Issues with gluten-free dining

I was thinking the same thing because I recently researched this and there is no proof that the general public benefits from this diet. Also, there is even gluten in toothpaste so going completely gluten free is expensive as well as difficult.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/going-gluten-free-just-because-heres-what-you-need-to-know-201302205916

in toothpaste, in makeup, in lipstick, in advil, in some prescription drugs and the list goes on. If you have celiacs, you learn to research everything. My daughter does have it. If she ingests any gluten, in any amount, she feels like she has eaten glass (her words) for about 2 days. She is unwell for about 7-10 days total. One of her pet peeves is people who claim they must eat GF and then say it really doesn't matter - "I think I'll have that piece of cake!" That does confuse restaurant workers and they may not be as diligent as they could be if they constantly run into people who are into the latest diet fad.

And Norbert's Niece is absolutely correct - you don't have to have celiacs to be 'allergic' to gluten. Something like 10% of the population have a gluten sensitivity. Some are very sensitive, other just slightly.

IMHO, I don't think that the OP has a complaint. You told them you had to eat GF and they accommodated you - and RCL does GF very well!

RCL takes gluten free very seriously. They have a separate area of the kitchen where all gluten free meals are prepared and they are very careful about cross contamination.

Edited by MS52

I do not mean to diminish the suffering that people with celiac have to endure but I know that when I now eat a non-gf meal, I do not feel well.

The two issues are the treatment we received and the menu.

We did not ever say that we are celiac, nor that gf foods were a medical necessity and we weren't asked. If so, we would have simply said that it is a choice we have made, we feel better when eating gf foods and would choose to eat gf options where available. However, we were immediately given no choice. Would they have done the same for someone who chooses a vegetarian diet because they too feel better? My feeling is that most vegetarians are so by choice (although my co-worker has an allergy to meat proteins and for her, vegetarianism is not a choice). All they needed to do was to ask if our choice was a medical necessity or just a choice: a choice could be accommodated by choosing gf selections from the menu.

The other issue is with the advanced menu. Unlike the regular menu, it did not identify selections that were gf, lactose-free, etc. so we naturally assumed that any choice we made could be provided gf. We learned that this was not the case and sometimes, our choices were overrided or, in two cases, provided in a substandard fashion (the battered fish and chips became over-fried fish and baked potato). If not all menu choices could be provided gf, why did the advance menu not identify gf (and other dietary restrictions) so we could make an educated choice? Why go to the trouble of even providing an advance menu when the main menu identified selections that were gf without modification and therefore, by selecting one of those, our gf needs would have been satisfied and no modifications (= time and effort on the part of the chef and waiting staff) of the selections would be necessary?

In response to the person who suggested that taking gf foods from a limited supply, you might want to direct your comment to the waiters who gave us each, not 1 or 2 pieces of gf bread but 3 and 4 pieces: we rarely ate a second piece each.

This whole issue could have been handled much better by simply asking us if gf was a medical necessity to which we would have replied, No, we'll make gf choices from the menu but would appreciate gf bread (I couldn't have guessed that they would give us so much, they only offered regular bread twice to the other diners around us).

Another option if you don't have celiac, is to just take enzymes that will break down gluten. So if you know that a meal has a small amount of breading, etc. just follow it with the right enzymes so you can enjoy a 'regular' meal once in a while on vacation.

I do not mean to diminish the suffering that people with celiac have to endure but I know that when I now eat a non-gf meal, I do not feel well.

The two issues are the treatment we received and the menu.

We did not ever say that we are celiac, nor that gf foods were a medical necessity and we weren't asked. If so, we would have simply said that it is a choice we have made, we feel better when eating gf foods and would choose to eat gf options where available. However, we were immediately given no choice. Would they have done the same for someone who chooses a vegetarian diet because they too feel better? My feeling is that most vegetarians are so by choice (although my co-worker has an allergy to meat proteins and for her, vegetarianism is not a choice). All they needed to do was to ask if our choice was a medical necessity or just a choice: a choice could be accommodated by choosing gf selections from the menu.

The other issue is with the advanced menu. Unlike the regular menu, it did not identify selections that were gf, lactose-free, etc. so we naturally assumed that any choice we made could be provided gf. We learned that this was not the case and sometimes, our choices were overrided or, in two cases, provided in a substandard fashion (the battered fish and chips became over-fried fish and baked potato). If not all menu choices could be provided gf, why did the advance menu not identify gf (and other dietary restrictions) so we could make an educated choice? Why go to the trouble of even providing an advance menu when the main menu identified selections that were gf without modification and therefore, by selecting one of those, our gf needs would have been satisfied and no modifications (= time and effort on the part of the chef and waiting staff) of the selections would be necessary?

Your main complaint seems to be that the "advanced menu" GF accommodations didn't "taste good enough" and that after making them go through all the effort of accommodating you with the "advanced menu" that they should have been willing to provide gluten-containing items on demand at your whim.

First, you had no right to the GF "advanced menu" in the first place, since for you GF is "when I feel like it."

Second, you're pretty damn presumptuous! "We don't need GF, but we want it, including the "advanced menu" items provided to those with medical necessity - well, except when we decide we don't want it."

"Oh, by the way, we're also going to whine because those advanced menu items prepared for those who have a medical requirement for them don't taste good enough!"

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

if you need a special diet maybe you should consider if cruising is the right option for you.

let's see I could have fish and chip or I could think I would like it GF and then whine about it being GF.

can't imagine the stories some of the crew have about the nut cases that cruise I'll bet friends and family back home can't believe most of it.

Edited by Sherlock43031

Unless you have Celiac disease, there is NO BENEFICIAL reason for being on this diet.....as a matter of fact....there are more calories, fat....etc. ....in a Glutton free diet. This is the FAD of 2012 to present date that people think is beneficial...I am sooooo tired of hearing about it. ONLY 1% OF THE COUNTRY HAS CELIAC DISEASE. .

What a weird thing to get so mad about. Are you a doctor or nutritionist? Maybe some other medical professional? If not, settle down.

.........This whole issue could have been handled much better by simply asking us if gf was a medical necessity to which we would have replied.

Should they be taking a medical history on the first night or is this something that might be beyond their job description? I'm fairly certain that they don't have any right to ask you if something is medically neccesary. :rolleyes:

Edited by MS52

My husband does not have celiac disease, but he is moderately allergic to wheat, so he often chooses gluten free options because they're guaranteed to be wheat free as well. He's looking forward to the gluten free options on the ship. His symptoms are similar to what someone else here described -- bloating and itching. It's not like we have to rush him to the hospital every time he ingests wheat, but if he can avoid it, he does. Since this seems to be a hot topic and my husband is in a similar situation (i.e. it's not strictly "medically necessary"), I'll try to remember to report back about our experience after our Allure cruise in May.

My daughter eats a gluten free diet. She was born hypothyroid and has had digestive issues her whole life. We tried all kinds of dietary options to help her feel better and gluten free seems to work the best for her. She can handle a little bit, but a piece of regular bread really causes her digestive distress. So she will do things like order a piece of cheese cake, but leave the crust, or order a sandwich, but only eat the insides.... I'm not sure if we should mark her as gluten free or not? If there is a rice or potato option, she usually just chooses that over noodles. If there is breading on chicken or fish, she just peels it off and eats the meat.

What's your opinion?

My daughter eats a gluten free diet. She was born hypothyroid and has had digestive issues her whole life. We tried all kinds of dietary options to help her feel better and gluten free seems to work the best for her. She can handle a little bit, but a piece of regular bread really causes her digestive distress. So she will do things like order a piece of cheese cake, but leave the crust, or order a sandwich, but only eat the insides.... I'm not sure if we should mark her as gluten free or not? If there is a rice or potato option, she usually just chooses that over noodles. If there is breading on chicken or fish, she just peels it off and eats the meat.

What's your opinion?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

JMO but I would definitely advise them of her GF needs. There is a lot of hidden gluten in dishes (mashed potatoes for example....) How old is she?

What's your opinion?

Based on what I've seen in this thread, I'd say it comes down to this question. Would your daughter be most comfortable - and prefer - to be served a true gluten-free diet throughout the cruise, or would she prefer to be able to "cheat" and eat items knowingly containing gluten sometimes, because she just wants it right then?

If the former, then mark her as gluten free and RCI will do a very good job of seeing that she's served a true gluten-free diet throughout the cruise.

If the latter, than don't mark her that way, she can order items from the regular menu marked "GF" and peel off the breading, eat around the crust of regular items she desires as you mentioned.

Just don't mark her as GF and then have her upset when they won't serve her gluten-laden items when she asks for them.

Edited by LetsGetWet!

Based on what I've seen in this thread, I'd say it comes down to this question. Would your daughter be most comfortable - and prefer - to be served a true gluten-free diet throughout the cruise, or would she prefer to be able to "cheat" and eat items knowingly containing gluten sometimes, because she just wants it right then?

If the former, then mark her as gluten free and RCI will do a very good job of seeing that she's served a true gluten-free diet throughout the cruise.

If the latter, than don't mark her that way, she can order items from the regular menu marked "GF" and peel off the breading, eat around the crust of regular items she desires as you mentioned.

Just don't mark her as GF and then have her upset when they won't serve her gluten-laden items when she asks for them.

That's a sensible idea however the items that are marked GF are not prepared GF for all.... on specific request they are created with no gluten in the sauces / gravies for example or hidden in any veggies.... some meat / fish is coated in flour prior to searing. Items such as the BBB dessert could be eaten however and the breadstick cast aside. Chocolate, for example, can contain gluten.. you learn to read labels.... :)

That's a sensible idea however the items that are marked GF are not prepared GF for all.... on specific request they are created with no gluten in the sauces / gravies for example or hidden in any veggies.... some meat / fish is coated in flour prior to searing. Items such as the BBB dessert could be eaten however and the breadstick cast aside. Chocolate, for example, can contain gluten.. you learn to read labels.... :)

Oh, I'm sure you learn to read labels very carefully and learn a lot of other things too! But if I'm not mistaken, if there's something with the GF mark on the menu, then they're fully prepared to provide that item GF on request - probably because on any given ship/meal there will be a number of people ordering it? But if you wait and order it rather than marking her GF in advance, then she's free to order non-GF items when she wants to also, without causing much confusion for the staff.

People who request gluten free but then want to eat gluten give the rest of us a black eye - it makes us look like we all can "cheat" if we want to. I'm celiac, I can't cheat even though I dearly want to sometimes. If you just prefer gluten free, then don't mark that as a NEED on your form ahead of time and just select items that are gluten free and save the GF options for those of us who truly do NEED it.

^^^^Exactly. My son has life-threatening food allergies. As an infant and preschooler he was allergic to wheat, barely, and rye, the gluten containing grains. He had anaphylactic reactions to these grains. He is still ANA to peanuts, eggs, and some tree nuts. Every time someone has a dietary restriction similar to his, but is able to "cheat" on it, people begin to question the severity of his allergies. He absolutely cannot cheat, and there have been many times where he was served an unseasoned chicken breast and broccoli for dinner and had to make do with it because chefs didn't have the time, knowledge or inclination to make him something special. The food allergy/intolerant lifestyle is not something I'd wish upon anyone. So, if you don't NEED to be gluten free, please don't be. It makes it harder for the rest of us.

Oh, I'm sure you learn to read labels very carefully and learn a lot of other things too! But if I'm not mistaken, if there's something with the GF mark on the menu, then they're fully prepared to provide that item GF on request - probably because on any given ship/meal there will be a number of people ordering it? But if you wait and order it rather than marking her GF in advance, then she's free to order non-GF items when she wants to also, without causing much confusion for the staff.

They prefer to have the order in advance..... to cook everything fresh on the spot is a tall order.... some dishes will take a deal of preparation eg roasted meats. I've pre-ordered a dish GF and my neighbour has ordered the same dish off the menu..... they look similar but the colouring is different too....

Last trip they would bring me sushi from WJ to the MDR instead of bread.... I had to educate them that soy sauce isn't necessarily GF..... they brought me the bottle and sure enough it wasn't!

I do have celiac disease and will be cruising on IOS in two weeks. I have informed them that I require a gluten free diet. This is not an easy diet (was diagnosed 9 years ago) and I do miss some things...a really good slice of pizza, desserts, milk, etc. However, it is my responsibility to alert the servers and to watch what I eat. I would not "just remove the batter" as the fish would be cooked with "the battered fish" and thus contaminate my food which can cause problems just as if I had eaten battered fish. My diet is boring at times, but it is what it is: an autoimmune disease that I must deal with on a daily basis.

I am looking forward to the cruise and I will do the best that I can to ensure that my meals are appropriate for me.

I do have celiac disease and will be cruising on IOS in two weeks. I have informed them that I require a gluten free diet. This is not an easy diet (was diagnosed 9 years ago) and I do miss some things...a really good slice of pizza, desserts, milk, etc. However, it is my responsibility to alert the servers and to watch what I eat. I would not "just remove the batter" as the fish would be cooked with "the battered fish" and thus contaminate my food which can cause problems just as if I had eaten battered fish. My diet is boring at times, but it is what it is: an autoimmune disease that I must deal with on a daily basis.

I am looking forward to the cruise and I will do the best that I can to ensure that my meals are appropriate for me.

Why can't you have milk on a gluten free diet? My DD was diagnosed with celiac disease 6 months ago and we are still learning.

Enjoy your cruise. Although I think the RCL is the best when it comes to providing for GF meals, you still need to be proactive and look after yourself. My daughter is celiac and last month we cruised. Our assistant waiter would always try to sauce her dishes automatically (cocktail sauce for shrimp for instance). She put her hand over the dish and asked if it was GF. He checked and it was not.

There were several small incidents. You just have to be aware and kindly speak up.

We ate at three specialty restaurants on the cruise. She went to see them beforehand, explained that she must eat GF and they were happy to accomodate her.

It gets to be a pain sometimes but you do what you have to do to keep from getting dosed.

(and peeling breading off of fish or eating everything but the crust is in no way eating Gluten free - as someone said, that's what makes it hard for those who have to.)

So, if you don't NEED to be gluten free, please don't be. It makes it harder for the rest of us.

So let me see if I understand you. Because I am intolerant to gluten and eating products containing it give me GI issues on which I'd rather not elaborate, I am somehow harming celiacs? I understand what a difficult life it is to maintain. My daughter's close friend is celiac. I fed her in my home many times. I was insanely careful, and most of the gf products that are around today were not a short time ago. I know I am lucky that I don't have to worry about cross contamination or small amounts of gluten but I don't understand why this upsets you so.

I try to not even say the word gluten so I don't confuse the staff. I ask what is in things and make decisions on what I can have. I have educated myself to eat without making myself ill and without making restaurant staff make a huge fuss over me.

For those that are worried that we that that don't NEED to be gluten free are going to eat all your gf bread, pasta, pizza, etc, don't. I don't like fake food and happily go without. I am overall much healthier without all the while flour.

So let me see if I understand you. Because I am intolerant to gluten and eating products containing it give me GI issues on which I'd rather not elaborate, I am somehow harming celiacs?

Amen to this. As difficult and frustrating as it's been for my husband to eat wheat-free as much as possible because of his moderate allergy, I can only imagine how hard it must be for celiacs to go completely GF with no exceptions. Truly, my heart goes out to you guys. But does that mean my husband is going to be miserable on vacation? Nope. He'll eat wheat-free as much as possible.

There is no doubt that some people have medical reasons for eating a gluten free diet. There is also no doubt it's become a popular fad and many people who have no reason to are going "gluten free" for no good reason.

http://www.livescience.com/36863-gluten-free-diet-healthy.html

Actually, there are plenty of good reason to choose going gluten free one of which is to eliminate highly processed foods from one's diet. I avoid gluten in it's highly processed form as well as sugar and the GF free versions of highly processed foods. That means I'm not eating bread except that made from sprouted whole grains, or cookies, cake, crackers, pasta etc.

I wouldn't be eating GF versions of things like bread, pasta, desserts so I don't see how my diet choice would impact someone restricted for medical reasons.

I do not have to be gluten free but a gluten free diet does prove to make me feel MUCH better and help with my digestion. As a Dietician I can say that a gluten free diet IS NOT necessarily healthier but in some cases it can be. You can be gluten free and eat more whole food items and it turn out to be healthier. It is when you start eating all the processed GL items and breads that it is not healthier. But if one chooses to eat a particular way and states it prior to sailing it is their choice. Thanks for the info though! Good to know!