Handicap questions

moorerf

I am boarding the crown in port everglades this saturday. I am traveling with my 83 year old mother and have reserved a princess wheelchair for embarkation/disembarkation. Where do you go to get the wheelchair when you arrive at the terminal?? Do they priority you through check in or do you wait in line with others for check in and boarding??? When do you board the ship?? Does a princess rep push or will i be expected to push the wheelchair?? Thanks this is my first experience with this. We are in a handicap cabin on aloha deck and have rented a transport chair for the week which is to be in the cabin...:) On this same line, if seas are ok will she be able to take the transport chair and take the tender to princess cays??? With assistance she can walk on and off the tender but will need chair to get her to the tender and on the island...Thanks again....

It has been my experience that as soon as you get to the port and see a Princess Rep ask them to get your mother a wheelchair..she will be able to sit in it until you board and someone from the ship will usually take you right to your cabin(and leave with the w/c)

I bring my own chair now, but I have only seen folding w/c on the tenders, but you can ask once you are on board about using the transport chair on Princess

Cay.

Have a great cruise.

My DH uses a scooter and we have always been given preferential boarding. Even before the scooters a W/C was available with an assistant who took us right to the cabin and again little waiting in line. Hope you and your Mom have a great cruise:):)

When disembarking there will be a designated are for passengers needing wheelchairs. When your time is called, a crew member will wheel you off the ship to the terminal where a Princess staff member takes over wheeling you to the front of the custom line and out of the terminal. If you are taking a cab, they will wheel you right to the taxi area. Princess is very, very good with their wheelchair assistance.

I travel with my 88 year old mom. We take her transport chair every where we go including tenders. They are very good at helping her board the tender then taking her chair. Even though my brother pushes her they still insist on one of the crew wheeling her on and off the ship. Never had a problem.

Thanks for the encouraging responses....I feel better and know this will be a special time together for mom and I. Years ago when my Dad was alive I went on a RCCL cruise with them to assist as he needed a wheelchair at times. I had to push the chair up the boarding ramp myself and it was quite a strain. So glad Princess is more accomodating. This is my 4th princess cruise but first in a handicap cabin and with mom.

My wife has walking difficulties and sometimes uses a wheelchair for embarkation and disembarkation. As soon as you get to the terminal, tell the first Princess representative you see that you need a wheelchair. A Princess representative will push the chair bypassing the security and check-in lines.

Disabled in wheelchairs usually get priority boarding at embarkation. I believe the last time the order was:

1. Suite and Elite
  2. Wheelchairs
  3. Platinum
  4. Everyone else

Princess crew will push the chair onto the ship. The exact order depends on the availability of the assistance crew. Sometimes the wheelchairs are a little later if the pushers are not there when they start boarding.

They will load small wheelchairs on the tenders, and they will help your mother get on and off the tender.

My wife has walking difficulties and sometimes uses a wheelchair for embarkation and disembarkation. As soon as you get to the terminal, tell the first Princess representative you see that you need a wheelchair. A Princess representative will push the chair bypassing the security and check-in lines.

Disabled in wheelchairs usually get priority boarding at embarkation. I believe the last time the order was:

1. Suite and Elite
  2. Wheelchairs
  3. Platinum
  4. Everyone else

Princess crew will push the chair onto the ship. The exact order depends on the availability of the assistance crew. Sometimes the wheelchairs are a little later if the pushers are not there when they start boarding.

They will load small wheelchairs on the tenders, and they will help your mother get on and off the tender.

thanks, my husband is an army veteran, we like the automatic OBC for military that Princess gives...:)