviews.?? I loved my b2b2b2b on the Ruby last month.

Where did you see those reviews.?? I loved my b2b2b2b on the Ruby last month.

There were a few negative reviews in the ast couple of weeks, mostly from first-time Princess cruisers, one of which complained about not being able to get free coffee other than at the buffet or having to buy a coffee card which he refused to do.

I also think that those negative opinions were due to not doing any research... They also complained about anytime dining..

Thanks for posting your comments. We enjoyed our back-to-back cruises on the Ruby in December (even though both of them, in spite of what the cruise director said, were not part of the free promotion). Since we had Christmas with a special menu during the first cruise, we did not have a repeat of that menu. On our second cruise, there was another night when the menu was different from what we had on the first.

I'm even thinking about booking a five-night cruise on the Ruby for DH's spring break next month. The prices are down and I may be able to get us affordable airfare. It will be the cruise that earns us Elite status.