Just 15 days til we Cruise on the Magic-Roatan planning

Beachlover76

Well the time is getting closer and closer, and its time to start some major planning.

I think we are going to take a mini bus in Roatan to West End, then after looking around a bit, then do the Water taxi to West Bay.I heard its only 3 bucks one way, and about and hang out on the beach for a while. Then take the water Taxi back??

Has anyone done this ? And if so..what tips do you have?

We missed the port at Roatan, due to the wind... and it wasn't blowing very hard...:(

I had booked a private tour with Victor Boden... Carnival misses this port frequently. Victor Boden didn't take a deposit, so that he doesn't have to reimburse for all the missed excursion tours.

We missed the port at Roatan, due to the wind... and it wasn't blowing very hard...:(

I had booked a private tour with Victor Boden... Carnival misses this port frequently. Victor Boden didn't take a deposit, so that he doesn't have to reimburse for all the missed excursion tours.

What month did you cruise that you missed the port because of wind? The weather has been crazy this year. Sure hope we don't miss Roatan!! I am looking forward to this one!!

• 2 weeks later...
Well the time is getting closer and closer, and its time to start some major planning.

I think we are going to take a mini bus in Roatan to West End, then after looking around a bit, then do the Water taxi to West Bay.I heard its only 3 bucks one way, and about and hang out on the beach for a while. Then take the water Taxi back??

Hi,

I am sitting in Roatan right now and the weather is awesome.

We've stayed here several times.

Your plan is good if you want to see the west end of the island.

The water taxi is $3 each way.

You don't have a lot of time because Carnival leaves the port fairly early.

West End is a divers town & there are several good places to eat.

On the main road, above West End Divers is a restaurant called Cafe Escondido - great food.

West Bay is a pretty beach and there are bars all along it.

Bananarama has a very large bar & nice waiters.

(I hear the weather in Houston is warming up. We don't live far from Katy - just off of I-10)

Enjoy Roatan.

It is a wonderful island and the people are great.

• 2 weeks later...

Beachlover,

I'm sorry, I don't have anything to contribute to your question as I haven't been there yet, but I'm wondering if you would mind sharing why you chose the Magic. We are trying to decide between Navigator of the Seas and the Magic and I haven't gotten much help elsewhere. I'm hoping someone who has made the decision to sail on one will have some insight that might help me make a decision. I'm currently leaning toward the Magic but any info. you have might help finalize that.

Thank you!!

See my post in this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1994745

It's a bit difficult to take the mini bus then the water taxi to West End and then return to Mahogany Bay where Carnival Magic docks.

Hi,

I am sitting in Roatan right now and the weather is awesome.

We've stayed here several times.

Your plan is good if you want to see the west end of the island.

The water taxi is $3 each way.

You don't have a lot of time because Carnival leaves the port fairly early.

West End is a divers town & there are several good places to eat.

On the main road, above West End Divers is a restaurant called Cafe Escondido - great food.

West Bay is a pretty beach and there are bars all along it.

Bananarama has a very large bar & nice waiters.

(I hear the weather in Houston is warming up. We don't live far from Katy - just off of I-10)

Enjoy Roatan.

It is a wonderful island and the people are great.

We are fairly new to cruising, compared to you all. It's our 4th cruise. We live in Sugar Land.

We are heading to roaton and belize in May. first time at both ports...

So for the questions. I hope you don't mind.

Do you recommend the tubing in belize for our first time there? looking at cavetubing.bz or Charlie Chan.

For snorkling in roaton since it's our first time is french key ok?

I really would like to know how you all liked the repo cruises!??

And if you liked the panama canal. My husband thinks it would be boring? I think interesting..

We have been to Roatan 4 times , always Royal Caribbean, but we do cruise Carnival also. Mar 16 we leave on the Magic for the first time to Roatan, so I hope we don't miss the port. We prefer RCCL as we are 65 and it normally has a little older crowd. I am sure the younger folks, especially kids like Magic better, but Royal has great ice shows. As far as Roatan, never a problem docking at Coxen Hole that Royal uses.We are just more used to it and the harbor security guy I know there had told me Carnival has dredged out Mahogany before to make it easier for the ships to back in. So if you want to be sure and see Roatan, choose Royal. We will be on the Navigator in November going back to Roatan, then Costa Maya instead of Belize , and then to Cozumel. I watched the prices and got a steal on a balcony for $1265 total for both of us plus gratuities. I also am elated that Royal adopted their no balcony smoking policy.Lastly, as far as the ships, Magic has a much more modern decor and is a little harder to navigate around the decks .If you have not been to Roatan, get out and see the island. Don't stay at man made Mahogany Bay if you choose Carnival. The independent guides like Bodden and Rony's are great. Photos arriving at Coxen and overlooking Coxen..

Beachlover,

I'm sorry, I don't have anything to contribute to your question as I haven't been there yet, but I'm wondering if you would mind sharing why you chose the Magic. We are trying to decide between Navigator of the Seas and the Magic and I haven't gotten much help elsewhere. I'm hoping someone who has made the decision to sail on one will have some insight that might help me make a decision. I'm currently leaning toward the Magic but any info. you have might help finalize that.

Thank you!!

SANY1837.jpg

photo hosting sites

SANY1909.jpg

free screen capture

Edited by overthehillcruiser

I think we are going to take a mini bus in Roatan to West End, then after looking around a bit, then do the Water taxi to West Bay.I heard its only 3 bucks one way, and about and hang out on the beach for a while. Then take the water Taxi back?? To West End???

I think since you are arriving at Mahagony Bay, you need to rethink your plan. When does your ship arrive and depart? If all you want to do is hit West End and West Bay Beach, I'd cab to West Bay Beach, water taxi to West End and then cab back to Mahagony Bay. Or hit West End first and then the beach. Then cab back. Know there really isn't any set time the boats go back and forth. They are pretty much local guys that when they have enough people, they go. When you look at cab fares, you might be better off doing a beach package like offered with Bananarama who will include the rides. And then if time head to check out West End via the boat.

Since you aren't arriving in Coxen Hole, you can't pick up a local cheap bus there.

OP's original thread said 15 days till cruise and that was on Feb 7, so I guess their cruise is about over ?

Good catch. :) Hope they figured everything out and will come back to report in.