Cellphone Service in Alaska

Yo Adrienne

We will be cruising in May 2014 in Alaska with stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka, Icy Strait Point, and Skagway...and I'm wondering about current cellphone coverage in these ports. We are Verizon customers (on their monthly share everything plan) and are wondering if we will have cellphone service IN the ports. Coverage maps are a bit unclear and we know that any service we do have there may be through their roaming partners (but my understanding is that there would be no roaming charges anyway because of the way the plans are structured these days.

We know NOT to use the wifi and internet services on the ship--cause they're very expensive.

Not that we want to spend a lot of time on the phone, nor surfing the web, but just in case we needed to reach someone or they needed to reach us, can we expect to have service in these ports...?

I've done searches through the forums here, but much of the information is 1-2 years old at least--so a lot has changed since then.

Any and all info/thoughts are appreciated...

We will be cruising in May 2014 in Alaska with stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka, Icy Strait Point, and Skagway...and I'm wondering about current cellphone coverage in these ports. We are Verizon customers (on their monthly share everything plan) and are wondering if we will have cellphone service IN the ports. Coverage maps are a bit unclear and we know that any service we do have there may be through their roaming partners (but my understanding is that there would be no roaming charges anyway because of the way the plans are structured these days.

We know NOT to use the wifi and internet services on the ship--cause they're very expensive.

Not that we want to spend a lot of time on the phone, nor surfing the web, but just in case we needed to reach someone or they needed to reach us, can we expect to have service in these ports...?

I've done searches through the forums here, but much of the information is 1-2 years old at least--so a lot has changed since then.

Any and all info/thoughts are appreciated...

You are in the US and have the same service you do anywhere else. Be aware that if you get out of town service is spotty , but in town its just like at home.