Cannes in May...beach day?

ylojerseygirl

Hi, we're going to tender in Cannes this May on the Epic and are thinking about turning this port into a beach day to recover from previous ports. Does anyone have reccommendations for beaches, beach clubs or suggest Nice over Cannes? I've looked at the weather averages and think it will be OK, but your personal experiences are MOST welcome!

Thank you in advance for your help!

There is good news and bad news. The good news is that there is a free sandy beach about a 5 min walk (towards your left) when you exit the tender. The bad news is that you might get some warm weather in May (or maybe not) but the sea water will not yet be warm enough for most folks to enjoy swimming.

Hank

Hi,

I would suggest you to go to St Juan les pins if you can.. It's not too far away and the beach is really better. :)

For an hotel with a day rate, i have no idea... I searched a little in French on google, but i haven't find anything as i was expecting. :(

Edited by frenchrci

Hi, we're going to tender in Cannes this May on the Epic and are thinking about turning this port into a beach day to recover from previous ports. Does anyone have reccommendations for beaches, beach clubs or suggest Nice over Cannes? I've looked at the weather averages and think it will be OK, but your personal experiences are MOST welcome!

Thank you in advance for your help!

At about 1.30 in this shows a beach you could go to off the Promenade de la Croisette

which is about 10-12 minutes walk from the tender dock. It has proper sand too,unlike Nice's beach strand, which is made up of pebbles/shingle

But if you decide you've had enough of the beach there's so much more to do and see in Nice. All the best, Tony

At about 1.30 in this shows a beach you could go to off the Promenade de la Croisette
which is about 10-12 minutes walk from the tender dock. It has proper sand too,unlike Nice's beach strand, which is made up of pebbles/shingle

But if you decide you've had enough of the beach there's so much more to do and see in Nice. All the best, Tony

Ahh, we knew somebody would mention that famous beach (across the street from the Carlton and some other Deluxe hotels. It is not a beach we frequent, when staying in Cannes, because the best part of it has been taken over by the hotels (and other franchises) where they charge top dollar to use a chair. The beach we mentioned (which is actually called the Plage du Midi) is very close to the tender pier, near several reasonably priced cafes, free, and sandy. We think of it as the poor tourist's beach because when we started going there we were poor :)

We do agree with the recommendation for Juan le Pins...but it is not really within walking distance unless you like a 8 mile hike.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

• 2 weeks later...

Plague du Midi is easy to reach from the tender pier and is very pleasant - nice sand and good choice of shops, cafes, restaurants nearby. No need to look further if you want an easy beach day. In Nice the beaches tend to be very pebbly.

Villefranche (for anyone there for the day) also has a pleasant, if small sandy beach within easy reach.

Ahh, we knew somebody would mention that famous beach (across the street from the Carlton and some other Deluxe hotels. It is not a beach we frequent, when staying in Cannes, because the best part of it has been taken over by the hotels (and other franchises) where they charge top dollar to use a chair. The beach we mentioned (which is actually called the Plage du Midi) is very close to the tender pier, near several reasonably priced cafes, free, and sandy. We think of it as the poor tourist's beach because when we started going there we were poor :)

We do agree with the recommendation for Juan le Pins...but it is not really within walking distance unless you like a 8 mile hike.

Hank

Hi Hank,

Could you please provide a bit more info on this free beach in Cannes. Are there chairs that we can rent? Any shades? If we want to visit the town first, then use it for an hour on the way back to the tender boat, maybe around 3pm, I wonder if it will be crowded in June? Is there a washroom there you can get changed in? Also can you walk from the tender port to the old town? I think there is a bit of an uphill walk?

Thanks.

Hi Hank,

Could you please provide a bit more info on this free beach in Cannes. Are there chairs that we can rent? Any shades? If we want to visit the town first, then use it for an hour on the way back to the tender boat, maybe around 3pm, I wonder if it will be crowded in June? Is there a washroom there you can get changed in? Also can you walk from the tender port to the old town? I think there is a bit of an uphill walk?

Thanks.

Fair questions, but since things can always change we hate to make a definitive statement on chair rentals. The last time we were on the beach (Plage du Midi) there was a chair rental outfit but I do not recall umbrellas. We have stayed in Cannes (3 times) near that beach (2 of those stays were in July) and the beach was never too crowded. I do not recall any changing rooms..although there are plenty of cafes (indoor and outdoor) within a couple of blocks that have rest rooms. If we are doing a beach day from a ship we normally wear our swimwear under coverups to avoid needed a changing facility.

And yes, it is all walkable. However, what you call the Old Town (many do not like that label) is on a sloped part of town with the lowest part being about a 10 min walk from the tender pier. If you like walking uphill (we have done it a few times) you will be fine. This is our "go to" place in Cannes for dinner (there are some charming little restaurants in that area) but I guess some enjoy it in the daytime. I should mention that some cruisers like to take the Petit Train to get a "riding tour" of much of the city. This is always an option for those who do not (or cannot) walk. You can Google "Cannes Petit Train" and read about that ride and its route.

Hank

We have been in Cannes last May. It was sunny but the wind was too cold to stay at the beach. Also the hotel beaches were mostly empty. Some beach restaurants at the beach clubs were open and there it was possible to sit. Think about the time you will be in Cannes. In May there is the famous film festival. Some of the beaches are completely closed for independent guests. Movie Productions use this places for parties. But maybe you will see some movie stars :)

Oh My. I had not even thought about the Film Festival. So, if you are going to be in Cannes during the festival it does change a few things because the city will be pretty full. This really does impact on the more famous Croisette area, but my little ole Plage du Midi will still be OK. If you get a nice warm day then laying on the beach will be fine, but swimming in the Sea is not going to be a good thing since the water will still be pretty darn chilly.

While we are on the subject of May (we love Europe in May) some folks may not understand that it is still spring weather which, in the south of France, can vary from nice warm days to chilly windy days. And the sea temperatures are a bit like the East Coast of the US in that the water has not really warmed to its summer temps. Even in the Greek Islands the water temps in May can be a bit chilly for most folks.

So, as much as many frequent travelers will say (do not go to the Med in July/Aug) we have always enjoyed our trips that time of the year. Sure it can get hot, but along the coast it is usually not a big deal. For swimming, we think the ideal travel month is September (and even early October) when the water is still warm and the crowds have thinned.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner