Excursions for coco cay/nassau with a 6yr old

leighi123

I'm looking for excursion ideas for my 6yr old and I, for both coco Cay and Nassau.

Last time we were in Nassau, we did the water park at Atlantis, fun, but little guy was too small for any of the slides, and is still too small so we went to do something different.

We haven't been to Coco Cay (went to Labadee last time and did the blow up water play climbing things, which was "ok" not something I'd do again)

We want to snorkel at least once, but are otherwise open to any ideas! He is a strong swimmer, willing to try anything including "educational" activities. We live in FL, so frequent the beach.

So what should we do? And should we book in advance (through the place we booked our cruise its a bit cheaper than through RCI), or just wait until we get there? Last time we did it when we got there, but I was traveling with 3 other adults.

Oops forgot about Nassau...a beach day if nice weather and the 6 yr likes the beach is good....cant dig too much sand.:D If the weather is not so great, a horse carriage ride is fun and though it is a little cheesy, if the 6 yr old likes pirates, the pirate museum[ an easy walk past the straw market which is always cool for kids] is fun too.

Favorite thing to do in Nassau is the Ardastra Zoo.

http://ardastra.com/

It is very clean and the animals are well taken care of. I was very impressed and I visit aquariums and zoos wherever I can.

CoCo Cay is a favorite stop, very different from Labadee. Snorkeling area is roped off and there are staff watching from towers in the water. There is also a map of sunken ships, planes, etc.. so you know where to swim.

coco cay has some of the best snorkeling, but a 6 yo seems a little young as the best fish are in deeper water. The lifeguards in the stand toss food out to attract them.

I'm sure a 6 yo would just love the beach with a couple of buckets and shovel.

Coco Cay has water park activities, snorkeling, nature walk which is always fun for kids. I also thing around lunch time they have games like limbo and stuff.

Nassau has a zoo, also a local beach that is in walking distance of the docks called Junkanoo beach, its free and he can swim there.

coco cay has some of the best snorkeling, but a 6 yo seems a little young as the best fish are in deeper water. The lifeguards in the stand toss food out to attract them.

I'm sure a 6 yo would just love the beach with a couple of buckets and shovel.

He has been snorkling sense he was 2 and could swim well before he could walk, water depth isn't an issue! He is on the swim team and swims at least a mile or more each practice 3x a week.

We do the beach thing at least once a week (he surfs/boogie boards/swims while I get to sit and watch), so I'd like to do something a little different for at least part of the day.

Favorite thing to do in Nassau is the Ardastra Zoo.

http://ardastra.com/

It is very clean and the animals are well taken care of. I was very impressed and I visit aquariums and zoos wherever I can.

CoCo Cay is a favorite stop, very different from Labadee. Snorkeling area is roped off and there are staff watching from towers in the water. There is also a map of sunken ships, planes, etc.. so you know where to swim.

Looks similar to our zoo: https://brevardzoo.org/

He would like the sunken ships and things - last cruise was a disney one and they have a "hidden mickey" that you look for when you snorkel - we never found it, but we spent a lot of time looking!

Ardastra Gardens was fun and I would recommend that as well - the best part was getting to feed the beautiful Lory Parrots! You go right into their enclosure and they land all over you and eat apple slices out of your hand. The flamingo parade was also cute. I got the distinct privilege of being picked to go stand in the ring with the flamingos and having to do my best flamingo imitation :rolleyes: (Really it's kind of corny for adults, but the kids seemed to love it).