Booked Sunshine, Thinking about the Breeze more and more

Cruzinbabe06

I am torn at this point and need everyone's input.

I took advantage of Carnivals $50 booking special and booked the Sunshine for Dec 8, 2014.

Its an 8 day with stops to Aruba, Curacao and Grand Turk. We have not been to any of these ports before. The price is kind of high. I picked an inside aft cabin on the 8th deck for $699 per person. $1527 for both of us.

The Breeze is also an 8 day, departing Dec 8 out of Miami, which is our favorite departure port. Sailing to St. Maarten, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk. We've been to all ports except Grand Turk. Hubby loves Sr Frogs in San Juan. We both love Orient beach in St Maarten. Been to St Thomas too many times to count, so it doesn't excite me. We cruise for beach days, so Grand Turk is exciting me.

I can get an ocean vew on Breeze for $669. And upgrade to a deluxe with an additional bathroom for $80 more on the Vista deck.

What would you do if you were me? I'm 70% sure of changing ships. I feel like I'm getting more for my money on the breeze.

From what I've been seeing on YouTube the Sunshine is beautiful.

However, the breeze is bigger, the price is cheaper affording us better accomodations and it get better reviews also a beautiful ship.

Edited by Cruzinbabe06

Go to Aruba and Curacao, they are amazing. We did Carnival excursions for both, plus had time in Curacao to hang out at night and listen to live music and have a beer by the swing bridge. I would go back there first before St Thomas and St Martin, jmo. The Sunshine reviews are on the way up....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

The Sunshine is a refurbished ship, however the ports are great.

It goes out of Port C. and if you are flying, you need to go into Orlando which is another hike to the port and cost. (about 50 min.)

The Breeze is newer and I think similar to the Dream which I have sailed 4 times and loved. Miami airport will be much easier to get to the port

I can't for the life of me understand why they are charging high prices for the Sunshine. I go out of Port C since I live close to that port, and chose the Liberty as opposed to the Sunshine bec. of price and age.

Joyce (formerly from S. Jersey)

You guys are hitting it right on the nail.

Both of your responses are how I feel.

Love the itinerary of the Sunshine. So excited about these 3 ports. And 4 sea days mixed in between. Love that also.;)

I myself think the Sunshine cost more because of the itinerary. I did book early saver so maybe if the price go down I can upgrade.

I would love a balcony, however not at $1100 per person.:eek:

Thanks guys for your input.

...IMHO, really a toss-up. Seems that price is close enough not to be an issue. Grand Turk is on both itineraries. I think it boils down to if you want three ports or four ports.

...Just returned yesterday from the Liberty. Sailed to St. Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk (also Half Moon Cay.) Great islands. The Breeze is a great ship! Great vibe on board with great food and service.

...But, though I haven't sailed the Sunshine yet, her ports are even better. Aruba and Curacao are great ports. Lots to do. Beach, shopping and sightseeing... all there.

...Again, I think it comes down to sea days. Wife and I enjoy the days at sea. Many others cruise for the ports. If the cruise and airline prices work out the same (or close) for both trips, I would definitely tell you to choose the.... SORRY, you'll have to decide. :-)

Edited by Doug910
spelling

Breeze was huge, but more people than we'd ever seen on a cruise ship. Serenity deck was packed most days, and the poolside music was live acoustic guitar straight out of a coffeehouse on a dark,rainy day in Seattle. Guys Burgers would make the mouth water of even the most ardent Vegan

Go to Aruba, take a tour round the island and stop off at a beach. Sand, sun and water is everything as advertised.

Curacao has upgraded the downtown since I was there in 89. Bit of a walk there, but the shops and floating bridge are worth it, as was a tavern called "Sopranos". Yep. Probably not licensed from the show, but great beer and fine cigars enjoyed in or out in the Old Fort.

...IMHO, really a toss-up. Seems that price is close enough not to be an issue. Grand Turk is on both itineraries. I think it boils down to if you want three ports or four ports.

...Just returned yesterday from the Liberty. Sailed to St. Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk (also Half Moon Cay.) Great islands. The Breeze is a great ship! Great vibe on board with great food and service.

...But, though I haven't sailed the Sunshine yet, her ports are even better. Aruba and Curacao are great ports. Lots to do. Beach, shopping and sightseeing... all there.

...Again, I think it comes down to sea days. Wife and I enjoy the days at sea. Many others cruise for the ports. If the cruise and airline prices work out the same (or close) for both trips, I would definitely tell you to choose the.... SORRY, you'll have to decide. :-)

Doug you're funny.:o

We love see days. Which is one of the reasons I booked this cruise.

Decisions, decisions

Breeze was huge, but more people than we'd ever seen on a cruise ship. Serenity deck was packed most days, and the poolside music was live acoustic guitar straight out of a coffeehouse on a dark,rainy day in Seattle. Guys Burgers would make the mouth water of even the most ardent Vegan

Go to Aruba, take a tour round the island and stop off at a beach. Sand, sun and water is everything as advertised.

Curacao has upgraded the downtown since I was there in 89. Bit of a walk there, but the shops and floating bridge are worth it, as was a tavern called "Sopranos". Yep. Probably not licensed from the show, but great beer and fine cigars enjoyed in or out in the Old Fort.

Thank you for the tidbit. Hubby love cigars and the Sopranos is his favorite. Have to look this place up.

And you're right about the guitar player on the lido. On the Glory couldn't wait for his hour to be up. So depressing.

We are in Aruba 1p to 10p. Since I've read Aruba beaches are the best. I plan on heading to Bugaloe Bar and rent chairs and umbrella and relax on the beach until evening and have happy hour and dinner on the pier.

As I'm writing this I'm smiling and picturing the sun setting while we're listening to live music.

You all are saying the same thing.

I'm going to stay with the Sunshine.

Thanks everyone for bringing me back to my senses.:D

Edited by Cruzinbabe06

We are booked for the same itinerary on the Sunshine on October 4th. We just did your the Breeze itinerary that you are looking at on the Freedom. The reason we chose to do the Sunshine was because of the ports. So I would stay with the Sunshine. However, if you have not been on the Breeze, it is a wonderful ship. Ok, so I am no help...LOL:)

I have not been on the Breeze, but that would be my choice. I just got off the Sunshine today, and was quite disappointed in the lack of space for the number of people on board. The balcony rooms were much smaller than on the Legend and Conquest. The food was very good, but there was no feeling of elegance in any area of the ship in my opinion. I felt the design was very poor. We have cruised on many different cruise lines, and on many different ships, and the Sunshine has been my least favorite by far!

We just got off Sunshine last week. I personally will never sail her again. If you can get same itinerary on Breeze or Freedom, take that ship. To crowded and bad service for me. Our 12th Carnival cruise and the only one I wouldn't take again.

we just sailed sunshine a couple of weeks ago sea days were definately crowded and its not summer yet cant imagine what that is gonna be like serenity is nice but very crowded on sea days so get ther early if you want to get a chair everything else ok but i have been on several cruises and like the other person said probably will not sail her again it would have to be a really good deal

We just got off the Sunshine. I really liked the ship. I could see the "crowded" remarks being true. The spaces on the SUnshine are designed a lot differently than most other ships. There are smaller spaces, and narrow walkways, which really make it seem crowded in places.

We really like the Comdey shows, and they are held in a small lounge. That was the only time we didn't get to do something we wanted. But they repeat the shows several times a night. Learned to just aim for the later shows. Or get there really early and know you had to wait 30 minutes for the show to start.

We never had a problem getting a seat in the main lounge. And the ATD was always available when we went.

The Serenity Deck was usually pretty full. But we were able find a spot. We arent very picky about being near a pool, etc, so there were usually chairs somewhere!

The staff was the friendliest I have ever seen. Just all around a good cruise.

Just know going in that it is just different from other Carnival ships, and enjoy the cruise!

I promise it was a better week than folks here at work had! :)

We are going on the sunshines 11 day cruise on April 6. I cannot wait!!! This will be my first cruise and I dont see anything about the sunshine that is going to disappoint me.

I think what some people are saying is the mega ships can be daunting at first. Our first time on the Dream (similar in size) was over peak Spring Break and we did not like the crowds. Getting off in port is a mad house if you want to be first off. The lines can go on forever in the small hallway down below by the gangway. Wait an hour if you can and then simply walk off without the waiting. Be sure to check other decks out and check areas at different times of the day. Serenity is usually empty in the evenings...few people skip dinner in the MDR and this can be a very nice time and place for near-solitude. The lido pool area can be wild fun like Fort Lauderdale/Panama City while the aft pool area is more laid back, IDK, like Destin;) Serenity is crowded by nine or ten a.m. We don't spend much time lounging in chairs since we are with kids by the slides a lot, sliding. On the Sunshine I want to try the ropes course. Hope you come back and write a review. We don't get on the Sunshine till 1/3/15. Have a great time!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

I am torn at this point and need everyone's input.

I took advantage of Carnivals $50 booking special and booked the Sunshine for Dec 8, 2014.

Its an 8 day with stops to Aruba, Curacao and Grand Turk. We have not been to any of these ports before. The price is kind of high. I picked an inside aft cabin on the 8th deck for $699 per person. $1527 for both of us.

The Breeze is also an 8 day, departing Dec 8 out of Miami, which is our favorite departure port. Sailing to St. Maarten, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk. We've been to all ports except Grand Turk. Hubby loves Sr Frogs in San Juan. We both love Orient beach in St Maarten. Been to St Thomas too many times to count, so it doesn't excite me. We cruise for beach days, so Grand Turk is exciting me.

I can get an ocean vew on Breeze for $669. And upgrade to a deluxe with an additional bathroom for $80 more on the Vista deck.

What would you do if you were me? I'm 70% sure of changing ships. I feel like I'm getting more for my money on the breeze.

From what I've been seeing on YouTube the Sunshine is beautiful.

However, the breeze is bigger, the price is cheaper affording us better accomodations and it get better reviews also a beautiful ship.

Well, it sounds like you just have to do both! I'm sailing the Breeze in 6 weeks and will be on that Dec 6,2014 Sunshine sailing as well. Sailed the Dream last year and loved her, so gotta' try them all!

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I will factor in about the crowds: With 4 sea days, we'll go to the brunch in the dining room. I had anytime dining, however, after reading some reviews changed to early dining. I want to just be able to walk to our table and sit down. Hopefully, finishing up by 730 and getting to the evening entertainment early, since the consensus is, the venues are small.

Serenity area looks so nice. The plan is to order room service for a continental breakfast early, then head to the area for a few hours in the morning, before going to brunch.

I've never tried the spa on any ship. Being that we have 4 sea days, I'm thinking of treating myself to a package.

Hubby gets up very early on all our cruises. His ritual is getting a specialty coffee then walking around on deck enjoying the quietness.

Hopefully the balcony price will go down and I can upgrade us.

Thx again everyone.

I definitely vote for the Breeze. We have had "o.k." cruises w/Carnival before, but the one on the Breeze was so much better! We liked the ship way better than other Carnival ships, and the food was really good! (This was 2 yrs. ago, but hopefully it's still that good.) Of course, we had John Heald as the C.D. and that always helps! The other thing is, w/re: to the 2 itineraries, I guess it depends upon what you like, but I personally think St. Maarten, St. Thomas and San Juan are just more interesting - both w/regard to things to do and how they look.

One last thing, I wouldn't think your ship would be super-crowded in early Dec. That is a bit off season with regard to MOST types of travel - not just cruises - due to the holidays and people preparing for them. Around mid-Dec. things begin to pick up as people begin to head to various destinations for Christmas and New Years, with the wk. between Xmas and New Years being popular.

Have fun whichever one you choose!