If somebody missed the ship

sonnenstrahl

Hopefully it's not a transatlantic! :o

Omg too funny! Thank you!

Last night I looked at videos on YouTube of pax being left behind. I get nervous if I'm not back ATLEASTTTTT an hour early. Accidents happen and that extra time to me is better spent onboard taking a quick snooze before new plans for the evening.

And if YOU are the one running for the boat... Yes we all point, stare, and laugh at your foolishness. Sorry. (If its not your fault I will think of you in my nighttime prayers and apologize!)

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Over the last few years airlines have cut back on the number of flights and the remaining flights often are packed full. If a flight gets cancelled for any reason, it can be days before everybody on that flight can find space available to get to their destimations.

So sometimes someone scheduled to fly in a day or two in advance of a cruise can have the flight cancelled and still not make the ship even though planes are flying the next day.

Make sure you copy the phone number for the Port Agent for each port. Their name and phone number is usually published in the daily handouts for that specific port listed under Port Agent. He/she is the ship's contact at each port. Usually they are stationed on the pier and wait until the ship departs.

I once opted for a dirt cheap travel professional rate on a cruise from New York to Bermuda. To continue on the dirt cheap path I opted for a same day flight (all other cruises we've gone in at least a day early) from the upper Midwest to NYC. This was a first and hopefully last time for such foolishness.

It was June, and storms on the east coast the previous evening grounded flights and the planes did not make it to our airport for morning departures. When I received notice that our flight had been cancelled at about 7 p.m. I went into problem resolution mode. I entertained all sorts of alternative modes of travel including driving (aprx 16hrs). Finally about 2:00 a.m. I was able to obtain an early flight which gave me about 2hrs of shuteye before driving 2hrs to the airport. Call me cheap, stupid or both as all are applicable. We did end up having a very nice "dirt cheap" vacation... but hopefully I learned my lesson.

Even when I was working two full time jobs concurrently, I always made sure I either took a late night flight the night before and stayed overnight or I took another day. While bad weather is worse at some times of the year, it can happen at any time plus most flights from even warm-weather airports such as LAX can experience fog or the plane coming in is delayed by weather elsewhere. After being caught in a surprise snowstorm years ago that closed every airport between Atlanta and Boston for over 24 hours, I leave as little to chance as possible. That cruise, I was flying in a day before the cruise and still not only missed sailaway but had to fly to Martinique the next day to catch up with the ship.

I think LAX was closed for a few hours the other morning due to fog.