3 adults and Disability cabins with P&O Princess

Hip Synch

I rang 2 travel agents with my questions and they made me feel that if I wasn't going to go with them then I was wasting their time and so I would love to ask my questions on here.:(

My adult son (who can walk a little but then needs a wheelchair) his girlfriend and myself are taking a cruise from Sydney to Brisbane with P&O. I would like to know if disability cabins take 3 and if not is a mini-suite the next best? We want to be together and would like an unobstructed balcony view.

I've looked at the Princess line ship plans but would like to know which part of the ship is best for less noise and less traffic. Stern, middle or forward?

Thanks for any help. :)

IMO noise is more dependent on what's above or below the cabin. Check the deck plans as you generally don't want to be below the pool deck or a venue that's opened late into the night such as one of the night clubs.

For my money I prefer middle close to elevators. Generally you'll feel less movement in a middle cabin which is good if one of you are prone to sea sickness.

The deck plans will tell you whether the accessible cabin can accommodate three. You do not have a lot of choice with these cabins, as there are not many. You have to take them where they are located. In an accessible cabin, you can roll into the bathroom, and there is a fold down bench/seat in the shower. If cabin is not accessible, there is a step up into the bathroom and either a tiny shower, or a tub/shower. You need to tell us what ship you are looking at for more specific information. EM

The deck plans will tell you whether the accessible cabin can accommodate three. You do not have a lot of choice with these cabins, as there are not many. You have to take them where they are located. In an accessible cabin, you can roll into the bathroom, and there is a fold down bench/seat in the shower. If cabin is not accessible, there is a step up into the bathroom and either a tiny shower, or a tub/shower. You need to tell us what ship you are looking at for more specific information. EM

Also when booking an accessible cabin that can accommodate 3 people it's important to check if the 3 bed is a Pullman (similar to a bunk bed) or is Sofa bed. Seems a sofa bed is the better option for the OP.

Which ship?? We found on Princess that most accessible outside or balcony cabins have a bunk bed for the 3rd person, which means someone will have to go up a ladder to sleep. We have had, on some Princess ships, inside cabins for 3 with a sofa bed, which are very nice. We don't pay more for a window or balcony as we spend so little time in the cabin.

Thanks for your help everyone. We will be on the Dawn Princess from Melbourne to Tasmania.

I have just looked at a map of the Dawn Princess and put in 3 people and a Disabled Suite and it claims not to have any, therefore we will have to go with a mini-suite.

We would like a balcony because my son and I both suffer from MS and get tired very easily. Because of this we have naps and we feel that we will rest in our room quite often. This is also why we need quiet. The balcony will be a great place to rest.

I suppose which deck won't matter, is that right? We are looking at Aloha or Riviera and I will have to leave the Disabled Forum and hope a mini-suite will be any good for my son. Any comments would help.

Thank you all. :)

Edited by Hip Synch

Thanks for your help everyone. We will be on the Dawn Princess from Melbourne to Tasmania.

I have just looked at a map of the Dawn Princess and put in 3 people and a Disabled Suite and it claims not to have any, therefore we will have to go with a mini-suite.

We would like a balcony because my son and I both suffer from MS and get tired very easily. Because of this we have naps and we feel that we will rest in our room quite often. This is also why we need quiet. The balcony will be a great place to rest.

I suppose which deck won't matter, is that right? We are looking at Aloha or Riviera and I will have to leave the Disabled Forum and hope a mini-suite will be any good for my son. Any comments would help.

Thank you all. :)

According to the deck plans for the Dawn Princess there's only one (1) accessible balcony on the entire ship - Baja Deck C355. This cabin should able to accommodate 3 people according to this deck plan http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/dp/deck_plans/

Given that the most people needing an accessible book well in advance , the fact that the Dawn Princess has only 1 accessible balcony it mostly like gets booked the minute the sailing date is announced. So it doesn't surprise me that you couldn't get an accessible balcony.

Did you request to be placed on a wait list should Cabin B335 Accessible Balcony becomes available before final payment ?

Note the following equipment is available upon request at no charge should it be required by contacting Princess Special Needs Access Dept. If needed you should request prior to the cruise and not wait until day of boarding.

* Shower tool

* Raiser for toilet

* Bedboard.

Confused by your statement "I will have to leave the Disabled Forum" ? Just because you have booked a non-accessible cabin does not mean that you can no longer ask questions or post on this forum. If fact having had to book a non-accessible cabin is a very good reason to remain on this forum as there are numerous individuals that can provide assistance to you from their experiences. For example, I also have MS and at times have had to make do with a non-accessible cabin.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Thank you for your informative and quick answers, they really help. I think I meant that I would have to leave the forum for this cruise to find answers about mini-suites. I noticed that you also have MS and have used non-disability so you will be a great help. I will certainly have this as my main board because it answers all my needs.

I just went looking for both Tasmania trips in Dec and Jan '15 and both are booked out. I went right to the booking page and SOLD came up very quickly on what cabins were left.

I'm at quite a loss now and will perhaps try for a 4 day cruise. It's our first and we wanted at least 3 days at sea with 1 stop for sight seeing. Allowing for the wheelchair of course. For a first time cruiser this is disappointing as we wanted to go soon after June this year. Now, as you said when a trip is announced we will have to get in quickly.

ps: I didn't know there was a wait list and so should I put our names down for all balcony mini-suites on both cruises? And the stool, raiser and bedboard, are they available for non disability suites? My son just said that he can put up with a shower over a tub with help and also the small steps into the bathroom with help walking.

Thanks for your help. :)

Edited by Hip Synch
forgot to say something

I noticed that you also have MS and have used non-disability so you will be a great help. I will certainly have this as my main board because it answers all my needs.

The cabin doorways might be an issue for your son's wheelchair particularly if it's not a folding collapsible wheelchair. So you will have to check the doorway width before actually booking a non-accessible cabin. The cruise line will give you the width from door frame to door frame which than you have to deduct 2" for door depth as it does not close flush to the wall. For example is the doorway is 23" wide than deduct 2" making actual door with to be 21".

The bathroom in a non-accessible cabin has a step up into the bathroom . This varies from 4" to 8" high. There will be little to no grab bars so you might want to considering bring the removable suction type grab bars.

ps: I didn't know there was a wait list and so should I put our names down for all balcony mini-suites on both cruises? And the stool, raiser and bedboard, are they available for non disability suites?

Yes these items are available for any cabin type. However the shower stool will not be a transfer bench . It will only be a stool so your son must have the ability to get in an out by stepping over the side of the tub if the cabin does not have a stand alone shower.

I didn't know there was a wait list and so should I put our names down for all balcony mini-suites on both cruises?

Thanks for your help. :)

Believe you actually have to be booked into a non-accessible cabin first before being able to get on a wait list. Also there is no guarantee that any of the accessible cabins regardless of category will become available. If they do it's generally right before the final payment period as that's the time people can cancel and still get a 100% refund.

I'm still able to walk using a rollator and travel with a portable size scooter si that makes it easier for me to use a standard cabin.

Edited by xxoocruiser